0

Oak trim - paint or keep?

dcarendt

Just finished painting the closet doors SW Greek Villa and really like how it works with our natural finished red oak floors. Any thought as to continue and paint the trim and baseboards to match or keep as is? They are currently a shade darker than the floors with a natural stain.

• houssaon

Are you planning to paint the trim in the rest of the house? Usually it is the same throughout.

Debbi Washburn

I like the drama of a wood trim

• dcarendt

The delimma is that I really like the contrast of the oak trim with the Greek Villa. The baseboards are another story as they are not in the best of shape. As we are on one level it would be easy to paint all baseboards. Considering a combo of oak door trims and painted baseboards to match the doors?

HALLETT & Co.

Paint all the trim, let the floors be the stars

• cat_ky

If you want to keep the oak trim on the doors, then, sand down the baseboards that need work, and restain them to match the trim. Baseboards and trim, should be the same.

• ingrid_vc so. CA zone 9

I would paint the trim and the baseboards.

• jjam

Paint the trim. Your floors will stand out and look great. A more consistent and clean look that will always be in style.

• chloebud

Yes...paint the trim.

Fairway Style Living

Are you committed to the faux finish wall treatment? If that stays, it can't duke it out with a stain-grade trim and feature floors. Nice work on the doors: I'd paint your trim and base to match in Greek Villa.

You may also discover that you want the contrast of a more solid, saturated wall tone at that point, but you can select it with just your trim color and flooring in mind instead of three variables.