0
joyceconnolly

We recently moved into a 1920s Tudor. I am looking to install a runner

joyceconnolly
last modified: February 12, 2019

We recently moved into a 1920s Tudor. I am looking to install a runner on the stairs. The hardwood floors have been refinished and the walls were painted a bone white. I am looking to install a runner and finish decorating the walls, change ceiling lighting and perhaps add accent furniture. what type of runner should I select to complement the oriental rug and what other suggestions do you have to complete the space.

When I reread my comment it didn’t read the way I meant it….sorry, so I erased it.

House is beautiful…especially the wood work.

I just chose a wool herring bone for a client with an older home and we both loved it.

A lighter tone which is in the rug?

• joyceconnolly

Thank you for your suggestion. I love the herringbone pattern. I was not sure whether to do a patterned rug or more simple. I was concerned that a pattern might look too busy but wasn’t sure if a simpler design would look too modern. Also, I had not mentioned that the runner will be secured with traditional brass hardware on the treads. Do you think the hardware will complement the herringbone pattern?

• Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

Your house is gorgeous. I love everything about it. I have just spent tons of time agonizing about stair runners myself. I have an light colored Oushak in my entry way. My final decision was seagrass, with beige wool with a tone on tone pattern being my close second. I chose the seagrass for the texture. I wanted to want the antelope pattern from Stark, because I love those colors, but I am not an animal print girl. Runner has not been installed yet.

joyceconnolly thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real

I just saw the comment about using the brass hardware- I would definitely not get seagrass then. Tone on tone wool would be better. You are not limited to herringbone. There are other patterns to consider.

BeverlyFLADeziner

I like the herringbone. If you do a runner that matches the area rugs, it will just be too matchy matchy.

joyceconnolly thanked BeverlyFLADeziner

I would do something simpler jst cream and a red edge detail this is the wrong red but you get the idea

joyceconnolly thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting