0

Climbing roses for 190 ft of fence

oursteelers 8B PNW

All of this talk of climbing roses and nodding heads has me thinking.

I have about 180 ft of cedar fence, I’ve mostly concentrated on my side of the fence because the other side; the road side, is my “throw away” section. It it our responsibility to weed the property to the road, roughly 12 ft.

That is a LOT to maintain that I don’t even see when I casually look out my window.

So I’ve been tossing stuff out there-fruit trees, juniper(as a ground cover to help with weeding) xtra hostas, butterfly weed etc

Y’all have me thinking tho...maybe I could throw some roses on that side to grow to MY side of the fence. It is full sun on that side in parts while on my side it’s shades by the fence.

Currently growing on my side in the sunny parts I have Quicksilver, First Crush, Frederic Mistral, Tangerine Skies, Social Climber, Kiss Me Kate and Westerland.

My preference would be in the pink and purple shades and fragrant. Once blooming or reblooming not important.

In those parts of the garden I already have MIP, Quietness, PlumPerfect, TwilightZone, mdm plantire, mdm Hardy, gemini, reine des violettes, Young Lycidas, deelish and wedding bells. So probably something different.

Geez. That was a lot of babble....

Thanks :)

• toolbelt68

It may pay you to check what is considered weeds before you invest in plants that my be chopped up by county road crews. Climbers mainly bloom at the top so you won't get much shade/weed blockage from them.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

If only they would be chopped up by county road crews. In our neighborhood the homeowner IS the road crew

• jerijen

Veilchenblau is a natural.
    And you might look up Gardenia -- it was used on fences all over in the 1800's.
    http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/l.php?l=2.2904
    Stick Sombreuil, Cl. in there for continuous bloom.
    If you can find 'Mel's Heritage' go for it! (I think Burlington has it.)

"Peggy Martin"?

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

If I had that much space extra , I would expirament with those glorious once bloomers or massive climbers I don’t really have room for . I have always wanted Albertine, Baltimore belle , Cecile Brunner .. raubrautter ( not sure on spelling ! ) and I would add hybrid musks too . Some get large and drapey but they take their time for me so if I wasn’t paying such close attention to them maybe they would be happy :) oh I would add lilacs , honeysuckles and a snowball bush ( just something I don’t have room for ! lol )

oh and morning glories too .

:)

oursteelers 8B PNW thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

So Lily and Jeri, you guys think those suggestions would look good draping over to my side of the fence?

i don’t wan it to look bad on the roadside but I really want the best part to be on my side of the fence.

Honestly I just want the roadside to be COVERED in plant material so I dont have to weed it. I have more than enough to do in my actual yard.

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9

How about Renae? It is a pretty pink and a great climbing rose. Should do very well there.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I think Renae is gonna have to be a yes because of the lack of thorns. The section she would cover would eventually grow near a path on my side of the fence.

Off to research the other suggestions!

• vaporvac

Chevy Chase. If a few others in my notes I'll look tomorrow

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Lily, I don’t think I can have a plant with Baltimore in the name...it was hard enough for me to buy Raven penstemon. Baltimore AND Raven I’m my garden? No way :)

• summersrhythm_z6a

Maybe grow something your family could eat. What about grapes? In Europe people often train apple and peal trees to a fence/wall. Having a mini orchid in every yard would be lovely. :-) On the other side of the fence you could grow barriers.......

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Summer, last summer I planted a grape to grow over one of my trellis‘. It didn’t do much but I have high hopes for this year.

I also put in a frost peach and Stella cherry tree on that side. I’m a wee bit nervous about the fruit trees and roses being planted on that side of the fence.

My two labs keep the deer out of my yard for then most part but I’m a little worried they will find the new snack bar. Fingers crosses they stick to old patterns.

• Embothrium

I wouldn't plant any edibles near a long-established, busy road due to the involved pollutants including asbestos and lead. Also if there is a public walking space along the outer surface of the fence some passers by may help themselves.

Anything intended to grow flat against the fence will require consistent pruning and training - so much for reduced maintenance. Also stone fruits like cherries and peaches are the most demanding types to grow, due to pest and disease issues for starters. (Birds will often take most of the sweet cherries produced by home plantings in this area unless the trees are netted). Avoid having the growth of climbers congregate at the top by attaching horizontal wires from low down all the way up, so that the fence becomes like a giant guitar neck. And then when doing winter pruning arrange the main stems so that they are fanned out evenly, by attaching them to the wires.

Pruned and trained to grow horizontally along the surface of the fence large climbers like grapes, kiwi and Synstylae roses will eat up quite large sections of fencing - be sure not to over-plant if including any of these.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I do want the climbers to come over into “my” side of the fence, I’m hoping to spill gracefully so should I still start the horizontal process low or wait til it gets a little closer to the top?

I don’t mind sharing with passerbys with two legs as long as they eat it

and not throw it but I’d rather not share with the four legged creatures cause they’ll eat the trees down to nothing.

One time an elk DESTROYED my neighbors apple tree while Piper barked insanely from our side of the invisible fence.

• jacqueline9CA

I would suggest putting in an actual, low growing ground cover, and then plant the climbing roses also. Roses, particularly tall climbing roses, will not prevent weeds. We have roses growing against our wall out by the street in an 8 ft wide bed, in the middle of dense very low ground cover (it will depend on what grows w/o care in your area - take local advice. I use vinca minor and some sort of flat African daisies, but they might not like your climate.). My DH has constructed a sort of tree round thing around the base of each rose, so that the ground cover will not smother the base. That makes it easy to feed & mulch the roses once a year, and fight back the ground cover if it has grown into the small area around the base of the rose. Do you get enough rain so that you would not have to put irrigation out there? We do not, but I thought you might.

Jackie

• Rosefolly

If you are considering once blooming ramblers, you might consider those descended from native American rose species. Rosa setigera comes to mind as it is showy when in bloom. And I agree with Jackie's suggestion about some kind of ground cover and access, perhaps inexpensive concrete stepping stones.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I will definitely have to water the first two years and after that perhaps only sporadically depending on how dry the summer is.

For sure I will be encouraging the juniper-it is closest to the road and then I’m just putting my extras in as they develop in my garden. Plus butterfly weed, parsley, dill etc for the butterflies

I’m really hoping for some roses to drape over the fence toward me with nodding fragrant heads

• pippacovalent

I do like the idea of the roses that can hang over into your side to enjoy from your yard. What I would personally do with a space like that though, is use it to sow seeds for insectary plants to help my roses by providing habitat and food for the beneficials. So basically like a wildflower area to encourage and feed ladybugs, lacewings, etc since they will help all the ornamental plants like roses in your back yard.

• jerijen

Whether they bend more to your side or to the road-side will sort of depend upon where the sun mostly is. But I can't imagine you won't get quite a dose.

I second the suggestion of Renae. It's a winner.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I remember not liking the hybrid musk Buff Beauty at a previous home because the large and blowsy blooms would hang their heads, which is what you would want in your situation. I don't remember the thorn situation, though.

• vaporvac

I'm thinking you have room for more than one! What a dream in z8!!! I've found Sally Holmes to be quite bloomy, but there are so many. Don't forget Cl. Crimson Glory if it does well in your area. Don't forget edibles will absorb any toxins in the soil, so planting true edibles there may not be the best. Have you considered Cornus Mas? It can be trained and pruned to just about any shape and has great fruit if you can beat the birds! ) It's tart so needs cooking and sweetening.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ingrid thorns don’t matter for the entire fenceline. There is just a part on my side that’s a little narrow so whatever is coming over in that particular spot I would want to be thornless. There are already clematis on my side and I thought it would be pretty to have roses come from the other side

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Vap. I did order Sally last fall to go in a different part of the garden. It’s a shadier part and I’m hoping the shade will bring out more of the peach colored buds.

What did you mean about toxins? I do have the cherry trees on that side and I will probably throw the squash and pumpkins over there this year since they get so big. Those are or will be at least 10 ft from street

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I was also looking at the Maggie rose, anybody think it will climb up and over?

• vaporvac

I'm sure it will be fine. I didn't mean to worry you.

• tom jones

I found seven sisters growing on a fence line. It is super hardy and spreads like you would not believe. I also had some drift roses that would work for what your talking about. You could keep them in the area you want by mowing.

• toolbelt68

oursteelers,

Since you have 12 feet of space between the fence and roadway how about planting Wild Flowers in that area? You could still include the rose climbers next to the fence. Just make sure your wild flowers include perennial type so you don’t have to reseed. Also, when sowing the seeds double or even triple the amount so every square inch of soil has a seed laying on it. The wider and taller plants would help eliminate any weeds. Come Spring the perennial plants will get ahead of most weeds. You can sow more annual seeds to cover any bare spots.

• K S 8b Seattle

Not fragrant, but Eden/Pierre de Ronsard gets large for me in Seattle on a south-facing fence. Definitely can be seen from the opposite side of the fence. It will need some training along the fence to achieve the look you want (if you don't fan it on the fence it will turn into a 12+-foot-tall spiky octopus reaching for the south).

• K S 8b Seattle

Zephirine Drouhin? If you wanted to create an impenetrable briar patch you could put Charles de Mills on the other side of your fence and let him do his thing.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

K S, I’m putting zeffy on the fence I share with a neighbor since it likes some shade (and the other fence line is pretty much full sun) and is thornless. I don’t want to send mean canes into their yard.

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Ok, so here are the ones I’m gonna start with:

Laguna, Heritage, Renae, Veilchenbleu(sp?) PeggyMartin and VikingQueen.

Anybody see any troublemakers?

• jerijen

Is Heritage really a climber? It was a rather modest arching shrub, here.

• K S 8b Seattle

Maybe Mel's Heritage?

• totoro z7b Md

Agree that Heritage only gets to be about 6-7 ft for me.

• Matthew Gandin

I recommend Eden

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I like the look of Eden but thought I remember reading no scen, I’ll have to go back and check

Couldn‘t find anyone selling Mel’sHeritage but if I could get Heritage to 8 ft that would work. Then I’d have two feet hanging on my side of the fence, directly above the hydrangeas

• pippacovalent

I thought Burlington roses had Mel's but I may be wrong.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

In PNW zone 8, Mel's Heritage is incredible! I planted it as a band and in one season, it sent out ten fifteen foot canes!! It's one fabulous rose...always on bloom, no disease, beautiful foliage as well as flowers.

Another rose that has been a great climber for me so far (my garden is new) is Pretty in Pink Eden. It's absolutely stunning and blooms all the time. The flowers last a long, long time and fade to a beautiful antique pink shade. So pretty!

• erasmus_gw

To me Eden has a light scent. I think it does better grafted. I had a good plant of it at one time but have had trouble getting a new one established. Am hoping the grafted one I bought last year will take off this year. It's awe inspiring when grown well.

Paul Transon is a rambler that sends out incredibly long, flexible canes. I have it on a fence and it will grow sideways rather that straight up. It is healthy and has few thorns. Not much fragrance.

A climber with a lot of vigor, good repeat and strong fragrance is Harlekin:

It's thorny. Hardy in zone 7.

I think Heritage is a moderate sized arching shrub also. A more vigorous Austin with pale blooms is The Generous Gardener. Blooms last longer and may be a bit bigger. Heritage is more fragrant. TGG is healthier.

• K S 8b Seattle

I got an availability list from Burling two weeks ago and she listed Mel's Heritage as available. Eden doesn't have a fragrance for me, though ability to perceive scent is one of those things that varies from person to person -- so you might be like Erasmus and find it somewhat fragrant (if so, lucky you). Lately I've had a bit of a plant crush on Lady Waterlow and Climbing Shot Silk but don't have a place for either right now -- if you like that blousy, more open style you might want to try one of those?

• oursteelers 8B PNW

Thanks K S. I’ve never ordered from Burling before so I just sent her an email.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

K S....does Burling have Shot Silk this year? I would love to get one.

• K S 8b Seattle

Unfortunately she had it marked as out of stock. It might be worth inquiring about when it will be back in stock. Hers doesn't specify that it is climbing, so I assume it is the bush version. I asked about Shot Silk at Roses Unlimited and they also didn't have it in stock (I'm not sure which version they have). Roses of Yesterday and Today apparently have the climber, but I haven't asked if they have it in stock (I only have room for the bush right now).

I am going to recommend climbing pinkie, it’s vigorous and will cover a area very quickly and it’s scent wafts for me in the spring.

• bluesanne

I'll second Veilchenblau and add Paul's Himalayan Musk. Both are one time bloomers, but oh, what that one time brings!