Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_22590553

The world of packing cubes

User
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I'm getting ready to jump off the ledge into youtube videos. :) Are they really that great? I think they would be very handy for a backpacking trip across Europe but that's not the case for me. In an attempt to save space, the last few family vacations I packed the kids clothing in with mine (towels and sheets I think) in my large rolling suitcase. As they continue to grow this isn't going to work. I own several different size makeup bags so that's covered. I think it would be nice to have a separate bag for under garments but beyond that I'm curious if they save space or if it's more of an organization thing. As for keeping clean and dirt clothes separate, I've always taken a plastic bag/garbage bag or washed clothes before returning home.

What's the scoop on these cubes?

(I still haven't picked a backpack and my goal is to purchase one in the next 24 hours. I am getting that camera sling bag.)

Comments (27)

• OutsidePlaying
    5 years ago

I am still undecided. I have some Eagle Creek cubes in graduated sizes and find them convenient for packing underwear and t-shirts for example. They do compress and you can fit them in a suitcase easily among other items.

Another chat group I visit is singing the praises of Compass Rose packing cubes. They stack inside your rolling bag and then you can still squeeze in other items in the gaps. I also use quart and gallon zip locks on occasion and always carry a few extra.

User thanked OutsidePlaying
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Writersblock - Oh wow I was thinking they were known (don't know why I thought that) to save space in travel backpacks. I like ziplocks too!

Outside - I'm going to check out those brands, thanks!

ETA - I think I'm getting the ebags TLS Mother lode weekender convertible. I like all the compartments. I originally wasn't planning to spend that much but I can see it being nice and getting a lot of use in the future. I'd imagine the kids could easily pack their stuff in one (each) for a week vacation. Maaaybe even me.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    5 years ago

Oh, for something like that, maybe. Cubes work best in a rectangular space and that one is more like a small suitcase you can carry on your back than a regular backpack. With my osprey kyte they didn’t work at all.

User thanked writersblock (9b/10a)
  • nini804
    5 years ago

Our travel agent sent me a set as a thank you before our trip to Costa Rica. I had never used them before, but my bff has raved about them for years so I was excited to try them. They were wonderful! Makes unpacking so easy and quick when you reach your destination. I felt like I could fit more in my suitcase and my clothes were less wrinkled. Big fan now!

User thanked nini804
  • bpath
    5 years ago

So, I'm not sure I understand: are you backpacking, or suitcasing?

I LOVE my eagle creek cubes. I've not backpacked, per se, but thinking back to my months traveling Europe in college, I think cubes would have been great. Instead, I guess I just crammed everything in my blue suitcase.

Now, I use my cubes on every trip.

When DH and I spent a few weeks in Europe, I had to succumb to his travel method, which is "travel light and carry on". I relied on my cubes to spend 3 weeks with a small rolling bag that fits in overhead. Also, the bags you can fill, roll, and squeeze the air out. I carried my jacket in my small SportSac purse that way, as well as some stuff in my rollee suitcase.

User thanked bpath
  • terezosa / terriks
    5 years ago

For suitcases I prefer packing cubes that have some structure to them. For backpacking I've used Eagle Creek Spectre compressible cubes. For my suitcase I have these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R280UQM/ref=oh_aui_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 

User thanked terezosa / terriks
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bpath - Oh sorry for the confusion. My upcoming trip I was specifically thinking for my backpack. (Using it as a carry on not hiking.) The cubes then also had me thinking of future vacations and most will involve suitcasing.

• User
    5 years ago

They only make sense when traveling to a single destination where you’re going to empty your suitcase(s) into drawers/closet rods for the duration or for multiple short stays if you can fit each child’s clothing into a single cube (one each for your and DH’s suitcase). Supplement with plastic bags for dirty clothes in each suitcase. The cubes do not save space; they just make organizing easier.

User thanked User
  • ratherbesewing
    5 years ago

I feel like they are glorified zip locks! And zip locks are offered in many sizes.

User thanked ratherbesewing
  • cmm1964
    5 years ago

Shee

i have the Motherlode and yes you can use the packing cubes in it and it works well. The Motherlode bag opens up like a regular carry on wheeled suitcase and it does hold the same amount. It has lots of pockets. I used it for a 10 day Europe trip as well. I took a few pairs of Columbia brand lightweight pants and shirts that rolled up well and could be washed in a sink if needed be. All the hotels we stayed at had towel warming racks that made good clothes dryers!

Now if you are truly backpacking then the Motherlode will be too big to trek around Europe on your shoulders for hours on end.

Also check out TJ Max for packing cubes. They have great prices for them.

User thanked cmm1964
  • graywings123
    5 years ago

I don't travel enough to invest in packing cubes. When I pack, I use small zippered mesh laundry bags, one each for socks and various dainties. When not traveling, I use them on laundry day. And they are great when you do laundry while traveling.

User thanked graywings123
  • panko9
    5 years ago

For those of you who shop ebags do you find they offer sale prices frequently? We’re taking our 20-something kids to Europe this summer. I’d like to get each of them the Motherlode weekender backpacks. They are on sale now for $89.99 but I’d like to wait to purchase them closer to the trip.

User thanked panko9
  • PRO
    MDLN
    5 years ago

These Eagle Creek Specter, are the only packing cubes I use. They are thin and ultralight, but very strong, allowing significant compression, saving a very surprising amount of space. Use them in all luggage types, including backpack. Tried other brands, did not like them.

User thanked MDLN
  • bpath
    5 years ago

Those Eagle Creek translucent are great. I can see what's in there. I like that they expand with the zipper: if I'm packing a lot, or something big, I expand it to pack, then close it and zip the compression. They do seem to save space, I feel like I can pack more, it stays in place, and I find it more easily. They come in a good range of sizes, even the littlest one is useful. They squash well but protect the clothes.

I still use ziploks for a couple of things, but the cubes for almost everything.

User thanked bpath
  • Fori
    5 years ago

I've old grocery bags and ziplocs and now prefer the cubes. Even for shoving things in a backpack. It's mostly for organization. Do you know the momentary horror of not remotely being able to fit into
    your jeans before you realize they belong to one of your kids?

There is great value in being able to grab a cube from the duffel and throw it across the tent to a kid and saying, "get dressed".

(I have never ever unpacked my stuff at a destination, aside from things that need to be hung. In today's World of Bedbugs I think I will continue to keep my stuff mashed into the duffel bag, suitcase, or backpack that brought it.)

User thanked Fori
  • Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
    5 years ago

Another Eagle Creek Specter fan here.

They really do help compress stuff nicely.

User thanked Rita / Bring Back Sophie 4 Real
  • llitm
    5 years ago

I have several brands picked up at H/goods and have no strong feelings about brands. I question whether they save space but I appreciate the organizational value of them. I usually only unpack them when we're on a cruise or staying at one place for more than 4-5 nights.

User thanked llitm
  • dedtired
    5 years ago

I love my packing cubes, especially when going to multiple locations. They keep my clothes in categories and prevent my suitcase from becoming a big jumble. When I arrive, i just lay them out on the dresser, and when it’s time to pack, I pack each cube and plunk them back in my suitcase.

I use a smaller backpack for my carryon. It’s an Osprey Daylite. I’ve never used the cubes in there. It has plenty of compartments for organization.

• Bonnie
    5 years ago

Packing cubes are useful for organizing but don't save space. For space saving and organization I find the Sharper Image compression bags to be the best solution. I roll my clothes and then use the compression feature to push the air out. I also use packing cubes for some items (underwear, gym clothes). My suitcase stays neat and organized and my clothes are wrinkle-free. We just got back from a vacation and my suitcase is waiting to be emptied :-(

User thanked Bonnie
  • l pinkmountain
    5 years ago

One of the big benefits of any type of interior storage in a backpack is additional waterproofing. I used waterproof duffles of various sizes and colors back in the day to stay organized, and this is just an extension of that. Buy waterproof or use a waterproofing sealant spray on them would be my only .02. The key to space in backpacking is how you fold and compress your items. Plus knowing how to get the most utility from a limited set of items, so knowing what is essential and what is extra is critical either way.

Everyone has their own style when it comes to this. But for example, having a self-inflating sleeping mat is a good idea because it has the ability to add value once unpacked without adding weight. Another example is I never pack a fork when backpacking, there is nothing I can't eat with a fork that I can't also eat with a spoon. I drink my coffee from the same little pot I eat my instant oatmeal out of. I use my extra stashed emergency sweater as a pillow. Etc. etc.

User thanked l pinkmountain
  • bpath
    5 years ago

I've used compression for some things, but generally for packing I find the Eagle Creek cubes to really help. I can't say if they save space, but they make great USE of the space, which is almost the same thing. For backpacking, though, maybe not.

User thanked bpath
  • Fori
    5 years ago

Cubes make it easier for TSA to rifle through your belongings...

User thanked Fori
  • Bonnie
    5 years ago

I took these before I unpacked today:

Cubes on top

Compression bags:

This combo worked for this trip where I checked a bag. Laundry is done and now I’m putting my summer clothes and sandals away -(

User thanked Bonnie
  • User
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Everyone here is the best! Thank you so much for all the suggestions and ideas. I'm not sure what I'm going to buy yet but may try some.

Panko - Did you buy a bag? I don't know how often they run sales. I just ordered mine a few days ago while the sale was on. Looking forward to seeing it IRL.

• panko9
    5 years ago

Shee- I have not bought a bag yet. I’ll look for your review.

• User
    5 years ago

I have ebags luggage and I really like it....the tls weekender isn't really my first pick though as I prefer the wheels and if you just need it for backpacking there are better choices out there.

I like packing cubes but find no difference in brands...in fact I really like the Ikea ones...

I can pack for a long weekend with just a personal (under seat) bag using compression bags...