Your shopping cart is empty.

The fairy and the faun.

pippacovalent
February 15, 2019

Are these different enough that if you have The Fairy already it's worth adding The Faun? How do they compare?

Comments (15)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I think The Faun is better, from reading this forum. Sadly, I have neither but The Faun sounded like a treasure.

pippacovalent thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • titian1 10b Sydney

I had The Fairy decades ago, in another garden. It was pretty, but oh those thorns! Like New Dawn, they leave a long memory!

pippacovalent thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • pippacovalent

I have a baby Fairy planted last fall but I did already notice the thorns lol. I think the faun looks pretty too but in photos they look similar so I don't want to also get the faun if it just looks like a repeat of the fairy. I'm wondering if they look similar in person or not.

• suebelle_neworleans

The blooms on The Faun are larger than the blooms of the Fairy. I think the Faun is a better choice. This one is growing in a large pot for years and I love the way it sort of drapes.

pippacovalent thanked suebelle_neworleans
  • erasmus_gw

I tried to post something and it went away. Was just saying that blooms on The Faun are much bigger and a prettier shape as you can see in the beautiful pics above. It's a healthy plant too. Mine is proving to be very tough. It's under a crabapple tree in dry shade, doesn't get watered much at all but is building up into a nice shrubby plant with almost no bs.

The Fairy has much smaller blooms and the plant has a different shape, can be like a giant pincushion. I like a variety of bloom sizes and shapes so to me they are both nice to have.

The Faun's blooms are not large but are medium.

• kittymoonbeam

The fairy has a cloud of little blooms. The mature plant can be a mass of thin stems and fine tiny thorns. It hugs the ground more. I think it blooms more frequently.

The faun is a larger plant. The canes are more upright but still softly bending. The flowers are larger and last longer. The shape of the flower is more defined.

Both are happy in a pot. I have both. If you can't decide, get both and then get China doll too.

pippacovalent thanked kittymoonbeam
  • pippacovalent

Oh suebelle and Erasmus those are so pretty!!! I'm going to go ahead and get the faun too it really is different enough for sure. I have the fairy in the ground maybe I'll put the fawn in a pretty pot. Now off to investigate China doll lol.

• vaporvac

It's never ending. I see China Doll for sale, but never hear anyone mention her much. I love the weeping CD standards.

pippacovalent thanked vaporvac
  • SoFL Rose z10

The Faun for sure. It’s just a great rose. The blooms are much larger that the fairy and much more substantial. They also last much longer on the bush and it has a very pretty cascading habit.

pippacovalent thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

In my opinion The Faun is a much improved The Fairy (its parent). Larger blooms of greater charm, poise and substance, 2.25 to 2.5" with quartered centers. Still, The Fairy is no slouch, a great old rose, but The Faun is better. Alas, both are poorly scented to most noses.

Moses

pippacovalent thanked Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • pippacovalent

Yes Moses it's always such a shame I think that more roses aren't more strongly scented. I planted the Fairy in a spot next to a lavender plant to make up for it though :)

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Pippa,

Now that's using your noodle, and the color combination is a soothing one. Have you ever grown Hidcote lavender? It's my favorite for color and good growth habits.

Moses

pippacovalent thanked Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Another vote for Hidcote-favorite lavender!!!!!

pippacovalent thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Sadly neither plant is remotely hardy for me here in my zone 5 so I'd be cautious below Moses' zone 5/6. Once again, it looks like zone 6 or even 5 with snow cover is vastly different for roses than zone 5 without reliable snow cover. We had 6" of lovely snow the first time we had an extended spell below 0 F but the last stretch was after a warm weekend that melted all the snow before we slammed back below zero. I'm not holding out much hope for this spring and surviving cane.

Cynthia

pippacovalent thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • pippacovalent

Yes!! hidcote is the kind I grow lol!

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).