Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
staceyonion

window treatments advices...

Stacey Onion
5 years ago
I was planning on doing simple white curtains on both the big windows but what do I do with the little window on the side?

Comments (31)

• shadylady2u
    5 years ago

All the windows should look the same. So either hang the same curtains or a Roman shade in the exact same fabric and color.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

You're ahead of yourself. Get the room together first. Eliminate things that simply won't work. The 'vanity" has no place here. Lose the hanging light. Will there be a tv? Do you want a rug?

The two slip covered chairs, are fine. The demi lune under the window, add a lamp. Take out the old sea grass pottery barn chairs. Put the slip covered chairs .......catty corner fro one another.

You aren't ready for curtains yet : ) Show the entire space, and all we are not seeing......

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh sorry. This is the latest pic. The hanging lamp is def going. No tv for now, we have a family room
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Oh sorry. This is the latest pic. The hanging lamp is def going. No tv for now, we have a family room. Vanity is def going it’s just being stored there for the moment.
  • shadylady2u
    5 years ago

White curtains will look fine. You could also either match the walls or use the light blue in the rug. It looks ready for curtains to me. : )

Stacey Onion thanked shadylady2u
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    What if I did the full drapes on the big windows with the trim and the Roman shade on the small window? For sure a round ottoman. I love the white chairs but the other two not so much. Any suggestions for seating?
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

I would do the same window treatment on both windows. On the smaller window mount your panels so they come as far out on each side while still just having the inside lead cover the casing. This will make the window appear larger.

chairs....are you able to get two more of the white so you have a matched group? Have you considered a sofa? Until then try pulling the wicker seating closer together even sitting side by side facing the fireplace. They look sporadic now spread out like that.

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Some ideas

I think adding some spindle framed chairs to the space would be pretty. I would consider white fabric to match white chairs on wood frames or I actually love the idea of white frames with a blue fabric to match your walls. I can't find that exact combo here but this should give you the idea of style

Lind Island Lounge Chair · More Info

Modern Contemporary Urban Design Living Lounge Room Armchair, Navy Blue, Fabric · More Info

some other chair possibilities

Charlemagne Traditional French Accent Chair—Oak White · More Info

GDF Studio Hamilton Fabric Swivel Chair With Loose Cover, Sky Blue · More Info

Coffee table ideas

Josephine Round Tufted Bench Nailhead Accents Satin Teal · More Info

Sophia Fabric Ottoman With Round Espresso Finished Legs · More Info

Two of a fun print.

GDF Studio Alteri Finished Faux Wood Circular Coffee Table, Natural · More Info

Disc Shape Coffee Table, Metallic Silver Finish · More Info

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

Also Stacey I am wondering if we can get an overall floorpan of the room. Is it a long room with more than one set of French doors? Is the small window to the left of the fireplace? IS there more than one large window? One on front and back of home? If you were to do a quick sketch of room with window, door and fireplace loactions and even measurements I know you will get great advice on optimal furniture placement.

• PRO
    JAN MOYER
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

The first great money spend is to get a sofa. : ) Put the sofa under the window, and add linen roman shades to both windows. Or Light toned natural woven wood shades.. Move the two white chairs to the near end of the photo. Add a coffee table.......a chair side table for the two white chairs to share. Hold on the windows for now. You have total privacy.

Josephine Round Tufted Bench Nailhead Accents Satin Teal · More Info

Stacey Onion thanked JAN MOYER
  • felizlady
    5 years ago
    Much better “now” photo. You need the same window treatments on all windows. Start collecting some framed art. ART comes in many forms: actual paintings, reproduction paintings, prints, photo art, posters, wall hangings, wall sculpture. One large piece would hang over the fireplace, smaller pieces (at eye level to an average adult) on other walls or over furniture placed against the wall.
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Guessing based off pictures is this your basic layout Stacey? If so are you trying to fill the entire length of the room? Assuming vanity, work out gym, etc are going? What is the space going to be used for? Formal living room? Sitting room? Etc. If you are going to use the entire length of the room it looks long enough to have to separate seating areas. One with a sofa or even a backless sofa deviding The two spaces might be nice. With the doors opening into the room near the window sofa size will have to be just right to place one there. If you’re using the entire length of this room glaring one mid room might work better.

• shadylady2u
    5 years ago

From what I'm seeing is, she has two large windows, opposite each other, and a small window on the side. So either all three should have the same curtains, or the two large should have the same curtains and the small one could have a roman but in the same color and fabric.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That drawing is right. The french doors on the right side are double full size and the french doors to the left are smaller. This picture is the room on the other side of the bigger french doors. This room is our sitting room and way too small but my husband loves sitting there while I work in the kitchen. I am thinking of opening that wall up to create a large L shaped living space. Nothing too formal, we have a large family room off of the other side of the house but we spend all our time on this side of the house. The family room is really only used for watching TV at night. When we have company everybody squishes in this little room off of the kitchen.

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Shades

Faux Romans

• pink_peony
    5 years ago

So the kitchen is on the other side of the small sitting room? Back to the bigger room where you posed the original question.......what is the overall length of that room and are you using the entire space as one big room?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Yes the kitchen is on the other side of that room. I plan on using the new space as a living room but it can divided up into separate sitting areas. The gym will go.
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    The room is approx 22 x 14
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Your sitting room off the kitchen would make a nice eating area between there and the living room. I will be back later with some floor plan ideas for the living room. In and out today during a furniture project. I think you have a great space Stacey!

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you! I think that little room was the original dining area. We have a kitchen table in the kitchen so I don't think I would want to create another here. Also....my husband loves to sit there so I need to accommodate him!

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Currently set up for a birthday
  • Phoebe Sackett
    5 years ago
    Following
  • pink_peony
    5 years ago

Stacey here is a full room plan to consider. Incorporates two seating areas. Just an idea.

• PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    5 years ago

I LOVE the look of solid fabric with decorative trimmings.

(trim shown for example. SO MANY TO CHOOSE FROM)

Also using the trimming on a coordinating Roman shade. Kinda like this.

Stacey Onion thanked Gordon's Window Decor
  • Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Gordon, Can I buy curtains with this type of trim or do I have to have them made?

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m thinking of doing white drapes with some kind of navy trim in the sitting room with the fireplace. I was looking at the curtains in the room next-door which is a smaller sitting room. Do they work? Or should I get similar drapes to the ones that I’m going to put in the fireplace room? I’ve also included a picture of the drapes I have in my dining room which is adjacent to the small sitting room. They are cream with the trim down the side. Thoughts?
  • PRO
    Gordon's Window Decor
    5 years ago

There are both options available. You can go the custom route, picking everything out, fabric, size, trimming, placement of trim and so on. OR you can go with a 'standard' size Roman shade and then add the trim at a later time.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Ok so I just picked up this couch, which I LOVE, but it’s linen and a weave of white and cream. My question is...do I go with a white curtain or cream? I have bright white trim.
  • shadylady2u
    5 years ago

I'd want it to blend in with the couch more than the trim.

• Stacey Onion
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    I’m considering these three