0

The fairy and the faun.

pippacovalent

Are these different enough that if you have The Fairy already it's worth adding The Faun? How do they compare?

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I think The Faun is better, from reading this forum. Sadly, I have neither but The Faun sounded like a treasure.

pippacovalent thanked Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR
  • titian1 10b Sydney

I had The Fairy decades ago, in another garden. It was pretty, but oh those thorns! Like New Dawn, they leave a long memory!

pippacovalent thanked titian1 10b Sydney
  • pippacovalent

I have a baby Fairy planted last fall but I did already notice the thorns lol. I think the faun looks pretty too but in photos they look similar so I don't want to also get the faun if it just looks like a repeat of the fairy. I'm wondering if they look similar in person or not.

• suebelle_neworleans

The blooms on The Faun are larger than the blooms of the Fairy. I think the Faun is a better choice. This one is growing in a large pot for years and I love the way it sort of drapes.

pippacovalent thanked suebelle_neworleans
  • erasmus_gw

I tried to post something and it went away. Was just saying that blooms on The Faun are much bigger and a prettier shape as you can see in the beautiful pics above. It's a healthy plant too. Mine is proving to be very tough. It's under a crabapple tree in dry shade, doesn't get watered much at all but is building up into a nice shrubby plant with almost no bs.

The Fairy has much smaller blooms and the plant has a different shape, can be like a giant pincushion. I like a variety of bloom sizes and shapes so to me they are both nice to have.

The Faun's blooms are not large but are medium.

• kittymoonbeam

The fairy has a cloud of little blooms. The mature plant can be a mass of thin stems and fine tiny thorns. It hugs the ground more. I think it blooms more frequently.

The faun is a larger plant. The canes are more upright but still softly bending. The flowers are larger and last longer. The shape of the flower is more defined.

Both are happy in a pot. I have both. If you can't decide, get both and then get China doll too.

pippacovalent thanked kittymoonbeam
  • pippacovalent

Oh suebelle and Erasmus those are so pretty!!! I'm going to go ahead and get the faun too it really is different enough for sure. I have the fairy in the ground maybe I'll put the fawn in a pretty pot. Now off to investigate China doll lol.

• vaporvac

It's never ending. I see China Doll for sale, but never hear anyone mention her much. I love the weeping CD standards.

pippacovalent thanked vaporvac
  • SoFL Rose z10

The Faun for sure. It’s just a great rose. The blooms are much larger that the fairy and much more substantial. They also last much longer on the bush and it has a very pretty cascading habit.

pippacovalent thanked SoFL Rose z10
  • Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

In my opinion The Faun is a much improved The Fairy (its parent). Larger blooms of greater charm, poise and substance, 2.25 to 2.5" with quartered centers. Still, The Fairy is no slouch, a great old rose, but The Faun is better. Alas, both are poorly scented to most noses.

Moses

pippacovalent thanked Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA
  • pippacovalent

Yes Moses it's always such a shame I think that more roses aren't more strongly scented. I planted the Fairy in a spot next to a lavender plant to make up for it though :)

• Moses, Western PA., zone 5/6, USA

Pippa,

Now that's using your noodle, and the color combination is a soothing one. Have you ever grown Hidcote lavender? It's my favorite for color and good growth habits.

Moses

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Another vote for Hidcote-favorite lavender!!!!!

pippacovalent thanked oursteelers 8B PNW
  • nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska

Sadly neither plant is remotely hardy for me here in my zone 5 so I'd be cautious below Moses' zone 5/6. Once again, it looks like zone 6 or even 5 with snow cover is vastly different for roses than zone 5 without reliable snow cover. We had 6" of lovely snow the first time we had an extended spell below 0 F but the last stretch was after a warm weekend that melted all the snow before we slammed back below zero. I'm not holding out much hope for this spring and surviving cane.

Cynthia

pippacovalent thanked nippstress - zone 5 Nebraska
  • pippacovalent

Yes!! hidcote is the kind I grow lol!