Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
primdawg

Where to put opening into walk in shower?

Annette Holbrook(z7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

When I redo my master bath, I‘m adding a bumpout to create a bigger shower. Due to some restrictions on the exterior this is the best spot to put the bumpout. The toilet is staying where it is and the duct space can’t be changed. The doors into. The bedroom and closet are pocket doors and will be staying. The only window in the bathroom will be in the shower, or it may end up as a skylight in the bumpout. Currently there is no window in the bathroom at all so anything is an improvement on that front. Because of that I’m trying to keep as much glass as possible. However I do want some wall space in order to put a towel rack or towel warmer.

This is the look I’m aiming for. However my toilet is NOT next to the shower, it’s across. I’m thinking a 24-30” wide opening. I can do a hinged door or just a clear shower curtain.

Option 1, a bit cheaper since plumbing is pretty close and won’t have to move light switch in closet. However opening is right at the duct work wall so could feel tight. The space is 34“ at that point.

Option 2. This is a bit costlier as plumbing has to travel and closet light switch needs to be relocated. The opening should feel less claustrophobic but I’m not sure how I feel about the opening right across from toilet. But it’s a bathroom so the toilet has to be somewhere lol.

Thoughts?

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Lauren Jacobsen Interior Design
    5 years ago

I would select Option 1. I don't care for the door opening out in the toilet area nor the view.

Put a nice piece of art on the duct wall, should be fine, looks like you have enough clearance for outward shower door swing.

• Mrs Pete
    5 years ago

I would select Option 1. I don't care for the door opening out in the toilet area nor the view.

Put a nice piece of art on the duct wall, should be fine, looks like you have enough clearance for outward shower door swing.

Yes, I buy into each of these thoughts.

Also, option 1 means you can have a small bath mat in front of the toilet and a small bath mat in front of the shower door ... whereas, if you go with option 2, it'll be hard to find one big mat that'll work between the two.

And because option 1 places the shower door close to the linen closet, so when you finish showering and realize you have no towel, you'll be able to "reach around the corner" and drip less on the floor.

I really like your inspiration picture ... except that the shower entrance looks narrow, but I think your floorplan door looks larger.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My inspiration pic seems to be a 48”- 54” shower I think. Mine will be 60”-66” depending on framing.

I will hang art on the duct wall in the summer. The rest of the year I will hang staghorn ferns.

• mayflowers
    5 years ago

Option 1 because of the narrow passage between the duct and shower. In 2, you'll brush towels as you walk by.

Go larger than 24" for the shower door. My walk-in closets have a 24" door and I need to turn sideways a little to walk through. I'd do 26"-28".

• Kris Mays
    5 years ago

Option 1 hands down! 34" is plenty of clearance, there.

• pamghatten
    5 years ago

Be mindful of how long you plan on living in this house and using the space. Maybe you have another shower with a wider opening? I'm in my late 50's and have already had a hip replacement and a knee replacement. Both times I needed to get into my shower with a walker for a while.

• felizlady
    5 years ago
    If you have another door from the bedroom into the closet, I would permanently close up the door from the bathroom into the closet. You don’t want moisture in the closet with your clothes!! If you have no other door, DO open one directly from the bedroom into the closet and close up the wall between the bathroom and the closet.
  • Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

No other way to get into the closet. However in the house we had before this cabin, the closet was off the bathroom in a very similar layout. Never had an issue with moisture in 23 years and I was the queen of ridiculously long, hot showers. Maybe because where we are, heat or air is always on in some form, so humidity in the house is kept in check.

• suzanne_m
    5 years ago

One more vote for option one. I think 34 in. is enough but if you feel cramped you will most likely move one step towards to the larger area without even notice it.

• Annette Holbrook(z7a)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I think I’m going to set it up with option 1, but not install a door. I’ll frame it out so I can add a glass door down the road but I think a curtain will suffice for a while.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living