0

Can anyone help me with this color?

Jora
last modified: February 20, 2019

• Jora

Anyone?

JAN MOYER

https://www.houzz.com/pro/missem79/a-well-dressed-home

Contact the designer above, who may or may not tell you. It may be specific to a cabinet line, or it may be a custom color/stain for a client

Or go to a paint store, and select a similar.

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • Najeebah

"go to a paint store, and select a similar" is your best bet.

I assume you're looking to get the same result you're looking at.
    However, you're also looking at the natural and artificial lighting in that scene, potential photographic set lighting, photographic edits, filtered through particular camera settings and your device screen settings...
    And the exact paint colour without all those factors, in your actual space, can look vastly different.

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Najeebah is right on point! Take the image to the paint store and color match it for all the reasons stated above.

• Michelle

There is an option to ask a question on the lower right side of your screen when you look at the photo in Houzz. It doesn't look like anyone has asked that question yet. You might try that. Sometimes they don't answer, but this designer has answered other questions.

• lindahambleton

It makes me think of chalk paint. There also looks like filters were used in the photographing. It is a pretty color.

Jora thanked lindahambleton
    Filipe Custom Woodwork

Best would be to print it out and get a close match. Based on the questions and comments posted on the right hand side, others have asked the question and offered to pay and designer has refused.

Jora thanked Filipe Custom Woodwork
  • Jora

Hi Everyone, Thanks for the responses. Obvious option would have been to reach out to the designer (as Felipe said many have asked, and even offered to pay the designer), however she refused to share.

I have considered that the color is mostly due to all the filters and lighting done prior to posting the pix, and although I do understand that the best bet would be to take the picture to a local store and try and match it (have done many times before), I thought I'd reach out on this site to see if anyone would know, or potentially can recommend one that is the closest to this shade.

I tried many search options under 'powder gray blue', and have found a few very close, but with a tad less gray in it.

• mvcanada

Maybe BM Summer Mist might be close

It is so very hard to tell from the photos and everyone's monitors show a different colour. Like others mentioned, take a photo to a good paint store and let them try to colour match it for you until you get the colour you like. It is definitely very pretty and I can see why the photo caught your eye. Really pretty bathroom.

Jora thanked mvcanada
  • B F

a reverse google image search found it here: https://sanctuaryhomedecor.com/the-15-most-beautiful-bathrooms-on-pinterest/

that blog says the source is http://www.awelldressedhome.com/. however, when I go to that site, I don't actually see it there! you might want to contact one of these two blogs for more info.

• J. Appelbaum

This paint sample looks like too much color. I think lighter and grayer.

Jora thanked J. Appelbaum
  • Jora

Thank you Beverly...very good eye. Although this is very close, it's already on a vanity...doesn't tell me what color it is. :)

• Jora

Can you guys tell me which is the closest?

Benjamin Moore Sheer Bliss

Benjamin Moore November Skies - 2128-50

Sherman Williams Windy Blue

Thank you!

JAN MOYER

You want the SENSE of the color. Below is Valspar ......"Courtyard Shadow"

The designer won't tell you, and for all anyone knows? She took a towel to a paint store, said "match this" and it is a custom mix........with fifty dabs of this and that. She may have the Ben Moore formula for it. Or an SW formula. A "formula" created as she stood in a hardware/paint store and patiently added a drop of red, a drop of black.......and you won't know until you do the same thing, from a starting chip that is close. And LIGHTER than you believe you want.

That is true of most custom mix, and truest yet of any blue, except deepest navy. : )I'd start from courtyard.......and tweak. Use mat boards at the paint store, dry it with a hair dryer, and compare with white.... plan an hour so take a cup of coffee with you. Don't do it on a Saturday morning. .... with every home Joe in town at the counter.

The larger point is you want the blue you like, that looks good with your stuff, in your home. The vanity, and that coveted color , is in the home of another. In person? It may not even look as the photo.

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
    Lori A. Sawaya

Lulworth Blue No. 89 from Farrow & Ball.

Don't look at chips of Lulworth online, they're all over the place from turquoise to periwinkle. The swatch on the F&B website is especially off.

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • lindahambleton

I read when choosing flowers from a plant catalog that blues where the hardest color to photograph. I would suspect that was true for paint also.

Jora thanked lindahambleton
  • Cheryl Hannebauer

>>>love the color

Jora thanked Cheryl Hannebauer
  • B F

You can find inspiration online, but at the end of the day, you really have to go to a paint store and pick out chips. Take home. Pick a few. Get paint samples. Try them. Rinse and repeat until you find the one that speaks to you.

If you go to a real paint store, there are people there that can help you choose. (but I wouldn't 100% poo poo box stores. I've had good luck with Behr and Lowes version of Sherwin Williams, and their samples are way more affordable if you have a tight budget.)

Jora thanked B F
    Lori A. Sawaya

I pulled the chip of Lulworth before I posted last time and I've been looking at it on my desk since.

Somebody needs to use this color. Bathroom vanity or something else.

It's gorgeous. #justsayin

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
    JAN MOYER

Just dawned on me. I used this on a clients bar cabinetry with white marble top. We wanted a bit of "french grayish we'll know it when we see it" " It was perfection. It's the only Valspar I have ever used. : ) But against white? Absolutely Gorgeous.

I think you love the FEEL of the bath in the photo......"Just sayin" I do think you would get it with this. Maybe even better.: )

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • lindahambleton

I will do it Lori. :)

• Jora

Thank you all! You guys ROCK. Thank you Lori and Jan.

I've been to the B.M. store SO many times in the past year, as well as to Lowe's, painting this and that...and spending so many hours looking at their color charts...and although my heart always says "this time actually PICK a color color"...I always end up with my 'go to' colors...of B.M. White Dove and Cloud White.

Bathroom is: White porcelain tile with hints of light gray veining, countertop is white quartz with random light gray veining, two white rectangular porcelain vessel sinks, waterfall faucets in Chrome, and two octagon shaped mirrors.

The cabinets were espresso (until last week), when I sanded and primed them, and getting ready to paint them my go to B.M. in white dove, when I came across this pix and just fell in love!

Figured it was the right shade of light gray blue for our bathroom (no natural light). Regardless of what the actual color of the pictured vanity is in real life, I'm trying to find something that will mimic the color it was posted as online!

Thank you again for both the suggestions, and the recommendations! :)

Lori A. Sawaya

I've been to the B.M. store SO many times in the past year, as well as to Lowe's,

It's a higher-end bathroom design. Unlikely the color is from Lowe's or Benjamin Moore.

More likely it's Farrow & Ball, Fine Paints of Europe or a finish/color from a custom cabinet maker.

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
  • Jora

Lori - My trips to BM and Lowe's weren't for hunt on this color, rather for different projects in our home. :)

Unfortunately I live in a very small town and our stores are very limited.

The one you recommended, although very pretty, has a green undertone to it (at least via my computer).

I find that the color (Valspars Courtyard Shadow) that Jan suggested is a pretty close one to the one in the pix.

Lori A. Sawaya

It doesn't.

Which is why I said you can't look at the chip online.

This is a picture of my fandeck/chip of Lulworth.

Most people order Farrow & Ball samples and paint on line because retailers are limited. Again, the swatch on this link looks nothing like the color in real life.

F&B is mixed at the factory and shipped. It's not mixed in a paint store

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
    Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Yes, and the swatch on the link looks nothing like the room photo underneath, which is painted with Lulworth Blue.

Jora thanked Diana Bier Interiors, LLC
    Lori A. Sawaya

Farrow & Ball has the worst online swatches of any of the brands. Not even sure why they bother.

Color on a monitor is never going to be the same as in real life but at least make an effort.

Jora thanked Lori A. Sawaya
    JAN MOYER

I don't want to do battle on custom mix. But a good mixer at any Benjamin Moore /specialty hardware or paint store, can achieve what you want. The key is the "eye". Yours and his. There is nothing ( almost ) that I have used "straight form the chip". The Valspar? Yes. Hale Navy Ben Moore?Yes. A half dozen others.

The point is the "sense" of the color you want. If you can see it, and a good mixer can see it? Magic. "High end" can be achieved in color.....almost any brand. High end is the color complexity, ( Farrow and Ball is known for theirs ) finish , application, the design, the quality of craftsmanship, the SUM of all the parts in the room and all materials in whatever you are doing. With paint, or anything else.

No chip is 100% accurate, until mixed. Which is why you don't select online. You do it IN the store and in your home. How did I end with the Valspar? The best mix guy in the BM store was sick. After four attempts with a yo yo sub? I found the Valspar................on the wall I usually never glance at : )Misty Harbor was IT from the get go and from the can. No tweaks lol. With blue? Go lighter and grayer than you think you want on that cabinetry. Try the "Misty" ..... it's paint, not an axe.

Jora thanked JAN MOYER
  • lynartist
    Jora, it really doesn’t matter at all what color that vanity is painted! You are in love with the color you are Seeing , not the actual color! Your search for the actual color will no doubt be disappointing if you do find it! Just go find the closest one to this photo color!
    Jora thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    It’s possible whatever color this is may have a light glaze on it too!
    Jora thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    If I was painting the vanity though I would be inclined to go a bit softer and grayer/ blue. I have a feeling that photo is probably a much lighter color in reality!
    Jora thanked lynartist
  • lynartist
    Here’s Jan’s Misty Harbour. This might work very nicely for you.
    Jora thanked lynartist
  • Jora

Thank you everyone. I will respond to you wonderful people in a couple of days. It's been a loooong day of hubby and I installing backsplash...and a shower and warm bed sound pretty good about now.