0

kitchen island counter top redo

Sarah Powers

we are redoing our kitchen but leaving the current islands footprint due to the sink and dishwasher being located there. We currently have a higher level on the island but in the remodel I am considering having the counter all one level. the first two pictures are my island currently and the second is what I am leaning toward doing.

keep higher top
all one level countertop

Tetrachrome Design, LLC

Hi Sarah - If you keep your kitchen super clean and free of clutter all the time, then I would say, one level for the countertop. One of the reasons that one level in that photo looks so good is because it has nothing on it. If in your kitchen you notice that, naturally, things do tend to pile on your counter, then I would go with the two levels since it natural helps to hide clutter.

• Sarah Powers
    I totally agree! I was thinking 1 level would make the kitchen look bigger. the island is definitely a catch all and the second level hides the stuff well!
  • Sarah Powers

would this counter too and backsplash look good in the space? do they look good together?

• Karen Rose
    I love the counters but not sure about the backsplash with the cabinets. What color are you painting the room?
  • Sarah Powers

room was planned to stay it's current color. I'm just really trying to make that counter top work but maybe it's just not meant to be ? below is current wall color and another backsplash idea

• Sarah Powers

there is a pic of the backsplash with white cabinets

Norwood Architects

This is a personal preference but don't like the thin edge of the granite in your inspiration photo. Prefer there to be some thickness to the edge along with some apron. Just looks better and more substantial in my opinion.

• Sarah Powers
    totallu agree! I was thinking a totally different counter top and the edge you are describing. I was more showing the backsplash
  • NewEnglandgal

I really like the backsplash with the white cabinets in the picture above. If you love it, find a counter top that compliments the tile! There are so many choices out there. Do you want granite or are you looking more towards a quartz? 3 cm thickness would be better. I also like the look of one level for your island. I had the two tiered level like yours, renovated and made the island one level. LOVED it and it absolutely did open up the kitchen. I had my cooktop in the island. I had no trouble keeping it clean of mail or clutter. That went on the back counter lol

• Sarah Powers
    I am open to a granite , quartz or quartzite! as long as it looks good!
  • kim k
    Can you post a pic of the other side of the kitchen? It’s really hard to match a BS to a counter until it’s installed and you can see both in the same lighting. I also vote one level. Why design around the potential of having clutter?? Keep it one level it will look so open and beautiful you’ll want to locate the catch all elsewhere :)
  • Sarah Powers
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>here is the other side of the kitchen
  • damiarain

Your picture didn't post... here is the link to your other post which has additional pictures

• Sarah Powers

here is the other side of the kitchen

Icon Building Group

I agree with Tetrachrome's earlier comment's and a single level top. Although the sink is not within the island you can envision how much more useful the countertop space can be.

D Old Granite LLC

granite will give a great reflection of the light;

• Sarah Powers
    I love granite! I just don't want a typical looking one like at the big box stores. I am going to a huge warehouse in Farmington Hills , Mi to look tomorrow!
    D Old Granite LLC

cool, there are many quartzites, natural quartz and trachytes in the market, that don`t have that same look of old granites :)

• rantontoo

Look at leathered and brushed slabs too!

• Sarah Powers

so I found the PERFECT counter top. it's called Dinergy by Aurea stone. unfortunately it is a LOT more than the silestone calacatta gold that I was originally liking. So I am trying to think of ways to make it work with Dinergy. maybe do a solid color on the counter on either side of the stove and do Dinergy on the island? here are pictures of Dinergy. the veining is beige/taupe/cream instead if grey.

• damiarain

Pretty slab! Something to think about, due to the shape of your island, therell very likely be a seam - with such a bold pattern, this can be hard to match and a bad seam kind of ruins the whole thing. Possibly you could put this on your perimeter counters and pick a coordinating color with no/subtle pattern for the island

• Sarah Powers
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>good thinking. I should probably ask about the possibility of a seam. I don't have much counter space aside from the island. Im not sure it's even enough space to show that pattern. it's being priced out for me but they said it could be double- which is rediculous. that would mean 15 grand in countertops for my little kitchen?! these areas in either side of the stove is the only other counter space I have
  • Sarah Powers
    is there a typical place that they would put the seam? like at the sink, so it would be a shorter seam?
  • damiarain

What are the dimensions of the island?

• Sarah Powers

these are the dimentions from the rough estimate, they have not been out to physically measure yet but it's close