0

Suggestions for climbers with good repeat

sara_ann-z6bok

Which light to medium pink or possibly yellow or apricot climbers have good repeat bloom? Also, what kind of repeat bloom does Quicksilver have? I have an idea for using a couple of arbors as focal points and two different climbers with fairly good repeat. They won’t be real close together, but I want the colors to complement one another. I’ve already ordered Quicksilver, so if it has good repeat, then I just need one more with good repeat .

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Quicksilver is my answer to almost every question. You're going to love it. For the other colors...

Crown Princess Margareta - apricoty yellow. Mine is showing great climbing promise.

Coral Dawn - med pink. Grows tall on a shady gazebo in Northland's z5 garden.

Renae - soft pink - Lilyfinch speaks highly of it. I think I need it, too.

https://rosenotes.typepad.com/rose_notes/2009/07/rose-of-the-week-renae.html

sara_ann-z6bok thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

Cant offer any advice but I’m following along.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Flowers , I’m glad you mention crown princess .. I am going to order her. And I have coral dawn and lunar mist coming from northland too . But for you colder zones.. maybe check hep me find about reneas hardiness . :(

I have really enjoyed my Colette arbor. I am sooo sorry I didn’t get good photos last year . My thrips problem was horrendous so my pics were terrible. I know it had a long bloom time , pretty healthy and smelled great !! Nahema is another lovely one . Pearly gates is beautiful too . Those are what I have and love ! My quicksilver hasn’t shown off yet .. I’m hoping soon . Same with my kiss me kate and honeymoon.. this spring should be good I hope !

sara_ann-z6bok thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Yes, Crown Princess M is great here. Very eager to grow and always has blooms. I can see her as a climber or shrub. She is bushy and full, similar to Colette. Help Me Find was no help about Renae's hardiness. I'm keeping my fingers crossed she's good to z5, but I just know she'd be gorgeous for Sara Ann.

Can't figure out why your Quicksilver isn't doing better. Sometimes we get a dud, and blame ourselves when it's not our fault. Quicksilver and Honeymoon are very much alike. Both great bloomers. Q is taller. I am dying to get the Lavender Crush you gave me in the ground. I didn't recommend it because Sara Ann already has her lavender. Ahhh, Nahema! I hope, hope, hope mine will like it here. It's coming from Palatine.

I was sure you'd suggest Bathsheba to Sara Ann.

Sara Ann, I agree with Lily - Nahema and Lunar Mist would do great for you. Either one would be beautiful with Quicksilver.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Quicksilver has large lavender quartered blooms!! I have three, I might get more. You need her! Repeat is pretty good. If own root, it might take longer to get going. One of mine is grafted, the other two are own root from bands a few yrs ago. The two OR just wanna grow grow grow...climbers smh!

I have two Crown Princesses M. grafted on DH. They get HUGE. I think they like cooler weather than I have here. The color is nicer when its cooler. They didnt bloom much the first year and the color was not even orange..more like buff. I almost threw them out. I'm glad I waited because they have gotten better form and colorwise, every year.

Honestly, CPM doesn't repeat that great for me. If you want great repeat, you might want something else. The flowers are pretty though.

The only other orangish climbers I have is Crepuscule and Lady of Shalott.. LOS goes coral pinks and oranges. She blooms better for me than CPM.

Crepuscule is great but may need a warm climate.

Teasing Georgia is a huge yellow climber with great repeat.

Olivia is light to med pink and one of my best repeaters. She is a climber here for sure. ♡♡

Spirit of Freedom is a light lilac pink climber. She is the bomb in every way! I heard DA is ditching her! ( so mad at them :/ ) Heirloom has her but its out if stock.

The Wedgewood Rose is another pink DA
    climber that has good repeat.

Princess Charlene de Monaco is gorgeous Abe Darby look a like. She wants to climb more than Abe does. She has a nice fragrance too.

Most of my other climbers are teas or noisettes.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)
  • Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Shame shame on me!!! How did I forget Bathsheba. Shame !!!!!!! Yes she is the best . I can’t believe I forgot but in my defense I was coloring with Lucia and took a break for a min and she wouldn’t give me much time before I had to get back to her page. Toddlers just don’t understand sometimes! Lol

sultry .. I can’t believe Olivia is a climber for you !! I’d love to see photos of that .

Spirtit of freedom is so beautiful. I don’t know why it is being discontinued either!! I’m so glad I got it last year .

Flowers , I love the link you posted . Had never seen it before. Ironically, I bought her book “r is for rose “ for a dollar when I was starting gardening 15 years ago . I poured over that book until the cover separated by the thread it was hung onto. Such a lovely book !!

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Lily, Carolyn Parker is pretty well known in the world of roses, but she doesn't post very often on her blog. It's worth checking every once in a while, though. I think she did the photography for Grace Rose Farm's latest endeavors. Her book for a dollar was a good find!

Sultry, most of the roses you said are climbers for you are medium size shrubs here. I've seen videos of Spirit of Freedom growing on lattice all over a patio and house, and it was something! What a difference a few zones make!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Lily, I gave Olivia this to devour. She's definitely working on it lol. There were two Olivias on here but I took one off because one is apparently enough lol and I wanted to add a Teasing Georgia to the other side.

This was last spring. Shes bigger now. I just trimmed her laterals back some. Soon as she blooms again I will get more pics. This gazebo is 10ft wide. She likes to spread out.

• vaporvac

What beautiful pictures! I wish my roses were older and in the ground so I could recommend something, although our climate is different. Have you considered something like Phyllis Bide or ghislaine de Feligonde? I haven't seen mine Bloom yet but they are Lusty Growers. I also have teasing Georgia and a pale yellow climber called climbing Jackie in addition to Gold blush. Thry would all look gorgeous with Quicksilver, at least I hope they will cuz I'm planning to plant them with her!

sara_ann-z6bok thanked vaporvac
  • KarenPA_6b

flowersaremusic, thank you very much for sharing Carolyn Paker's blog link. There are many beautiful rose garden pics to swoon over! Love the page titled, "At Rose Place Garden Design". Thanks!

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you so much everyone, looks like some very good suggestions so far, I appreciate them all, lots to consider.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Dreamland from Palatine is a great climber for our colder zones.

• witchygirrl6bwv

I'm planting Lady Ashe with my Quicksilver on arch. I have Lady Ashe already, love it, and think it's going to look good. Ordered two of each for this arch I'm putting up.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Karen, there is so much good advice and inspiration on that blog. I particularly love the photos of her whole garden which is in a suburban size lot. It's a corner lot, which helps, but still, she has used it to it's maximum potential.

• kitasei

I had to look up Quicksilver after reading the rave reviews.. The listing on Heritage Roses says it does not rebloom. Is this an error?

• witchygirrl6bwv

Kordes version blooms in flushes. Maybe you are looking at something else. The purple climber reblooms. Speaking of Colette... I forgot I wanted that one. Dang it's too late now. How did I forget that one, when I was drooling over it last year? lol hmf

• vaporvac

summers, do you get die-back on Dreamland? PeterS. said he did in Z5, so I'm not sure what to expect.

• DVS inFL (Zone 9a)

Supposedly Pretty in Pink Eden should be your answer for the pink repeat bloom climbing rose.

I've planted two of these last year to cover up the face of the shed but haven't produced well for me so far. Maybe others can confirm if this would be good for what you seek.

As others mentioned Quicksilver is quite the good little rose plant to have. For me, it's one of the very survivors from the disease attack last year along with surviving Hurricane Micheal with great ease. I keep mine as a bush but it has lots of great tendencies to climb higher. Mine suffers from no fragrance though.

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

My best pink repeaters have already been mentioned - Lady Ashe, Colette, and Nahema. Madame Bovary does OK as does Mrs. John Laing - not exactly a rapid repeat but big lovely flowers when it does.

Just a caution Flowers that Renae is only hardy at the outside to zone 7. I have tried to winter it in my ultra warm spot where teas can survive and it has not even survived for me, much less climbed or repeated.

Cynthia

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Cynthia, I was beginning to expect as much because not one cold climate gardener here seems to have it. The pics I've seen of it here and on HMF are absolutely irresistible, but I guess I will have to pass on that one.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Vap, Dreamland doesn’t have much winter dieback in my 6a garden. Good luck with yours.

• vaporvac

Does anyone grow both Aloha and its sport Lady Ashe? I grow Aloha and was under the impression LS was apricot. I actually could use a climber that colour, but wonder how different it really is from Aloha. Does it bloom more? Anyone grow them together? I could do that also if they don't clash. How tall does it get in Z6... my Aloha is still in a pot until next month.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thanks again. Every rose named here is a beauty from the pictures I’ve seen. I’ve been admiring Colette, Pearly Gates, Nahema, Olivia, Pretty In Pink Eden, and Mrs. John Laing for awhile now. A couple more I’m wondering about are Jasmina and The Impressionist.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

Renea! She is a beauty! If you want a stripey, I would suggest Flamingo Dancer but I am not sure how she would do in your zone. She sure is pretty, however.

sara_ann-z6bok thanked mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
  • sara_ann-z6bok thanked smithdale1z8pnw
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Sara Ann, I have Jasmina, one climbing a tree and one on a picket fence. The first one is about 5 yr, old and not more than 4', but she is competing with the tree roots. The other was planted last fall, and reaching for the fence better than I expected. Reportedly a continuous bloomer, but I haven't seen that yet. Still, it is a healthy bush with flexible canes and the clusters of blooms are a very pretty cool lilac pink and have a nice, but not strong, fragrance. They're both own root, and though I don't know about the new one, the older one survives winter quite well with minimal die back.

• sara_ann-z6bok

Thank you, mustbnuts and smithdale, both of those varieties are lovely, I had forgotten about Pinkie, it’s quite the bloomer!

Flowers, thanks for your info and telling your experiences with Jasmina. I’ve been eyeing it for awhile, it’s so pretty!

• Sylvia Wendel

Mustbnuts, you have enabled me. Just emailed Burling and asked about Flamingo Dancer! I hope she has it.

sylvia

• nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Flamingo Dancer is a very nice rose and it survives for me in zone 5 but doesn't climb. I think it would be fine zone 6 and higher. I love to see Burling's roses that she bred getting circulation.
    Vapor, I do have both Aloha and Lady Ashe and they both run toward the warm side of pink for me. I could easily grow them side by side and they would complement each other. Lady Ashe (mine was bought as Dixieland Linda) is a more lax grower that is a more traditional climber to maybe 6' horizontally, and it has a touch of apricot in the center in cool weather only. Once it heats up she's nearly a uniform warm pink for me. Aloha is the classic stand alone pillar rose that doesn't really need much support beyond a shepherd's hook and it grows to about 6-7' in a season with repeats all summer. I have way more surviving cane on Aloha, but it's also in a warm spot of the yard that is at least a zone warmer functionally than the Lady Ashe. In fact, LA had blasts from my zone 4 pocket that she survived for years, but she wasn't as robust in that spot. I'm replanting her this spring in a little more protected spot. I expect she'd grow bigger if she didn't lose most of her cane over the winter.

Cynthia

• vaporvac

That is just what I wanted to hear. I'm trying to clear out my pot ghetto and can start by planting my Aloha and leaving a space for LA. I think they'll look great where I want them.

• witchygirrl6bwv

Vapor mine usually has the apricot center, wish i had a better pic. The blooms I got in fall cold spell were dark pink. I think mine does the opposite with pink vs apricot. Maybe it's her location or something. I get the multi color when it's warm. Sometimes I see a little lavender toward the outer petals.

• sara_ann-z6bok

These two blooms are fairly representative of the color range of my Aloha blooms.

• vaporvac

OMG! I can only hope as I'll be planting her with Violet's Pride! Thank you both for the visuals.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Witchy and Sara Ann, those pics keep drawing me back for another look. For some reason, I get Aloha confused with Laguna even though they don't look alike. It may be because they both make me think of the ocean. If you're familiar with Laguna, which of the two is the better bloomer and better climber?

• Rachel Ohio-Zone6A
    Sultry, where were you able to source your grafted Quicksilver? I’ve been looking around trying to find one and am struggling. I grew Oearly Gates last year, and the blooms were huge and long-lasting, however, it blackspotted horribly for me, and was defoliate by July. However, it was in a place with morning shade.
  • sara_ann-z6bok

Rachel, I checked on Palatine’s website and they still have Quicksilver available, which would be on multiflora. I ordered mine from Edmunds, but it’s own root.

• alameda/zone 8/East Texas

Chamblees has some great Quicksilver roses - prices are reasonable, they are own root. I was just there, they looked good. But if you want to order, do so right away as they will no longer be doing mail order probably after this week, but another company is taking that over - you would just have to check with them.

• vaporvac

Ok. I figured I better get QS so went to Chamblees site where I still had a couple on my wishlist. Their roses are now twice the price with a set shipping price., but still, I never paid double the rose to ship. Now I'm kicking myself because they are the only ones to carry a few I wanted and I can't really afford to buy them. Is it already under new ownership or management?

Edit: I just called and they have been bought so new prices and policy. At least they are keeping it as a nursery.

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

My grafted QS came from Edmunds.

Sara are you sure yours is OR..edmunds says bare root..mine clearly has a graft

https://www.edmundsroses.com/P/25583/Quick+Silver+Climbing+Rose

The 2 own roots came from Northland

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

Chamblees had a much smaller selection in winter 2018 compared to winter 2017.

Wonder if they will increase variety or just sit tight.....

• vaporvac

I was so shocked I forgot to ask!