Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vickybania

Please help me with my new living room decoration!!!

Vicky Z
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

Good morning everyone.

This is my new dining table and sofa.

The coffee table should be changed also (maybe with something white) and I want to put a mirror or painting over the sofa too.

I am also thinking of putting a side table or a drawer in the right side of the sofa (as you see it).

The point is that I want a fresh, light and chic living room so this is why white is the main color in rugs, curtains, chairs etc.

PS: I will also put a fake decorative fireplace where you can now see the tv table and tv will be over the fireplace on the wall.

Can you give me tips and advice please? Specially for the coffee table would you suggest me to put around or a square one?

Any ideas will be really useful. Thank you!

Comments (27)

• J Williams
    5 years ago

or an oval table, sometimes they are more flexible in tight spaces than a rectangle

Vicky Z thanked J Williams
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

Love what you have going on so far. I too would skip the fireplace and get a long, low, white cabinet for your television. Pull the drapery rod out so that it covers more of the wall on each side, pull the drapes to the ends of the rods (outside should be at the finials, and inside edges should just cover side of window - you may need to add a panel on each side), and eliminate the tie backs. If you can, get blinds for the windows rather than the sheers(?) you have now. Get a large painting for behind the sofa, and hang it lower. Put a small table on the window side of the sofa, with a tall lamp. Add some textured pillows, too.

Can you return the coffee table and chairs from the dining set? If so, I'd switch the coffee table for a round one and find some chairs that read less "country". I'd also take back the rug by the sofa and get the next size up if possible.

Another thing - I know you want to keep things on the white side, but an accent color would work wonders for your room. Maybe a bit of turquose and gold in the pillows, sofa table decor, and artwork? Your space will still be light, and it will look more pulled together.

Some examples:

Vicky Z thanked Sammie J
  • Vicky Z
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you all for your precious help.

I have many things to do because I just started :)

l will definitely put a small coffee table and a tall lamp on the side of the window near the sofa.

Also I will replace this floor lamp with something bigger and "richer".

Regarding the fireplace, I wanted this for such a long time (see photo below-mine will be white) -I think it's going to give a cozy atmosphere and I will decorate it inside with many white candles. I will certainly follow your advice for the curtains and the drapes too and will put a new ceiling lamp.

I will really appreciate your opinion about the shape and color of the new coffee table that I'm going to put in front of the sofa. I am thinking of square white table, or a black marble round table with gold legs..What do you think? Thank you :)

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

I like what you are doing but a few thoughts. I would change the dining room look if possible. A smaller round table and upholstered parsons chairs would look nicer with your theme. No carpet under the dining room and loose the other small carpet. Only one carpet in the living space. Definitely a round table for the living. I LOVE the fireplace idea and think you should definitely do that. Yes it will be more warm and cozy in looks and when functioning. I would not introduce black tables at all. Too harsh against the soft tones you have created and will clash. Stick to light colored, glass or metals combination and definitely round. If you must keep table change chair to parsons style. Nicer lighting too for your lovely spaces. Best wishes!

Vicky Z thanked R.D. London Studios
  • Vicky Z
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you London and Staging! That was really helpful, very useful advice.

Regarding the chairs, I also made some custom pillows (black and white country style) for them to match them better with the table. Is it wrong?

• Vicky Z
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I will update pics tonight so that you can see.

• iheartsix
    5 years ago
    Love the fireplace idea.
  • Marian Macias
    5 years ago

Hi Vicky, I love what you have done with the room, now, that being said, i wouldn't change the coffee table, I love it! It looks perfect with the sectional. I have a sectional too, and if it wasn't because i already have an ottoman that goes with the sectional, that would be the coffee table style I would buy.

What I would do is change the art above the sofa, instead of white curtains, add gray to give more contrast. Get a bigger area rug, not white. Add a long tv console and hang the tv on the wall, add a few colorful throw pillows to the sofa. Instead of the lantern on the coffee table you could put these candlesticks

Vicky Z thanked Marian Macias
  • J J
    5 years ago
    following
    Vicky Z thanked J J
  • lovemrmewey
    5 years ago

That sofa is stunning! What is the color?

• Laura Villar
    5 years ago

following

Vicky Z thanked Laura Villar
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Hey, if you want a fireplace, go for it. Nothing ads a cozy/cosy feel to a room quite like it. There are lots of small, inexpensive ones that can also serve as room heaters.

As for your table dilemma, I feel ya! (Slang for "I get it.") I like that table but having lived in tiny spaces most of my life, I know that one problem finding a great coffee table is that they don't make a lot of choices in small ones!! The one we have my husband hates and I don't much like but it is small and has storage so it is staying so far until we find a better one we both like. So keep looking. In the meantime, have you considered just doing a storage ottoman or even two small storage cubes or two small square tables? A table taking up that much realestate in my tiny space would have to do double duty in some way. You can put a tray on an ottoman to display items on like you would on a table. Plus if you bump your legs on them, they are softer.

Lastly, I hate to say this, because you did not ask for any direction in this way, but I don't think your chairs match your dining table. At the very least, paint the white parts black so they look less "country" against your other modern pieces. That would bring out their wood seats that match the table top. I had the same chairs in my last house and loved them, so practical and comfortable. But maybe someday you can find some that are just as nice but more modern.

I'm not sure where you are from, but IKEA is a great source for inexpensive basics for small spaces, and also a restaurant supply company is a great source for a diverse, inexpensive selection of chairs.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Vicky Z thanked groveraxle
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

The tiebacks make the drapes look fussy and dated. Adjust the curtains to cover the rods, replace the painting with something large and hang it lower over the sofa. The ottoman can be used as a coffee table with a nice tray on it. Can you return the coffee table?

• jamminjm
    5 years ago

I love your sofa. Where did you get it and what brand?

Vicky Z thanked jamminjm
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Coming back to add that I had a fake fireplace in my last house in the living room. No chimney, so not even possible to make it function. I put candles in the firebox. It took up a lot of space, and all it did was make me wish I had a real fireplace. I almost never lit the candles. If you put in a fireplace, I would advise you to consider something with a fake fire that serves as a space heater. Otherwise, make it something minimal and arty that evokes a fireplace but doesn't take up a lot of space. You don't want your TV mounted so high that it is uncomfortable to watch.

They make electric fireplace TV storage units designed for just this dual purpose. This is not necessarily one I would chose or use in your situation, and you could rig up a salvaged frame to serve a similar function, but it is an example of what could be done.

Vicky Z thanked l pinkmountain
  • erinsean
    5 years ago

I have a comment about the fireplace with the TV over it....with the picture you posted, it looks like the TV will be too high up for viewing comfortably. I like the tv cabinet Pinkmountain posted. Both fireplace and low enough to watch TV. As for your table and chairs......Could you turn your table the other way.....will stick out in front of your kitchen a little, but I would like to see that. I do agree a round one would be better but if you have to work with what you have....you can try different things. Groveraxle's picture of your curtains is great!

Vicky Z thanked erinsean
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Please no tv console/fireplace combo. They may actually be worse than vases of sticks.

Vicky Z thanked groveraxle
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Why so GA? I thought I hated fake fireplaces, but if I was going to have one, I would sure want it to serve the function of giving off heat . . . if I needed that. I live in the frozen north country. Otherwise, it is just something to dust to me. I also realized that if you live in a dark grey area of the country (I do), there is nothing wrong with getting artistic pieces that evoke the light and warmth of a fire. So much the better if you can chose sometimes to just have the light.

My dad has one of those colored sparkly heaters in his basement, and at first I thought, "How gauche!" but when I changed my perspective and thought of it as a piece of art that not only pleases the eye but serves a function, I changed my mind. I don't much care for the look of a TV over the fireplace, and since I use my fireplace daily, I don't like thinking about how the heat would affect my electronics, but having a TV over the fireplace is pretty much ubiquitous nowdays, particularly in warmer climates. My comment was only to consider that I had a fake fireplace which had a SINGULAR purpose of being a decorative feature, and it took up way too much wall space to be practical for me, it was nothing more than something that was a pain to dust, and made me want the warmth of a real fireplace. It was too high to mount a TV over so mine was on a shelving unit to the side, but my TV was smaller than the huge ones popular today. When I bought the house it was a huge charm feature for me, but that faded very fast. Fast forward, my landlady once loaned me these big square space heaters to help with the heat in my un-insulated apartment. They had one function, to heat the room and were otherwise ugly black blobs.

Here's a photo of my fake fireplace. A lovely white elephant. I did not think so when I bought the place. Of course YMMV, just giving you the perspective of someone who lived in a tiny house with a fake fireplace for 12 years.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Vicky, here’s a photo of country chairs with a modern dining table. I thought it might inspire you. Maybe hang

a black and white abstract painting over the table?

Vicky Z thanked Amanda Smith
  • Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Here’s a slim and sleek looking fireplace you might like.

Vicky Z thanked Amanda Smith
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

Vicky I'm not trying to hog your post but today I ran across the cutest photo on Instagram of a redo Gloria Vanderbuilt did of her fireplace! I can't figure out how to post just the photo but here's a link to the page. I love fireplaces, real or not. This shows how if you think out of the box you could turn it into a real art piece for your place! Not sure how crafty you are, but anyway, I thought it was fun to look at.https://www.instagram.com/p/BUkq79ajuGv/?utm_source=ig_embed

• Vicky Z
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hello everyone.

The sofa is a velvet one and the color is something between light grey, lilac and silver :)

I just bought a new round marble coffee table with gold legs and I am waiting for it during the week. I find really useful all your comments for my next changes in the living room. Please keep updating me with new advice. Thank you all!

I will post more and more photos step by step :)

• Vicky Z
    Original Author
    5 years ago

This is my new coffee table.

• PRO
    R.D. London Studios
    5 years ago

Lovely choice Vicky! Best wishes!

Vicky Z thanked R.D. London Studios
  • Seajay Sparkles
    5 years ago
    Love the coffee table, Vicky. Nice choice.