Your shopping cart is empty.
1lindsay_s

Photos of very dark brown or black hardwood floors

L none
February 12, 2019
last modified: February 12, 2019

I have to pick a stain for the hardwoods throughout our house. We have lots of white elaborate crown mouldings, white kitchen cabinets and built-ins, a white trim fireplace with white stone hearth, and oversized windows and French doors (so tons of natural light). I am considering a very dark hardwood floor (black or almost black). Can anyone share photos of their dark brown or black hardwood floors?

As an aside, I know that dark hardwood floors show dirt. However, we do not have pets, we are a shoeless household, and we will have help cleaning the house ,so I'm not overly worried about maintenance issues. That being said, horror stories are also welcome :)

Comments (18)

• PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

You should bring samples home before making the decision, and they look stunning, but I'll just warn you they are impossible to keep looking nice.

I have them in my home. I too am a pet-free, shoeless, and clean household. It doesn't matter. Every crumb, piece of dust, water drop, lint piece etc shows. As soon as you vacuum/sweep it looks as if you didn't. Personally I'll never go dark again but if you're okay with it constantly showing dirt then go for it because they do look nice.

L none thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • Helen

As posted above, it's not a question of being shoeless or pet less but that every speck of normal household dust will show up as dirt.

My neighbor installed them - shoeless and pet less with household help and regrets the decision because they require almost 24/7 maintenance.

L none thanked Helen
  • L none

Thank you for your input! Also, this scares me. The house is over 5000 square feet and I was hoping to not vaccum all of it every time it's cleaned (for example, it would be nice to not have to clean the third floor guest suite and bonus room every week, because nobody will be up there). Are you saying that just the dust in the house will make the floors look really dirty even if nobody is walking around on that level to dirty them? When I was thinking of dirt, I thought of it more as actual outside dirt and water or crumbs in the kitchen. I wasn't really considering lint.

• Helen

Yes just the dust in the air will show up on dark floors.

Think of the difference between a light colored car and a black car.

L none thanked Helen
  • PRO
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Yup, EVERYTHING will show. You might think this is an exaggeration but I promise it's not. A medium-dark hardwood will give you the same richness but be more manageable.

L none thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • PRO
    Oak & Broad

Here is a project one of our clients did with a darker finish. The floors are Rift & Quartered White Oak.

L none thanked Oak & Broad
  • anna_682

I have medium dark hardwood floors on my entire first floor (2000 sq ft) and I love them. I use a dust mop on them daily. No big deal. It only takes a few minutes. I have them in one room upstairs and it is more of a PITA to keep clean. Are you using them upstairs too?

L none thanked anna_682
  • L none

Hi Anna,

Yes, we would finish all 3 upper levels in hardwood floors (except the bathrooms and mudroom). To your point, I wouldn't mind using a dustmop daily on the main level (which I think is a bit less than your 2000 SF), once or twice a week on the second level, and whenever I get to it on the third level :). Our housecleaner would likely come every week or every other week, as well.

I bet your floors are gorgeous!

• kulrn

My old house. Medium brown floors. Loved them, Not bad with dirt.

L none thanked kulrn
  • PRO
  • PRO
  • PRO
    L none thanked Unique Wood Floors
  • PRO
  • PRO
    Unique Wood Floors

Above are a few projects we have done in dark color floors.

• PRO
    Patricia Colwell Consulting

I loved my dark floors in my last house and would not have traded them for anything. A swiffer with 2 big hairy dogs was all I needed to keep them clean in between vacuuming even on the days we showed the house when it was for sale.This color was called wenge maybe not quite as dark as you want but I say do it if you love them

L none thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting
  • L none

Thank you for sharing this perspective!

• PRO
    HALLETT & Co.

This is my house. The floors are beautiful. They show EVERYTHING. Would never do again.

L none thanked HALLETT & Co.
  • Cece
    I have dark wood floors much like Unique wood floors pictured above and have had them for about 3 years. I chose them because I loved the elegant look of dark wood, despite what I had read about maintenance. There are two of us here and I have not regretted my choice for a second. I run the Rumba every few days and dust mop once a week or so and the floors look great. Now, when the 4 grandkids are here it’s an every day clean-up to keep them clean, but I think that’s true with any floor. If dark wood is what you love then do it.
    L none thanked Cece

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).