0

Cabinet Crown Height

Ellen
We are having Shaker style caibets made.Our old cabinets have a small crown. designer is recommending 3-1/2 to 4" tall crown for new cabs. Isn't that a bit much for Shaker style? It won't be going to ceiling, just sitting atop cabinets. Currently we have about 2-1/2". I'm thinking something simple, not ornate, that angles out only slightly, and is no taller than 3", measured vertically. what do you think?

• Karen Rose
    Mine go to the ceiling, but they’re 5”, simple style. We matched it to the crown in the rest of the room. I think you’ll be good with 2 1/2”.
  • Ellen

Karen Rose - That looks really pretty. Yeah, we don't have any crown in the rest of the room that our kitchen is open to (the family room). We do have crown in the formal living/dining, but it's not even visible in the kitchen/fam room. It was at one point suggested we match the crown in the formal area. And I just don't see the reason for that. Family room is a much more casual area.

• Shannon_WI

Please let us know how high is your kitchen ceiling? How tall are the upper cabinets? The proportion of cabinets to ceiling height plays into the crown size. Perhaps your previous crown was undersized - hard for us to know. Did your designer give a reason as to why she prefers the larger crown? Also, please tell us why your cabinets are not going up to the ceiling?

Design Loft

Even though you're not going to the ceiling, a higher crown will add height to your cabinets.

How tall are your cabinets? 30", 36", etc? A 4" crown on a 30" upper may look a little top heavy. Can your KD show you, ether from previous projects, or a rendering, how the 3 1/2" & 4" will look in comparison to the shorter 2"-3"? This is something I do with my clients so that they can better visualize their kitchen.

• nhbaskets
    We have very simple crown.

Design Loft

nhbaskets ... Beautiful kitchen! Your kitchen has the angled crown which I love to recommend to my clients, the only thing about yours that might be different to the OP is that yours also has the Frieze board or Starter moulding that the crown is attached to. I may be reading into it, but I believe that the OP is not being offered this combo. Just a rather large crown.

• nhbaskets

Good question. I wonder if the 3.5"-4" includes the frieze. IMO, it looks better with it.

• Ellen
    Here is a quick snap of current cabinets. we have 10 foot ceiling that angles down to the sink wall. current uppers are 42”. new ones are specified as 40-1/2" because our space between lowers at bottom of uppers isnanbit small. that space will be 18 so uppers will be shorter. reason not to go to ceiling is because we don't want them that high.
  • Ellen

oops forgot pic

• Ellen
    So I think choices are short crown, a little higher than current, and they would be at the top of that wall where it meets the ceiling, or we can shorten the cabinets further, to allow a larger crown. I want to keep simple. I'm not a fan of huge crowns, but I do like a crown to finish things off.
  • Ellen
    nhbaskets, your kitchen is beautiful. I love the backsplash accents
    Design Loft

Ellen .... With that wall height & cabinetry height, I would probably recommend the taller moulding as well. However, I would recommend it with the crown & frieze combination like you see in nhbaskets kitchen picture above. A 2"-3" looks very "stubby", out of proportion, on tall cabinetry, IMPO. If you don't mind me saying.

• Ellen
    design loft. that makes sense. But then the cabs need to be smaller, or else the cabinetmaker will need to miter the ends of the crown to fit the ceiling on the shorter wall. I think that would be okay, right? I saw a picture of that once, but can't find it now, of course.
  • Ellen

they would need to do something like this. this is in our family room. (we have lots of angles!)

Design Loft

I completely understand your dilemma.

Yes, the unfortunately thing with angled ceilings. I think with any moulding you'll need to do this though. With the exception of the 2". I'm assuming that's why it was done on your existing? No one wanted to cut moulding to that ceiling. Unless you reduce the cabinetry height enough to get the moulding under that angle. But then you are loosing on storage space. A good installer will be able to scribe the moulding into that ceiling. I've done it in my previous life as a Cabinetmaker.

Everything is a happy balance between functionality & aesthetics. I think that balance will be created with a taller moulding.

Can you mock up something to mimic a larger moulding on your existing to help you visualize what it might look like?

• Ellen
    yes, I think my husband and I are gonna grab some molding at the store and play with it. (he doesn't know it yet lol). I have to see stuff. so, a frieze is nice, but it can be small right? not too tall? I do like our angled ceilings, even though they present challenges.
  • nhbaskets

The frieze can certainly be smaller. This is what I had in my previous home.

• Ellen
    nhbaskets. Thanks. that helps me a lot.
  • Ellen
    Thanks y'all. This has been so helpful. I really appreciate it.
  • Ellen

Hey all, here is the picture I was trying to find. Google helped me again. Do you think this looks okay? or funny? This would be on cabinets that flank our sink area, which is on the wall that has the shorter ceiling. Because if we do a short frieze plus a crown, to equal overall height of 3.5-4", then we would have to scribe like this. Or else diminish cabinet height to 39", instead of 40.5.

Design Loft

Ellen ..... Personally, & professionally, I think this looks fine & is perfectly acceptable. Your home will not be in the minority of homes that have some little quirkiness like this. Just make sure the guy installing it knows how to scribe.....properly, without gobs of caulking. BTW...whom ever installed that one did a nice job.