Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drdavidge_gw

Shower ceiling - is this mold?

drdavidge
5 years ago

Hey, just noticed these 2 dots on my shower ceiling that appear to be “circled” in a strange way. Never saw these before and the bathroom is well ventilated. Any idea if this is mold or could it be something else?

Comments (18)

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Your pic(s) didn't come through. Try adding them in a comment. Sometimes the site is glitchy when it comes to pics.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Hair dye?

• drdavidge
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Trying again with the pics. The circles are so strange.
  • Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    Try a dab of diluted bleach on one spot.
  • smileythecat
    5 years ago

Good question.

• tartanmeup
    5 years ago

Never seen anything like that before. wysmama might be right. As suggested, try a dab of diluted bleach. (Use a Q-tip.)

• mainenell
    5 years ago
    Mildew. Are you in a cold climate? It looks like that spot is colder because of where the nail is causing mildew to form there.
  • wacokid
    5 years ago

It could be the screws for the drywall. They looked to be lined up on a joist. They may have popped and have now rusted? Take a small screwdriver and scratch it to see if it is the metal screw.

• drdavidge
    Original Author
    5 years ago

My guess is that these aren't where the screws/nails are for the drywall. The pic a bit deceptive, they aren't lined up at all and are definitely not a standard width apart. Its sitting right on the drywall, not a nail or screw. We are in a cold climate (NJ). It's so weird and we cant figure it out.

• drdavidge
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Any other thoughts?
  • Fori
    5 years ago

Have you tried wiping it off?

My guess is the ceiling was slightly wet and a mothfly (AKA drainfly) or some other tiny scaled fly or moth bopped up against it and stuck. The rings are probably just from the *poof* of the collision in water.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    5 years ago

Looks like "nail/screw pops."

• kudzu9
    5 years ago

Another vote here for rusted nails/screws. If you take a small magnet and hold it to these spots, you'll find out immediately if that's metal....

• Fori
    5 years ago

Just wipe it off and forget about it!

• tatts
    5 years ago

This isn't a design dilemma. At. All.

And you don't seem to be paying any attention. Can't you just try to clean it yourself?

• drdavidge
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Tatts - not very helpful post there. I’m not having a problem removing it. Yes it wipes off as if it was mold but I wanted to confirm if it was mold or not considering how strange it looked with it growing circular like that. There are no nails or screws in the area. I’ve never seen something like this and it seems like nobody else has that has commented either. The screw/nail theory is not the case either so I’m still a bit bewildered by it. The site suggested posting it here among other boards.

• Fori
    5 years ago

Do you have access to a microscope or even a good hand lens or magnifying glass? Betcha it's insect fluff.

Sponsored
Dream Baths by Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Your Custom Bath Designers & Remodelers in Columbus I 10X Best Houzz