Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
victor_young9442912

Help with my tiny den office

Victor Young
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

So I have a tiny den that I want to use as an office. I currently like the coziness of it but would love some professional advice. Willing to move everything around and get all new furniture looking for any and all ideas.The tough parts of the room is the small space, off set back wall, and a furnace that sticks out 3 1/2 inches from the wall on the long side.Thanks in advance.

Comments (20)

• Victor Young
    Original Author
    5 years ago

• Hansen
    5 years ago
    Uh oh might consider putting the bookshelves against the back walls. They will draw the eye and make the room appear longer. Then I would get a round table to use as a desk and place 4 comfy chairs around it.
  • Hansen
    5 years ago

some ideas

Home Office painted with C2 Paint · More Info

Eclectic Transitional Perfection · More Info

Lake Josephine Home · More Info

Fresh Berkshire Farmhouse · More Info

• SLOemilie .
    5 years ago
    I agree that furnishing just one side of the room will help it feel roomier. Will the bookshelf fit in the 40+" space at the back of the room? If so, I'd move it there, and put the sofa in front of it. Then use the right wall for a desk and a lot of wall storage in a style that appeals to you.
  • wdccruise
    5 years ago

I think Victor needs to dump the sofa. It's too wide, too dark, and too bulky to look good in the room. If he were to put a chair in the alcove, I think he should only put something low along the protruding wall (e.g., a low bookshelf with a picture above). Otherwise, anybody sitting there might feel trapped in the space. -- amateur

• daneejela
    5 years ago

Can you take picture from a different angle to show the furnance that sticks out and doors?

• daneejela
    5 years ago

What about wider built in bench that would double up as seating and a place to rest/day bed in the place of current sofa? And that could also provide extra storage.

Also, I would put some shelves in the place where back wall is deeper.

Maybe some wallpaper to make it more cozy.

Something like this (sorry I am not sure if I understood your place correctly):

(stool is extra seating)

• daneejela
    5 years ago

Here is one more "officy" version..

In this case you'd have one deeper cabinet (full height) and one narrower on the right.

• Victor Young
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My biggesbiggest problem is decorating with the offset

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

I would also try to find shelving to fill up the back of the room try to find 2 separate ones that will fit on each side of the offset. if you found different widths it could level out the wall. A desk in front of shelving makes them accessible just by turning around in your chair. Where is the door and is there any windows?

• wdccruise
    5 years ago

Cheryl: That's a nice arrangement and he could face the room's entrance instead of the wall when sitting at his desk/table. There's that weird alcove in the rear wall but if he used floor-to-ceiling shelving, he could hide it.

• daneejela
    5 years ago

@Victor Young you can easily overcome that offset by chosing/building two cabinets/bookcases with different depth, so that they line up in the front..something like my second example and Cheryl's photo.

• daneejela
    5 years ago

Another question is do you prefer to keep that relaxing option (sofa) or it is not crucial?

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

Daneejela and Lawrence that's what I tried to say but didn't do a good job of it I guess. Fill the back wall with shelving different depths to make it look the same depth. I don't see how the love seat can stay in the room and still be functional as an office. more pictures showing all 4corners of the room would help a lot. It just a guess not knowing where the door to the room is and the furnace that is mentioned is. I hate looking at a wall myself and never suggest it. Facing the door is the power position. Being able to see outside is a plus. Facing a wall is boring and tiring.

• Victor Young
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hope this is bettbetter picture its just a tiny den on the left once you come in the aprtments front door where the guitar is. Im getting rid of the couch fofor sure the space is too smll the floor heater is hidden behind the bookshelves on the

I was also thinking something like this..

• daneejela
    5 years ago

In that case, maybe simple, minimalistic layout like this one can work:

(I've cut off a wall for a better view. )

It's very similar to your latest photo. In this case you would need custom floating table "counter", so that it goes deeper in the recessed part of the wall.

I think it looks nice and open, although you might consider suggestion from Cheryl Smithabout power position facing the door, not wall.

• Cheryl Smith
    5 years ago

could you give us the dimensions of your desk and shelving? I still like the set up I posted and really like your shelving. no reason to get anything new if you don't have to. But minus the love seat you may already have the best layout

• Victor Young
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Id like a new desk ive repurposed those in another

• Victor Young
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

Hi Im back heres what I ended up doing

I kind of want to get rid of the L desk and just dp a straight desk on either wall. I wish I coukd just do it on the back wall but the offset sucks unless i make a fake wall and put wallpaper on the whole thing.