Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
peyton_moran

Hardie vs. Allura Siding

P M
5 years ago
We are building a new home in NC and are deciding between Hardie siding or Allura siding. Our builder says the cost is similar between the two, so we are looking for some feedback on the different types. Any recommendations?

Comments (19)

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    5 years ago

Did you look at LP Smartside? I used in my last build and will be using again. Looks just like Hardie but not as expensive.

• Pinebaron
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hardie all the way; is a better tried and tested product, proven to work over time, better warranty (compared to LP). Termite resistance, impact resistance, fire resistance, to name a few.

Hardie is of course heavier and comparitively harder to install and should be installed by a good and experienced installer. After having built four previous homes all with stucco, we went with Hardie in our new home which incidently has a massive amount of Hardie; we designed the layout and I built jigs for the experienced installers. Finally followed by three coats of the best exterior paint and it's hopefully going to last my lifetime. We even considered aluminium however that has its own set of limitations. Allura siding may be even more expensive than Hardie.

And don't buy prepainted Hardie if you have large areas to cover, subsequent painting provides a more seamless look.

A few pics while it was being built.

• P M
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    @pinebaron- I thought Allura's warranty was much longer than Hardie?
  • Pinebaron
    5 years ago

Sorry I was comparing to LP; I just clarified.

• User
    5 years ago
    Missi thanks for the info on lp. I was going to use Hardie but am leaning more towards lp smartside now.
  • girl_wonder
    5 years ago

My architect called out Hardie for our addition. Here's an article comparing your two brands. I don't know how reputable this website this, but they list pros and cons. Cost seems to be a big difference. Is a 30 year warranty that much worse than 50 years?

https://www.sidingcost.org/james-hardie-vs-allura-fiber-cement-siding/

• PRO
    Missi Smith Design Co.
    5 years ago
    I figure I'll probably be dead in 30 years and for sure in 50! Ha!
  • BT
    5 years ago

Looks awesome @Pinebarron, just couple questions ... (1) no soffits, exposed eaves? (2) what was this matching color for Andersen windows / exposed rafters ?

• Pinebaron
    5 years ago

BT: In my framing design, I chose to bring out the beauty of exposed rafter tails; with hardie trim facia boards, providing an 18" overhang, the underside painted matt black all around and that is over 500' of exposed rafter tails perimeter; not too many actually notice but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Painters did a phenominal job.

Anderson windows and deck sliders were ordered all black exterior and white interior except the 5 pane mulled transom window section above our entry door which has black frame on both sides.

I did not take too many pictures but here's one of the same section before they were painted and another one of the left side garage overhang with exposed rafter tails, then last one, a framing pic of the second floor media room.

• PRO
    Custom Interiors, LLC
    5 years ago

As a designer that works with new home construction clients out of Wisconsin, I would vote for James Hardie. Wisconsin homes take a crazy fluctuation of weather. James Hardie holds up well. We rarely get warranty calls for this product.

Happy Home building!

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    5 years ago

PM, Congratulations on your new home. To confuse you further I would suggest the following. I would recommend James Hardie Siding over LP Siding due to the seams being more visible. See the attached beautiful home that on the right of the front porch you can see how visible the seams are. This is a an approved installation that was inspected by an LP representative and is inherent with this product. They are both great products other than the seams and I truly feel it is worth the extra cost to utilize James Hardie Siding. However, as it relates to the trim I would go LP smart trim due to its overall lengths and its wood like aesthetics. The Hardie trim is more expensive, shorter lengths, heavier to install, and has a repetitive wood grain pattern that is visible when more than one board is placed together which is typical on most homes. Therefore the cost spent on the James Hardie siding can be offset by utilizing the LP smart trim. That is my Vote.

• PRO
  • PRO
  • User
    5 years ago

icon, beautiful house, and those seams dont bother me at all. love the color in that first pic.

what size exposure are those boards

• PRO
    Icon Building Group
    5 years ago

DE,

Thank you, the exposure is 6" reveal.

• PRO
    Bryant Builders LLC
    3 years ago

Ive been building for 30 years and have used different brands of fiber board. I have questions presented to me about pros and cons frequently. Since we all have internet access and can research products, it helps compare. What the online comparisons do not tell you is how it really holds up. Lets say you go with a less expensive concrete fiber board and your builder installs it -pre primed but cannot get it painted for two months. If it is rainy where you live-DO NOT DO IT. Moisture will absorb into the fiberboard and thus ruin the pre primed finish and thus void your warranty. The only time you want the LP Smart siding or similar product is if you will get paint on it immediately-never let it get wet until painted, or you just want to save the money upfront and risk the consequences. I have used combinations in some cases at request of owners. When scraps have been thrown into a pile together, by time we cleaned up and hauled off-you can see how the products, other than James Hardi siding-fell apart ( yes-fell apart from moisture). I do not discourage smart siding or similar-just be cautious and handle materials properly. Done right, they are all beautiful.

• jon1003
    3 years ago

It seems like some posters here are confusing LP SmartSide (compressed wood and resin) with PPG Allura which is fiber cement similar to Hardie.

• Pam Martin
    3 years ago

Has anyone used a company called Woodtone. They apply a finish on hardie board that is 2 layers, making it appear more like wood. See rustic summer wheat. My contractor thinks it would be hard to patch if chipped. Any thoughts?