0
pippacovalent

What rose is by your front door?

pippacovalent

I feel like by the front door is an esteemed spot for the rose chosen to live there because it's the one people will stand and look at and/or smell while waiting. What's by your front door?

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Sooo beautiful !! I only have apricot drift roses in front of my home with lime light hydrangeas . We get shade after 2. I am paranoid about roses in the front yard , I’m afraid to invite deer. Maybe that’s silly... I have thought about changing it up though .

I have to remove the hostas. They get so ugly but from afar look pretty

pippacovalent thanked Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
  • pippacovalent

Wow the photos are so lovely and the roses you all have listed sound so perfect!!! My front door faces north and is in way too much shade for anything but ferns and the like. There is a spot on the walkway though where I should be able to grow roses though at least.

• K S 8b Seattle

To get to my front door visitors must dodge the thorns of Gertrude Jekyll, Souvenir de Saint Anne's, and Gloire de Dijon. Quite the gauntlet!

pippacovalent thanked K S 8b Seattle
  • bella rosa

Thank you everyone for the compliments!

Erasmus and Lily, great garden pics! Erasmus, definitely give John Davis a try. It's my favorite hardy pink climber. I have 3 of them scattered throughout my garden. I'm thinking of adding 1 more!

pippacovalent thanked bella rosa
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

I just cleared my front beds this morning. Had well established boxwood, nandina, and barberry.

Miserable.

I’ll have both Abraham Darby and Boscobel framing the portico.

pippacovalent thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)

My front entrance faces northwest & my house is off-white stucco, which is a lose-lose situation - plants get leggy from the lack of morning sun, and then fry in the bright afternoon sun reflecting off the stucco. Oh, and it's paved, so any plants have to be in a container (lose x3). Has anyone had any success, with a similar setting?

And, you all have some gorgeous plantings!!!

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Some wonderful planting combos—thank you for the inspirational photos, too! :-)

• Ken Wilkinson

The closest rose to my front door would be Blushing Pink Knock Out. I have a bed of different Knock Out's in front of my porch and BPKO is the one closest to the front door.

pippacovalent thanked Ken Wilkinson
  • vaporvac

I just have one that I hope will eventually climb up my front brick: Cl. Clotilde Soupert.

pippacovalent thanked vaporvac
  • bella rosa

Here's another pic. This one from the side walkway. This rose is William Baffin.

pippacovalent thanked bella rosa
  • the_bustopher z6 MO

On one side of the walkway to my front door is Duchess of Portland, Duchesse de Rohan, Blythe Spirit, and Polka. On the other side is a Ruby Slippers hydrangea quercifolia, some irises, daylilies, and a couple clematis vines.

pippacovalent thanked the_bustopher z6 MO
  • bayarea_girl

On one side of the front house is James Galway. Helen

pippacovalent thanked bayarea_girl
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw

Wow! The pictures of your James Galway should be in every catalog and on every website

They would sell millions because of your incredible example of what James can and will look like

Amazing!!

pippacovalent thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • Lisa Adams

Wow! Somehow I never realized that James Galaway was so beautiful. What a gorgeous rose.

Bella Rosa, what a beautiful sight your side entry is, just wow!

I don’t have much space near my front door, and there’s a dark breezeway. I have a tiny bed that has a perfect sized rose in it. It’s not looking it’s most impressive in February, but starting to bloom again. It’s Golden Buddha, from Paul Barden. It has stayed this nice compact size with minimal pruning for about 3 years. It’s an invaluable rose, since it actually stays compact in So CA.

Here it is today, just starting to bloom.

The blooms are a very rich color, with all the cold,(for us) weather we’ve been getting lately.

Below is a Spring picture, when the clematis is blooming with Golden Buddha. I have different self sowing annuals growing around Golden Buddha, so the little planter looks different each season. Lisa

pippacovalent thanked Lisa Adams
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Therese Bugnet is by my back door with Blue Enchantment hydrangeas at her feet. John Davis is by my front door, but no pics. Both roses are dependable and fuss free.

Bella Rosa, your Wm. Baffin puts mine to total shame. I didn't know he could look that good.

pippacovalent thanked flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW
  • bella rosa

Baygirl, your pics of James Galway are stunning!!

Lisa, thanks for the compliments. I really like your last pic of the yellow rose/purple clematis. What's the name of the clematis?

• Lisa Adams

What I wouldn’t give to live in a setting like that, Flowers. It’s gorgeous seeing the trees behind the beautiful pink blooms. Lovely! Lisa

• Alana8aSC

Bay area girl your James Galway has me wanting one!! So beautiful! I must go look it up now. Kristine is right, your picture should definitely be used for every catalog!

I looked it up, but only love your pictures, hehe

• oursteelers 8B PNW

I agree with everyone about the beauty of your JamesGalway, bayareagirl! It makes me just twitch for summer!

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Lisa, be careful what you wish for, unless you really love pine needles. But, thank you for saying such nice things.

• totoro z7b Md

Drooling over James Galway. Love those frilly petals.

I have Plum Perfect in an urn shaped container. I am concerned it will not have enough soil, but it seems to be growing each year.

pippacovalent thanked totoro z7b Md
  • the_bustopher z6 MO

Bay area girl, the James Galway pictures are really nice and eye-opening. Thanks for the look. Does this variety repeat bloom very well?

• Genevre

I've got two potted Barcelonas on the front porch, and Bolero about three feet away as the nearest ground-planted variety. Both valued for their wonderful fragrances.

Barcelona last November showing cold damage, but still performing! I don't have a Bolero photo.

pippacovalent thanked Genevre
  • seil zone 6b MI

The closest rose to the front door is Golden Celebration. It can get big and tall and the blooms nod down on people so they can smell the great scent!

• erasmus_gw

Love that James Galway, Wm Baffin, and the Golden Buddha with purple clematis. I bought a James Galway grafted plant from David Austin roses last spring. It did not do well but there is one cane and it is growing and looking good so there's hope. Those are some of the prettiest pictures of it.

Also love your front garden, Lilyfinch. I think I need some peegee hydrangeas.

• Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

I love roses by the front door! I love seeing everyone's pics. Bella rosa...you're rosy tunnel of William Baffin is swoonworthy.

I added a little porch onto the front of my house purely so I could grow roses on it. My house was built in 1919, so I chose a rose of that era: Madame Caroline Testout. It's only been in the ground a year, so it's not looking impressive yet, but here are the "beginning" pics...

This is the porch we built:

pippacovalent thanked Rosylady (PNW zone 8)
  • pippacovalent

That porch and rose are perfect for the house nice job!!

• bayarea_girl

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

The_bustopher, James Galway repeats in flushes but not as much as other DA climbers such as Teasing Georgia or The Wedgwood Rose. Helen

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

So many good ideas here! I wish I had the know how to incorporate them into my house and garden. Rosylady, you need your own show! Your porch addition is just as impressive as your lattice house and does a beautiful job of carrying the lattice theme to the front of your house. Please tell us about the stone planter in the foreground of the photo.

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

All these photos make the dirt by my front door lonely.

pippacovalent thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • Lisa Adams

Bella Rosa, the clematis with Golden Buddha is Franziska Maria. She stays about 5’ tall and bloomed all summer with deadheading. Lisa

pippacovalent thanked Lisa Adams
  • Rosylady (PNW zone 8)

jc...hahahaha...you have a great front porch! It's going to look beautiful with roses planted there

flowersaremusic...thank you! That little stone semicircle is actually the "step" where you step up onto the porch from the gravel driveway. It's something they used to do in New England...I saw it on an old episode of This Old House. The entrance to the rose garden is on the other side of the driveway and has the same semicircle step.

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Oh, now I see what it is and how it repeats on the other side of the driveway. Beautiful home and you've landscaped it to perfection. We had thought about doing much the same with the driveway, but I opted for lawn, and I've regretted it ever since because our entire front of the house and lawn is shaded by two large maples, so I can't grow anything there anyway. Beautiful backdrop of trees behind your home. Looks like a few different varieties.

• erasmus_gw

Wow, Summers. That pink rose thinks your winters are just fine.

pippacovalent thanked erasmus_gw
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks! That’s Bulsh Lucy on a north facing spot. It’s super winter hardy. :-) The old canes dead suddenly 3 years ago. I have been training the young canes to climb up again, a long process.

pippacovalent thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • jc_7a_MiddleTN

Why do I feel ashamed after reading this thread?

lol I have a lot of catching up to do.

These are all so incredible.

i honestly prefer these landscap/house pictures to the individual bloo pictures

pippacovalent thanked jc_7a_MiddleTN
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Just for fun, here is my mailbox which the new mailman missed it a couple times .........lol

pippacovalent thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • oursteelers 8B PNW

Summer that is so pretty! Is that rose thornless?

• suncoastflowers

I LOVE that! Totally worth missing a few days of mail!

What rose is that?

• suncoastflowers

I have a young own root Clotilde Soupert. It's finally starting to put on some growth and I am hoping for a nice flush soon. I need to replace the trellis with something large.

pippacovalent thanked suncoastflowers
  • summersrhythm_z6a

Oursteelers & Suncoastflowers, that’s Altissimo in bright red, it has thorns. I got it from Walmart for $5 (bare root).

pippacovalent thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • cyndita (west coast zone 9)

summersrhythm - I love your mailbox flowers! What's the purple flower on the left? And, your mailman is a brave soul, given the thorns on Altissimo! (I'm sure you keep the access to the mailbox cut back.)

pippacovalent thanked cyndita (west coast zone 9)
  • flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Summers, you must tell us more. I'm always interested in a super hardy climber. Is it Blushing Lucy by any chance? Yours looks so much fuller than the pics on HMF. Does yours repeat? HMF says occasional, but they are often not accurate with their info. I could be happy just sitting on your front steps.

And, your mailbox is just pure charm. Your house must look like the Enchanted Cottage.

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

Wow what amazing additions to this thread!!!! Amazing . I am excited to see Teresa bugnet ... I ordered that from heirloom. Is it a climber Flowers ?

Summers you don’t post photos often enough!! Wow!! So beautiful. Love your mailbox garden too

Lisa your clematis looks great with that rose !

Jc , did you not just move into that house?! Lol you have plenty of time. It’s such a stately and lovely home . When I moved into this home, all my front was a solid rectangle of a laurel hedged in . It was awful !! And a large Japanese maple that had been cut with a trimmer into a large ball . Wonder if I have pics. It was something

Suncoast that Clotilde will be so beautiful! Please share more photos when it blooms .

Feeling really inspired!!!

• flowersaremusic z5 Inland NW

Lilyfinch, Therese Bugnet is big, but not a climber. The growth form is vase shaped. I prune them back every few years so the canes don't bend under the porch roof. HMF says not to prune, but my husband whacks on them all the time because they hang over his lawn, and it doesn't seem to bother them. The first flush is the best, but they're rarely without a bloom.

• summersrhythm_z6a

Thanks guys! I just saw the typo there with the photo, had to fix it. Sorry about that. :-)

Cyndita, The purple flower is clematis "President" (I think). I ordered so many clematises one year, lost all the tags over the years.

Flower, That's Blushing Lucy. Super hardy here, it hardly has any winter die back. It doesn't repeat here in my zone, but it repeats in warmer zones. I contacted RVR about it one year, they told me it repeated very well over there. Dreamland from Palatine is another hardy rose in my garden, it repeats well.

I will start to whack Therese Bugnet in my garden, I have 8 of them from Walmart and HD, I paid $5 each 2-3 years ago. They don't repeat well. Thanks to your DH, I will do the same this year.

Lily, My yard is super messy. I don't have any clean photos, haven't had much time to pull the weeds after work, the garden became wild wonderland. A couple neighbors thought I quit gardening last summer. The weeds were taller than the roses in some beds. Lol Yours is always nice and beautiful without any weeds!

• bella rosa

So many beautiful pics everyone! Keep them coming!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN

LF, I moved in 5 weeks ago and already replaced the shutters, ripped out everything in the foundation beds and a genuinely awful corner bed that was so overgrown I discovered decorative brick at the bottom after I tore it all out, and I cut down a really awful sideways growing redbud tree.

If I go overboard and don’t have enough space, I’ll happily remove things. I’m too impatient to wait to see how things perform before getting additionals. I’d rather scale back than wait for more.

I’m on a mission.

• vaporvac

I guess we all want what we can't have. LF, I would love a laurel hedge, but I think we're a bit too cold. Some are rated to Z6, but I'd hate to have it killed to the ground in a bad winter since I think it's slow growing. I really need a tall hedge that's NOT bush honeysuckle. : ( I could use a solid fence, but hedging looks SO pretty as a backdrop for roses.

• summersrhythm_z6a

jc, Congrats on your new home! A new beginning! You might find some beautiful surprises in the garden when spring comes.