0

Painted kitchen cabinets

S Noland

I painted my cabinets 7 months ago. I cleansed, sanded, primed, and painted with Ben Moore cabinet paint. All was well- but now this is happening in the panels of some of them. No issues other than the panel seams. Suggestions?

• nosoccermom

Movement of the wood, i.e. contracting during winter heating season.

• dovetonsils

I believe that is caused by the paint not actually getting onto the wood in the edge when you painted it. It could be that there was some grease or the paint was too thick which kept it from getting into and adhering to the wood in the edge. Instead, the paint forms a "bridge" at the edge which makes you think it is covered. When the paint bridge dries, it shrinks and splits.

You can try touching it up with thinned out paint.

The Cook's Kitchen

It’s the lack of humidification control allowing the wood to move beyond the tolerances of the paint film. Dry winter air requires additional whole home humidification. Moist summer air requires the use of air conditioning and/or a dehumidifier.

• rantontoo

It will look a tad better in the spring as the wood expands back, but a crack will still be visible.

• Matt
    Paint was applied to heavy on a raised panel meant to expand and contract
    Filipe Custom Woodwork

Yep combination of both heavier layer of paint more than usual and the natural movement of the wood with the humidity.

Wait til the Spring comes along and touch back with us then.