Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
poohbearlvr

Some Pictures Of My Violets To Share

PoohBearLvr
5 years ago

Just wanted to share some pictures of my violets. The pink/green one is my only Russian, its name translates into... 'I wish I liked this'. An odd name, but that is what I was told it translates into. The Russian name is so long!! This name is easier. Had to remove 10 leaves and 5 bloom stalks, to make it fit under the lights.

The purple one with the spots is my 'Gee Pee' one. I had to thin it out as well. To spruce it up a bit. Just wanted to share some pictures of my flowers. For the northern violet lovers. Maybe you haven't seen some fantasy violets in a few months?? Don't know if yours keep blooming in the winter months. Since I grow them under lights, or near them, they are always in bloom. Hope they bring some cheer to fellow violet lovers.

Comments (27)

• dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Those are so beautiful! I've been planning to start growing AVs again, but I have to get rid of all these tropicals so I'll have space in the front window. I miss my little minis and bought some teacups years ago to grow them in, but never did it, because I was moving around too much. I bought a standard from Lowe's not too long ago on clearance, and I'm nursing it back to health and have some leaves rooting.

When I lived in my house, I had the perfect window to grow them in natural light, and had over 20 varieties of mini/semi minis. I always had leaves going. I just love rooting the leaves and watching the little mouse ears come up.

PoohBearLvr thanked dirtygardener
  • aegis1000
    5 years ago

Very nice ...

PoohBearLvr thanked aegis1000
  • mr1010
    5 years ago

Beautiful. Are the leaves naturally all ruffly and crinkly on the top one?

I've never seen that type. You must have the right touch. Congrats.

PoohBearLvr thanked mr1010
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That crinkly one is the 'Russian' variety, and it is naturally that way. I got it as a 'plug' on EBay for like $25! And was promised these colored blooms. Pink with green and white edges. I had to have it!!

Well it gave me these blooms and it never ever stops. The crown is one of my 'tight ones', from (to much light, everyone is saying)....so I try to keep the light from the crown, with paper towels over the crowns. But it still grows very firm and the blooms get trapped in all that wavy foliage, I have to get them past the leaves to see the blooms. I have one other fantasy called 'Ma's Midnight Spell', that I adore, it is frilly as well and has incredible blooms, but I forgot to take pics. it has pink single blooms with a lot of purple spotting along the edges. Also under the lights, and covered with paper towels for the crown.

But it keeps them growing and blooming 12 months a year. IF my camera took better pictures, you would see the truly deep colors. But these are close:)

• whgille
    5 years ago

Nice violets!

I grow different varieties and with natural light, here are some....

• PoohBearLvr thanked Elsa
  • dirtygardener
    5 years ago

Those are beautiful, Silvia!

• mr1010
    5 years ago

Just Wow, whgville! Can you share what fertilizer and soil you are using.

mine look healthy and bloom regularly but don't quite look like your specimens. Those are at their peak, imo.

• irina_co
    5 years ago

Yeah - Elsa is right - the Russian transliterated name of this plant is "Chtob Ja Tak Zhil!'

the traslation is more like "I wish I 'd live like that!" And it grows and blooms correctly for PoohbearLvr.

A curiosity piece - super frilly leaves and cheerful small pink and frillu green edge blossoms. It can variate from paler pink to hot pink =- and there is even a pink and white chimera off this variety - no less ugly.

I copied the pic from this site: http://myviolet.fmbb.ru/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=882&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&view=print

PoohBearLvr thanked irina_co
  • Elsa
    5 years ago

Irina,

Is your picture also Chtob Ja Tak Zhil? If yes, the one in your picture is prettier.

Actually I want buy Chtob Ja Tak Zhil because the seller picture is bright pink which I like. I have too many pale pink violet already.

PoohBearLvr thanked Elsa
  • whgille
    5 years ago

Thank you D

Mr1010, thank you. I have a big bag of Pro Mix and I use for everything .

Few years back I went to a violet show here in Orlando and I bought 2 bags of fertilizer to use it at different times, one is bloom. I still have them and use them but before I had healthy violets also and was using liquid fertilizer for violets, I think is a violet colored bottle.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

ELSA....yes that is my Russian violet:) thats a much nicer picture and thats the name.

Which do you like better?? Mine of that streaked one?? My plant has much hot pink blooms. It is not a pale pink at all. It is VERY hot!! And it doesn't have the streaks like in that picture above. It is a hot bright solid pink with a green/white edges on it....as it ages over a few weeks, the edge gets a bit whitish.

Some streaking happens just before the bloom dies. But it stays bright pink while open, the leaves are VERY frilly and firm, I am just now getting 'pups' on the plant, hoping I will be able to take them off in a few week and have a couple more!! Like you see in my picture, it has solid green leaves, and the edges on some have a tiny bit or red/pink on them!

Mine gets rather large. And covered in blooms. I have to thin them out, to avoid stressing the plant to much.

Maybe because of the lights, But it isn't a small plant for me. but the frilly leaves do make it more round, not wide,like regular leaves would do.

They have another one on eBay now to buy?? You gonna try and get it?? It cost me a lot!! Bid carefully if you do. Which seller is it, if it is on Ebay?? It might be the one I got mine from.

• Elsa
    5 years ago

Poorbear,

Omg, I want hot hot hot pink!!!. I think I will wait until spring to get it. I don't want to pay extra for insulation and postage. I guess the seller always has it.

PoohBearLvr thanked Elsa
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

if you tell me the seller i might know them. I buy my violets on EBay. I only saw the 1 that I got...they rarely sell more than 1 of each variety at a time. It might be months till another comes up for sale. Who is the seller?

• Elsa
    5 years ago

Poorbear,

I just search ebay and I did not see anyone selling this one now. I remember I saw someone post on Facebook. Probably the same person sell on ebay.

PoohBearLvr thanked Elsa
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Ohh. Thought you saw it for sale on EBay. It might have been the one I got mine from. Then you would probably get it from the same parent plant. So you get the color you want.

• Elsa
    5 years ago

I found a past ebay sale. Its It's from blissstreetvioletry.

PoohBearLvr thanked Elsa
  • Elsa
    5 years ago

I wonder where Rosie got her plant. ROSIE!!! Where are you?

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

i recognize that name on EBay. It is one of the big violet sellers. I dont know if that was where I got mine. It was 2 years ago. I do know that I only got this 1 violet, and it was VERY expensive. all Russian varieties are. And the shipping for all violets are just outrageous. Up to $11 for 1 plant. Do mine was over $30 all together, with shipping.

• irina_co
    5 years ago

I like hot pink better too - but - until they bloom - you do not know if your starter will be on a darker shade - or on the paler shade.

The pic I posted was a CHIMERA - a pinwheel mitation of this variety...very rare.

Intense colored original - is hot pink and green gold frill. Very rich.

Still cheaper than a Tesla.

I would not be in a hurry to buy anything from eBay unless you live in a South and the seller in a South too. I went to see my Mom in a Senior living today... 2 hours later when I took off - 3 inches of snow on the growd and keeps coming, car is skidding, accidents all over the place.. it was a very long 10 mile drive. The idea of moving to FL seemed very very good...

PoohBearLvr thanked irina_co
  • PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well i got a hot deep pink one, as promised....my pups will be the same, I assume, since it isn't a chimera, it is stable. So....maybe keep in touch:)

• irina_co
    5 years ago

You are dealing with a complex hybrid - not only Russkies mutate... and each litter of pups will have the palest one and the dakest one... and everything in-between. The closer we are to species... the less variation is probable... though happens. That's why we have all the variety... AV are not that stable.

So - do not assume anything... death and taxes are guaranteed... propagatng true from a leaf....there is hope.

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

'WHgillie' is that a 'Bob Serbin' violet in your pics?? I am posting pics of mine right now. IF that is one, yours is super!!!

• PoohBearLvr
    Original Author
    5 years ago

still spreading??? Other than the few buds on the 'Gee Pee', they are all open. Been open for weeks. Next step is they fade, i pick them off, and the next round of bloom stalks pop up and i have lots more flowers:) My other pics. i just posted of some of my other violets are very fresh, only open a few days. But they are fully open to.

• Rosie1949
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Elsa,,,,here I am!!!! Are you looking for me??? What plant are you talking about??? I am a little lost.
    Rosie

• Elsa
    5 years ago

Rosie,

How are you? We all miss you. I just want to ask where you received the "I wish I can live like that?