Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seaguldee

all black stairs repaint?

Jennifer
5 years ago

Hi,
We are repainting our stairs. it's pine and doesn't match the redone wood flooring. I really like the effect of painting in a dark black colour, but we have white carpet on the stairs and won't be replacing that for safety reasons. I have seen where people paint the top banister and top of stairs black with white spindles. I was wondering if there was any way to pull off black banister, with black spindles and top of stairs all black and the rest white (side of stairs and side of stairs trim maybe?). I haven't seen a photo of this. Has anyone done it? I have seen people go completely black but not with the carpet still
there. below are photos of my current stairs.... the last photo is an idea of what I want to do, but can't tell if this would look terrible with our carpet. we will eventually replace the carpet, just not for at least a year.

Comments (32)

• PRO
    Fairway Style Living
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Hi, Jennifer--

Like your motivation on the project, and agree that the stair unit could do with a finish update. However, I wouldn't go all black as I think, in your design with a radius involved, that would easily feel oppressive and mask some of the detail you've got in your design today.

Here's what I'd recommend instead:

-Take your existing trim white color and do your stair skirts and risers as you mentioned as an option you're considering. I would also do your spindles and rosettes in this same tone, but in an enamel that's sprayed on for an even more durable finish. Since you have pin-top spindles, they're relatively easily removed to be ganged together by your painter to spray them independently for a flawless finish in your garage or offsite.

-Have your stair treads and handrail stained and sealed to match your new flooring. This will continue your existing flooring statement up the staircase and bring that updated look up, tying both levels together. Plus, painted handrails that aren't varnished overtop just aren't as impermeable as they need to be to really do their job.

Looks like you've got a really lovely foyer design with nice proportions. Doing this project right will make a great welcome statement in your home for years to come. Cheers!

• houssaon
    5 years ago

Wait until you are ready to replace the carpet for this project. Like Fairway Style Living recommendations.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    yes, I agree that will look nice, but it's just what everyone does when repainting their pine stairway. any ideas for something a tiny but more out of the ordinary?

the carpet probably isn't going to be replaced for some time. I can't stand to look at this stairway any longer.
  • joyilyse
    5 years ago
    The carpet really needs to change. Even if it is the same carpet on the second floor you don’t need to replace everything..... it looks fun when the stair runner is a different look or pattern. I get what you are trying to do but I think you will still not like it with that carpet. You have a great space to work with!
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

ok, I agree. carpet change in order. what do you think about more white in staircase.... like these???

• jhmarie
    5 years ago

I think if you have kids you will much prefer the railing and treads stained to match the floor as suggested by Fairway. Stained railing and treads is a classier look then painted and much easier to upkeep if the stairway is actually used. Solid black and solid white show dirt and dust. The black paint is also very trendy - and much less timeless. Your stairway looks more oak than pine.

• rinked
    5 years ago

Have it stained in one of the darker tones from your floor (yet not too red), like a dark oak/chocolate. Somewhat like your front door. Or combine white and natural:

• rinked
    5 years ago

And a slightly more dramatic runner:

• housegal200
    5 years ago

The black railings you show in your photo don't have any of the trim features you have in your house, which you should work with. I would keep all that and find a great stair runner with some golden tones. If you must paint, go white, not black to tie in with trim paint in the rest of the area.

• Tanya
    5 years ago
    Hi Jennifer. I also fell in love with some black painted staircases I found on Houzz. Personally, I believe that if you really like it, go for it! Since you plan on replacing the runner in a year, maybe painting the spindles, sides and banister can be your test run to see how much you will really like it. I do agree that when you replace the carpet, I would have the treads stained to match your new floors. I don’t think it matters that the rest of the trim in your house is white. We did our spindles, banister, sides and risers in black about 2 yrs ago. We sanded, did 3 coats of paint and 3 coats of poly. We have not had a single scratch or anything, even with dogs that run up and down them many times a day. The first 2 photos are mine and the other 2 are my inspiration photos from Houzz.
  • Tanya
    5 years ago
    Sorry, my bad. The photos are out of order and I don’t know how to fix that.
  • mccarthy367
    5 years ago
    I would take the carpeting off the stairs, leave upstairs hallway carpeted with old carpet. Then put carpet treads on the stairs. You could pick a pattern like the rug at your front door, or something else. I think your stairs are lovely and I would not paint them. Mismatched woods tones aren't something you should be afraid of. Mixed woods are everywhere. Embrace the beauty of what you have and get ride of what really needs to be taken away - the carpet.
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Trying to paint or stain the wood while having the carpet will be a nightmare. Do it all at once. You’ll have a better vision of the whole staircase when you’ve gotten rid of the carpeting and can decide on the risers as well.
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    update: after speaking with my painters, we tried to re-stain part of the stairway (following sanding) and the wood won't take the stain. The painter suggested using harsh chemicals to strip the wood more, but the off gassing would make unsafe. Instead he suggested antiquing this part of the stairway with paint to make mimic the look of wood. I know this isn't likely to stick as well but I am not sure we have much choice. Does anyone have any experience with antiquing (photos please) or have any alternative ideas?
  • PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

jennifer,,,first off, the wood is oak, not pine. second, why are you having your painter do anything w/wood refinishing? He should have told you that It won't take the stain because the wood has a clear coat on top that resists anything from absorbing. the top coat could easily be removed with sanding, being careful not to bite into the actual stain. you just need to remove the clear top coat in order to apply a darker gel coat. and if the current products(what is currently on your bannister) used happen to have been water based, an oil based stain will repel against that.

As for stripping, there is a natural green product that i've used that words great. SoyGel stripper.

it's gentle enough that you can use your bare hands and it cleans up with plain water. (the others need a chemical 'wash' after scraping)

stripping those spindles would be an absolute nightmare to do. either get new ones, or paint them. doing the bannister isn't that bad. what you could try is sanding off the clear coat w/a 120 grit sanding pad to try and remove the top coat. you'll see it on the sandpaper as a fine, whitish dust. wipe well w/mineral spirits after sanding to see if you got it all. then go over it w/a darker gel stain.

this one was done with a darker stain like Java.

painting black for the banister and treads, white for the risers and spindles.

if you'd rather update, go w/more of the squared off spindles

this first one is how the walnut gel stain would look w/the white square spindles.

all painted a matte black

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Painters often don’t know much about stripping and stains no woods. Take Beth’s advice.
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Are there any downsides to gel stain? Reading about it, it looks like you should sand (as you said) and treat as paint when applying. Does it hold up well on a banister? We did ask the painter to re-stain it, so he was trying what we asked. He must not have experience with gel stain. I will discuss this option, thanks.
  • Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    You mentioned going with a darker gel stain, we were looking for provincial colored stain. Do you think this would be dark enough as a gel stain to have an effect?
  • User
    5 years ago

Not the way to do a project but I was bored one weekend and decided to paint my white spindles black. With three boys the white was taking a beating. This might give you an idea of how yours would look. I’m still deciding what I want to do with the stained wood and the spindles need a finish coat.

I will also be changing the wall color soon.

• tqtqtbw
    5 years ago

We had the carpet removed from the stairs as part of a remodel and new carpet installed upstairs --boo, but the budget and uneven underlayment required it. They replaced the stair treads, painted the risers white for a classic look. The banisters and spindles are same as original. Stained rails are easy wearing.

General Finishes gel stain is super easy to work with. I would follow Beth's advice.

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

gel stains are a bit easier to apply and dry a bit faster. you'll only want one coat since gel stains tend to work like a nail polish would. Provincial is a medium, neutral brown.

after the stain dried, you'll want to apply a urethane top coat to protect the finish. I like a wipe on for this process.

jennifer, there are tons of tutorials on blogs on how to stain your oak bannister. read up on a few so you know what should be done.

Here, this one is a perfect how-to

https://www.remodelaholic.com/diy-stair-banister-makeover-gel-stain/

(this link prob has more info in it than your random painter even knows)

she used Java on this one. Java is about 2-3 shades darker than provincial, but the same neutral tone. remember, use only one coat! if you want it darker, pick a darker stain, but do not use multiple coats.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    So, no one has had any problems with the coverage of gel stain being uneven?
  • Sammie J
    5 years ago

Jennifer - I've never experienced the unevenness with General Finishes - but I did with Minwax. Make sure to gently stir the stain very, very well before starting.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Hi wanted to leave an update. Our painter was hesitant about the gel stain and we didn't have time to get someone else to do it and we knew we would never have time to paint the white, so we just had him paint the white for the time being and will update gel stain at a later date. I know it's the wrong order. Anyway, this is the stairs without gel staining the wood part. Carpet to be changed in near future too. just this little change has made a massive difference, more to come with further updates.

• User
    5 years ago

It looks great! Nice and clean and fresh. And believe me, you did the smart thing having him paint it all while he was there. Those spindles are a PITA to paint.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago

Great job! Looks updated and fresh.

• Amanda Smith
    5 years ago

Following

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

just wanted to add a photo of the final product. I painted the railing.

• Jennifer
    Original Author
    3 years ago

more

• PRO
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    3 years ago

We had honey oak bannisters and did the same, and love it! The only question was whether to paint the newel posts black or white, and we chose white.

black handrail staircase · More Info

black handrail staircase · More Info

• RedRyder
    3 years ago

Jennifer, good job! The drama of a dark bannister makes the whole staircase more beautiful.