0

Catalina 1950’s Kitchen

Angela Dassa
last modified: February 17, 2019

Hello- I needed some ideas for the countertops and backsplash for our kitchen. I believe the cabinets are original 1919 and the doors and molding were replaced in the 1950’s. I was trying to incorporate Catalina tiles but not sure I could pull it off. Any suggestions for a beachy Catalina 1959’s look?

• millworkman

Pictures?

Angela Dassa thanked millworkman
  • greenfish1234

Following

Angela Dassa thanked greenfish1234
  • Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    hmm. I could see aqua catalina tiles in your backsplash. how do you feel about tile counters? they're not popular, not as easy to care for, but would actually be fun in your tiny kitchen. But. corian or quartz would be much essier to care for.
    Angela Dassa thanked Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    Beth H. :

you could easily get a pre-fab countertop. (8' or 9' piece) for a few hundred. granite, or quartz or even marble. hire a fabricator to cut it for you. prob another 700 or so.

example of a pre-fab. the edges on 3 sides are done. (this one is called white python)

Check craigslist for remnants, or people that sell partial slabs.

go to a stone yard or a shop where they fabricate the slabs and ask the guy if he has any leftovers. show him your dimensions. I bet you could easily find something.

you could make your own wood countertop if you are really on a budget, and do these green catalina tiles

but I like these 4x4's tiles done in an off-set like this for your style kitchen. I wouldn't do white if you're going to do a white countertop. you can get these in any color.

Angela Dassa thanked Beth H. :
  • Irene Morresey
    Some inspiration, do like the black and white theme with bright accessories, maybe counter and backsplash in black, I wouldn’t use tiles on countertop, nightmare situation
  • Irene Morresey
    More ideas, the white and aqua looks nice too
    Angela Dassa thanked Irene Morresey
  • Angela Dassa

i love all of the ideas. especially the white or wood countertops with the aqua/turquoise catalina tiles.

• Irene Morresey
    Yes that looks nice
    Angela Dassa thanked Irene Morresey
  • Fori

Stone (aside from maybe a solid black or white) would look silly with your wonderful cabinets. Aqua or turquoise on the backsplash, however...perfect. If you want a solid (ie. not tile) counter, wood or solid white would be very nice.

Angela Dassa thanked Fori

Check out IKea for their solid wood butcher block it is affordable and DIYable if you have simple skills. I have to tell I would not waste alot of money on that kitchen as much as you want to embrace the history it is really not a great space that could be so much better

Angela Dassa thanked Patricia Colwell Consulting