rideauroselad

Paul Barden’s Rose Varieties Are Becoming Rare

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a
last modified: February 14, 2019

I am writing this post following some correspondence that I have had with Paul that began a couple of months back. Originally, I contacted Paul to discuss the idea of placing some of his rose varieties in the new Rose Garden at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens in the Southern Okanagan of British Columbia, in order to display his work. Paul was pleased with the idea, but when we began to discuss sources for his roses, he told me that he had lost many of his roses in his personal collection to a very bad winter in 2015. He also advised me that Rogue Valley Roses no longer has some of his varieties and they are not regularly propagating others, so his roses are becoming difficult to find.

Hence this post, which is in fact a request to help gather wood for cuttings which will be propagated as a first step to ensure that Paul’s Roses are not lost. Paul has given me permission to write this post and supports our idea to build a secure collection of mother plants to make certain there is a source for these beautiful varieties. My partner in this project and to give credit where credit is most certainly due, is John Prendergast, john_ca on the forum, who in fact will be doing the propagating of cuttings at his property in California.

Now to the details of what we wish to do and how we foresee it will work. We are asking for help from anyone who has mature plants of any of Paul’s varieties as listed in the second last paragraph below and is willing to help, to take appropriate cuttings within the next month and send them to John. It is most likely that the places where roses are at the right stage for taking cuttings are California and other Southwestern States. If you have appropriate plants and would like to help, please PM John through this site. You can do that by going to one of John’s posts, clicking on his screen name and then clicking message on the page that comes up. We would ask that only those who are keen, willing and able to assist, preferably with more than one needed variety to contact John. For some reason, we suspect there may be a fairly significant response to this post and we do not want to overwhelm poor John if we can avoid it.

John already has plants of Jerri Jennings, Mel’s Heritage, Oshun, Janet Inada and Won Fang Yon, so we do not need wood from those varieties. Paul has plants of Ellen Toffelmeir, Carolin Supinger, Unconditional Love and Gallicandy, so those too are accounted for. We also know of a soon to open commercial source, Hummingbird Roses, for Golden Buddha, October Moon, and Pam's Choice. Mindy, the owner, has offered to work with John.

The list of other varieties that we are particularly wishing to acquire is: Treasure Trail, Licorice Tea, Allegra, Marianne, Siren’s Keep, Barbara Oliva, Hettie, Ettiene, Mel Hulse and Joyce Barden. We know there are others as well.

The final stage of the project will be to approach two further reliable Canadian commercial growers with whom John and I have worked previously; see “A new source of vintage David Austin Roses”; and ask if they are interested in preserving and offering Paul Barden's Roses as part of their collections.

Please wish us luck and help us out if you can.

Cheers, John, Rick and Paul

• K S 8b Seattle

I noticed recently that RVR lists Joyce Barden and Licorice Tea as "in stock", which surprised me: https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/joyce-barden%E2%84%A2 . https://www.roguevalleyroses.com/rose/licorice-tea%E2%84%A2

I'm not sure if that helps. Thanks for doing this! I hope you find them all!

• bart_2015

My hearty thanks and best wishes!!! Being here in Europe, I can't of course contribute,nor do I have any of Paul's roses, though I fervantly desire Siren's Keep and Mel's Heritage (I haven't found any sources here in Europe). But it warms my heart and fills me with hope that you guys are working together to help to preserve these roses.

Need help choosing paint color

Hi! My husband and I bought a very similar looking house 7 months ago...it's an orangy brick color...blues compliment the orange, I'm sure you know that. We painted the door "Deep Sea Diving" by Valspar, and absolutely love it! We have gotten so many compliments, and it just brightens up the house...just what it needed with the drab brick color we have...now I actually like the brick color...I accented outside my front door with turquoise pots and pink hydrangeas...they really compliment the darker blue door...the turquoise on the door I thought would be too much. We went back and forth with paint colors, and I absolutely love this color! I will try and post a picture for you to see it.

Table Runner. Yay or Nay?

Don't apologize. I think the table runner is probably a generational thing. It can look classy or cheesy depending on the table, the table runner and the rest of the surrounding decor. It can also be functional if the table is set with the food down the center for family dinners. Im part of "baby boomer's" generation. My mother used a table runner for special holiday dinners-Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have fond memories of those times...

NEED LANDSCAPING IDEAS FOR FRENCH ECLECTIC EXTERIOR

I also have a 1930's French Eclectic Revival. Mine is less cottage style than yours and more formal with the same center entry and a copper roof. I ordered working redwood shutters with a 20/40/40 panel from the Philadelphia Shutter Company capped in copper. I am doing a parterre garden on the left side of the front yard (in full horrible sun), backed by a low brick wall and iron gate, but loosening up with 10-12' deep free form beds in front of the house. I am blessed with 80-90 year old Japanese Yews from the original landscaping. We are just finishing remodeling so there will be no yard for another month. However, my neighbor has a fabulous yard and is more French manor/farm style like you. I will sneak a photo tomorrow of their landscaping. However...you won't be able to use the same plants as we do. We live in zone 10/deep south texas, rarely ever freeze and are already in the 90's - 100's as I write this in mid-March...and have been since mid-February. Both of our homes are on corner lots in a historic district.

The case of the disappearing words.

Pansy is an herb? Didn't know that. My oregano is definitely spreading - I planted some in Bermagui and it went wild there! Well over a foot across and still growing. I know it's supposed to be clumping, but it seems to think a clump is larger than I think a clump is ;) It wasn't tall though - so I guess a different variety? Italian parsley loved the environment in Bermagui - I planted some one year, and never had to plant it again. It just kept popping up in unexpected places, grew very large, got chopped down and eventually dug up, but would reappear the next year. I planted three seedlings last year in our new house, ended up with plants about 2 feet wide and high, and took them out a week or so ago. I've planted more seedlings, but I have a suspicion I'm going to get parsley where I didn't plant it again. It seems to love the soil and the sun of Australia. I had nice basil last year, but I think that was before the possums discovered my yard. Drat. Must try and find a spot for garlic chives. Did I mention, my garden is tiny?
  • pat_bamaz7

I have Sirens Keep, but it was new for me last year, so not mature, and i don't expect my roses here in northern Alabama to be at a cutting stage in your timeframe. I got mine from Rose Petals Nursery in Florida rather than Rogue Valley. RPN website doesn't show it in stock right now, but maybe Cydney would have cuttings she could share.

• Paul Barden

Thank you for making this effort!.

• john_ca

Along with many others, Rick and I feel that Paul Barden's rose breeding efforts are unique, inspired and worth saving. I am excited to be part of this effort to preserve Paul's work and hopefully, to make his varieties more available to the public. Please post an email to me at this site if you have any of the varieties that we do not already have and can help us in this effort by sending me rooted or unrooted cuttings. Many thanks in advance! John

• jerijen

I'm THRILLED that they have Carolyn Supinger!

• K S 8b Seattle

Please tell me someone has Treasure Trail! I really want to grow that rose!

• Paul Barden

@Jeri: well, they don't YET - but I will remedy that deficiency soon!

• Stephanie, 9b inland SoCal
    I will definitely get Carolyn Supinger when available. She’s a beauty!
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I want one too. I asked at RVRs and they never came through.

Hummingbird Roses

I am thrilled to take part in this. Very worth while!

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a thanked Hummingbird Roses
  • rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a

I have a healthy young Treasure Trail plant here in Canada. I will be trying to root a one or two cuttings in June, but it may take another year or two for the plant to mature. Treasure Trail is a spectacular healthy, floriferous variety in my dry arid climate and I suspect it's Moss parentage enjoys the real winter chill it gets here as well.

This Treasure Trail is a "real' Treasure.

• K S 8b Seattle

That is great news about Treasure Trail. If anyone knows of a US source for this rose please tell me!

• soncna 9a Slovenia

On top of my wish list is Mel`s heritage. Is there any hope it will be available in Europe?

• Paul Barden

@soncna: given the severe contraction of the rose industry in the last decade, its very difficult to persuade rose growers to adopt "fringe" varieties into their catalog, because they generally want as many "bread and butter" (high volume) selections as possible. It was difficult to get any nursery to add my roses to their inventory in 2009, and its far more difficult now. The odds of getting any of these roses into a European catalog is very slim, I would think.

However, that doesn't mean you can't import from the USA.....

• subk3

I have a 5-6 year old Marianne. I know nothing about doing cuttings, but being about 100 miles north of Pat_bama I would assume if her weather isn't favorable for her to get one in the next month neither is mine. I came here today to ask advice on how to move her only to read this. Surely there is another source for her?!

My dilemma is this bush is slated to be moved in the next week while it's still dormant from the center of my vegetable garden where it's taking the place over to what is likely a less hospitable spot. I've kept putting off moving her the last couple years--mostly because she is my only once bloomer and quite frankly I have no idea how to manage her without losing a blooming season. So she is a completely unkempt monster in a spot where she has so frustrated the hubby he's threatened to do murder in the middle of the night.

Can someone point me to some information as to how to prune her so I can facilitate a detente between her and the hubby? Obviously I need to keep her where she is until we are sure there are other options...

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I agree, I would not risk moving her. I might put a fence around her and declare her a national treasure. I might buy my husband a video gizmo or some Tesla product and bribe him. My husband says the rose will bring beneficial insects into the vegetable garden.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

I have a reasonably mature Marianne and two Song of the Stars as well as plants of Rook and Umbra that can surely take cuttings if you like, since they don't lose canes over the winter. My Dakota Redwing and (saying this one quietly so I don't jinx it...) Little Grey Pearl have survived the winter for a second time now, though they don't have any surviving cane in the spring. I'd have to take cuttings later in the summer and for LGP mine still might not have enough viable cane.

Paul, I'm presuming we have your permission to send such cuttings to John for this purpose? These roses are still under patent so we all want to make sure to honor your rights here. We are ALL about making sure these roses can be sold more widely (I join the drooling masses at waiting for my own Carolyn Supinger), but we want to do so with your blessings. You've chimed in here so I presume this is also your goal for helping to keep your wonderful roses circulating - kudos to all the folks that are making this happen!

Let me know if you need these. Only Marianne was on your list and you said you want sets of cuttings for more than just one rose. Obviously for me those cuttings are still months away as we have to wait for the snow to melt.

Cynthia

• Paul Barden

"Paul, I'm presuming we have your permission to send such cuttings to John for this purpose? These roses are still under patent so we all want to make sure to honor your rights here."

Cynthia,

Yes, absolutely - the community has my permission, and is encouraged to share wood for propagation purposes (My named varieties only - there are some un-named/proprietary roses I have shared with a few people that I do not wish to have widely distributed). Regrettably, Rogue Valley Roses has, for reasons unknown, become less than reliable as a source for my hybrids. (I myself have bought one of my roses to get a copy back into my possession, and it is obviously a mislabeled plant. I wish I could report otherwise, alas) I now wish I had made more of an effort 10 years ago to pursue other nurseries as well, to get these roses into more hands for distribution. Maybe it will happen now?

Thank you for your efforts, everyone. I appreciate it.

Paul

PS: none of my roses is patented - I never pursued it because it seemed obvious I would never recoup the cost of doing so.

Hummingbird Roses

Paul

I hope to help make that happen!

With all of our efforts, I don’t see why we can’t.

Mindy

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I really think Janet's age is an explanation for any RVR issue. People are not up to what they wish they were up to often at the higher ages.

• bart_2015

Soncna in slovenia,I know how you feel. I,too,here in Italy would love to get several roses that are only available in the USA. I even began investingating the possibility of importing Kordes' Quicksilver,but decided definitively against it. According to someone on this forum,the nursery that I found that carries it and does ship to Europe is located in an area that does have Rose Rosette Disease -a terrible, fatal disease for roses, transmitted by mites,that at least for now has not showed up here in Europe. So importing a rose from them would be very, very risky in many ways; you could risk importing this disease here to Europe. I think Germany simply does not permit importation; here in Italy they are very slack; I don't know about Slovenia. What's more, I don't think any nursery can guarentee that your plant will be delivered promptly; it could wind up languishing in customs for a long time. The shipping costs are very high, and plus you have to provide a sanitary certificate, that at least here in Italy is very expensive as well. So you risk spending a LOT of money, only to wind up possibly with a stressed out,weakened, or even dead plant. So, if you do decide to try to import, be VERY, VERY careful that you purchase the plant from a nursery in an area which definitely does NOT have Rose Rosette Disease. As I said before,I decided against trying it.

• Alana8aSC

I've been reading this post with interest. There are still a few of Paul's Rose's that I am trying to get. Ellen Toffelmeir being at the top of the list to still be acquired. I do have Allegra, but it is young, and honestly I haven't had a bloom yet, it's new, so this Spring, I hope to know , and make sure , that they are all right. I've had ID problems to many times to say for sure that I have the right rose.

• Paul Barden

Alana, PM me for availability info on 'Ellen Tofflemire', pls.

• Alana8aSC

PM sent Paul! Thank you and let me know if you get it!

• Alana8aSC

I just realized, as long as my Allegra is right, I may have a plant for you in the fall. I had a peice break off of mine last fall, and I just stuck it in the ground near the rose. It's still green, so there's a good chance it may take. I'll let you know if it roots and post pictures when mine blooms to verify that its the right rose.

• Lisa Adams

It’s been so long since I’ve sent a message through Houzz, that I’m having trouble finding a way to message John. I used to see a “send message” option when I went to someone’s profile page. Forgive my ignorance, but I’m not seeing a way to message John when I go to his profile. I have Sirens Keep, and I’m in So CA. Lisa

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a

Hello Alana,

I will wait to see what Paul has to say, but unless he says otherwise, I wonder if you might send your young Allegra plant, if it survives, to John P. in the fall. Allegra is one of Paul's Gallica crosses that we would particularly like to acquire for placement in the Garden at Summerland for posterity's sake.

If you could send a bare root - rooted plant to John Prendergast in the fall, then he will grow it on and send it North in the spring with other roses we are acquiring. Once that is done, and the plants mature; with Paul's permission; we will distribute wood to nurseries that he approves in the hope that we can put many of his rare creations back into commerce for some time to come.

Cheers, Rick

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a

Hi Lisa, this is a bit surreal, When I posted the original message, there was a message option on John's page, that is not there now. I just looked and I get the same blank as you do. So, please message me and I will copy the message and send it on to John, an email address would help, I will copy you on the message when I forward it to John and hopefully link you up.

Siren's Keep is another of the varieties that I personally had hoped to keep in commerce. I grew it in Ontario, but lost is in my move. It is a rare treasure with gorgeous OGR style red blooms that are complex and gorgeous, with Gallica, Hybrid Perpetual and Austin reds in the breeding. It is a modern repeat blooming OGR tour de force.

Cheers, Rick

• Alana8aSC

I can sure do that! I'll message back on here this Spring and fall.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I got goosebumps as I read about what all is being done to save these roses. What a testament to this amazing community!

The one little flower I had on my baby Licorice Tea was a marvel. I’m so in awe of the folks who can create such artistry, and thank you all from the bottom of my heart. :-)

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Crested Damask has not been mentioned but I do grow if you are interested in obtaining cuttings. As well as Rook, Song of the Stars and Marianne, but it seems like you have already had offers on those.

• john_ca

Apologies to all who have tried to message me. My message function was working fine a week ago and somehow it got turned off. I have gone into my profile and my message function is now turned all to accept all messages. Sorry for the inconvenienced. John

• Alana8aSC

I still cannot message you. Just follow you.

• Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

Hello, Could you give any update on how this wonderful project is going? Did you get all of the cuttings that you desired? Wishing you all the best!

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Unfortunately from my interactions it doesn't appear to be going very well. I submitted a handful of cuttings of Barden roses along with other rarities I grow to Mindy at Hummingbird Roses. On following up with her recently I learned that only a few varieties she'd received managed to root. These included Mel's Heritage, Rook, and Oshun. It's a start at least.

-Chris

• Nola Thistle Thrower Z5aWI

Thank you Chris, it is a start! How kind of you to send those! I'm hoping for Joyce and Marianne to be a choice in the future! :)

• jerijen

Do you still need 'Mel's Heritage'??? Let me know.

• chris209 (LI, NY Z7a)

Jeri, Mel’s Heritage is one of the ones they’ve got.

i actually didn’t provide Oshun cuttings so someone else must have. I supplied cuttings for Crested Damask, Mel’s Heritage, Rook, Song of the Stars and Marianne.

• rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a

Hello Folk,

I have been off line for the past month or so for a number of reasons and only looked at the ARF this morning for the first time in a long while. Life cannot always be about roses unfortunately, at least sometimes :)

I just saw that this thread was live on the board again, so I am going to try to update it. It has been a month or more since John, Mindy and I last corresponded about this project, so I have gone over those emails and my other records in order to compile a list of what we collectively have. Below is the list of what to the best of my knowledge and belief we have in the ground at John's, Mindy's and my own gardens. The list includes

Ellen Toffelmeir, Galicandy, Unconditional Love, Oshun, Janet Inada; Jerri Jennings, Mel's Heritage, Tajique, Castle Bravo, Carolin Supinger, Si Plus Plus; and unnamed variety that is a cross of Cristata and a Gallica that Paul calls Crested Thingy and Treasure Trail, (I have three TT rooted and the mother plant). We have been trying to root cuttings rooting of Umbra, Rook, and Marrianne. Unfortunately it is too early to tell if these last few will take yet.

Some of these varieties John and I already had, some I received directly from Paul and took to John's place last April and others we have rooted from cuttings acquired from Forum Folk. That is a total of 14 varieties in the ground and three more we hope will make it. Others that we still hope to acquire cuttings for are: Allegra, Crested Damask, Dakota Red Wing, Siren's Keep and Joyce Barden as well as any others anyone cares to offer.

So, all in all, we seem to be pretty successful thus far. Come spring, we will be shipping new plants between the three of us. John currently has the largest variety germ plasm bank. I will be creating a second bank and display garden here in Canada at the Summerland Ornamental Gardens for hardier varieties, particularly the more cold hardy Moss, Austin and Gallica crossbred varieties. Mindy's Hummingbird Roses will be the main distribution nursery for the varieties we have and hope to acquire. At least that is the plan up to now. We also hope to approach at least one other boutique rose nursery, not certain which yet, when we have plants to share, to try to get a couple of reliable sources for Paul's very special roses. Of course, growing roses from cuttings takes time, especially for Mindy and I who live in colder climates. So it will be a season or two yet before the project has actual plant material to offer.

I also see that the thread on Palatine as a new source of early and rare English Roses is back high on the board. Just a reminder, Rene told John that they would be posting their list of available varieties and numbers on their website on December first. It is my understanding that because of the very limited numbers this year, there will be a limit of one plant per variety per person. These are of course grafted plants which I personally like because of the increased vigour for those of us growing roses in the cooler climates.

I looked this morning and there is nothing on the Palatine site yet, so I guess December 1st it is. I have been privileged to have been privy to the list and I will tell you there are likely going to be 62 varieties on the list. Many very rare an long unavailable. We owe John, Rene, and Summer in particular and a few other very devoted English Rose connaisseurs a debt of gratitude for making this exciting event happen. Please support Palatine for doing this and good luck in the vintage rose lottery of the winter.

Cheers, Rick

• Paul Barden

Rick, I now have a piece of 'Dakota Redwing' rooted and growing happily in the Cattleya house, so that will be available this coming spring (or sooner, if going to California). I also have a plant of 'Pink Phoenix' available for your archive project, if that is of interest.

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a thanked Paul Barden
  • sabalmatt_tejas

I have a very vigorous plant of ‘Dakota Redwing’ and can send cuttings in the future if you need them for the project.

rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a thanked sabalmatt_tejas
  • rideauroselad OkanaganBC6a

Thanks so much for the offer Paul! We will have to do some planning to figure out how to get the plants you are offering and where they are to go. I will send you an email today.

Tejas, thank you very much for the kind offer. Dakota Redwing is a great beauty. I will check with Mindy and John and see if they might be able to work something out with you when the time is right next spring. The fact that the growing seasons differ depending on where everyone is located can complicate the timing for taking and striking cuttings. In any event, it would likely be sometime between late April and late June, when the timing lines up depending on where we need the cuttings.

Happy Thanksgiving to all you American Rose Lovers. Thanksgiving was celebrated here in Canada in early October and winter is coming here.

Cheers, Rick

Hummingbird Roses

Tejas,

Would love some cuttings of your vigorous Dakota Redwing plant in the spring. Thank you!

I've not been on Houzz lately, but Rick alerted me to your kind offer.

You can email me directly at hummingbirdroses1@gmail.com.

Mindy

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

You also could order Dakota Redwing from RVRs as it is in stock ATM.

• verdantcroft

Yes, someone's lit a fire under RVR.

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A

Verdantcroft, I'm being cynical, but probably to get a profit yet.

Mr. Barden, I honestly hope we will be able to get your roses back into circulation.

Best of luck to everyone involved in this awesome project!