0
karenr__sternberg

'Related Discussions' now inserted into the middle of the thread ?!

Karen S. (7b, NYC)
last modified: March 2, 2019

Are other folks seeing 'Related Discussions' now inserted into the middle of the threads (ACKKKKK)? Annoying, intrusive, distracting & irritating. [On a laptop using Chrome]

• Emily H

Thanks, Karen. I appreciate your feedback and will pass it on to the appropriate team!

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Emily H
  • Rebecca/N. IN/z6A

I get it too. Majorly annoying. AND I'm still having trouble typing a comment. Each word I type erases the one before it, or else it won't let me delete words. This comment i a fluke. I also use .

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Rebecca/N. IN/z6A
  • Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

@Emily H(9) you never replied to my many other requests/issues. What is a phone number or email address to get in touch with the "appropriate team"?

• Stefan

Yep , annoying....

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Stefan
  • Dave

Posting about issues doesn’t seem to do any good at all. This website is anniying in so many ways, but they don’t care because we still keep posting and using their site.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Emily,

Could something be done about cleaning up the FAQs and perhaps designating a few of us to edit them? We've asked this before, and so far, it's been lip service, if that.

Thank you,

Jeff

• zen_man

Hello Emily,

When using Chrome, as you recommend, I don't currently see a Related Discussions insertion into my ongoing message thread in Annuals. However, when using Firefox, I still see a Related Discussions insertion in that thread. It is now at a slightly different place in that thread. This is a current screen capture, processed as a JPG photo in Photoshop CS3. Click on this photo to see it better.

This new "feature" of Houzz is annoying and NOT HELPFUL, because those so-called Related Discussions aren't actually related in any way to breeding zinnias. If everyone used the latest version of the Chrome browser to read these message threads, that would be a non-issue. But the public usage of the Chrome browser, though high, is not 100%

Incidentally last week, when you were converting me to using the Chrome browser for Houzz, the Chrome browser was having a serious security problem. Fortunately I got the very latest version, in which that security problem had been addressed.

There are two problems with those Related Discussions. They are not wanted by many participants, and they are not "related" for those participants who would want them.

Namaste.

ZM

• petrushka

I get them in Edge , win 10. I am sure it's purposeful ad-like insertion. I just ignore them, but it's a new nuisance...and since they are 'not ads' can't block them...how clever!

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked petrushka
  • Rebecca/N. IN/z6A

Karen I meant to say "I also use Chrome". See? Today its letting me type comments. Sometimes too I erase a word & it keeps reappearing.

• Emily H

Hi there, when a feature like this is being tested, it is often not visible to all users on all sessions. I have passed on your feedback to the team working on this feature. They are continuing work on this to help make the related discussions more relevant to the discussions where you see them.

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
    Emily
    How do we get in contact with that team? This message board needs more than a tweak here and there, and new features lumped onto the existing issues isn't helping.
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)

Jeff (McHarris for those who don't know), pls. start a separate thread abt the FAQs. Perhaps more appropriate to put it at 'Using Houzz' forum. Important topic, worthy of its own thread.

Dave, maybe if you think hard, you could find something constructive to say. All you've got to share is complaint after complaint. Suggestions for positive change might be helpful & are welcome.

Zen Man: I'm talking abt technical issues: content & its desirability or lack thereof are completely different issues. You really do need your own thread abt this.

Tree Geek, if you hadn't burst in full of bluster abt buying the place, you might have gotten a different response. I got a response here w/ Emily & also privately as someone else w/ Houzz support saw it & EMailed me offering help. Have you ever tried to respond thru the avenues Emily suggested like Houzz Support?

• Dave

Karen, kind of hypocritical to call me out for complaining in a thread in which you are also complaining.

I first tried being constructive in past posts. It did nothing.

Ive had one complaint: fix the coding. Which encompasses the issues I deal with. Not complaint after complaint as you say.

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

Karen,

You do you, i'll do me.

The site's code is atrocious and the staff ignoring it isn't helping. These aren't subtle nuances we are talking about, it requires a full revamp of the site and the code its built on. As you can see, they are testing new revenue generating features, not fixing the underlying issues we have mentioned for years....literally years.

Sometimes the best way to rebuild is blowing it up and starting over.

Emily has no interest in helping this site, if she did she and others would be replying publicly and emphatically. She sent you a message, great! What exactly are you solving with this behind the scenes team?

Emily, how do I connect with you privately? If not you, who is the best person to message? What's the best number to call. The toll free number leads to sales associates who have not a clue a message board exists and less of a clue who to put me in touch with about it

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Tree, I'd guess Emily might be a little loathe to interact with you based on your tone.

In one paragraph you post ' Emily has no interest in helping this site, if she did she and others would be replying publicly and emphatically. '

In the next paragraph, you ask ' Emily, how do I connect with you privately? '.

If I were Emily, I'd be extremely hesitant about interacting with you at all, never mind privately.

You're not respectful, yet you consistently ask for respectful treatment. How is that attitude going to work for you?

This increasingly strident, demanding 'mission' that you're on is one that appears to me to be self-defeating. Please stop. I know you care, but the way you're going about it is just plain wrong.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5
  • Emily H

Hi Treegeek, We are not able to put you directly in touch with our teams here. Your best bet is to submit a ticket through help.houzz.com. You can feel free to mention that I directed you there and ask that your ticket be assigned to me.

The Houzz site is updated frequently, and adjustments are made across the site to (hopefully) improve the experience for everyone. There are sometimes tests that you may or may not experience as well. If you would like to provide feedback, that is always welcome.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Emily H
  • Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

Cactus - Thanks for the insight., Don't confuse passion with ignorance. Directness isn't for everyone, especially in this day and age.

This (plants) is a hobby for me, I Like to learn. I've hung up my chainsaws, and let all of my Certifications lapse. I am still in the industry, and still passionate, but I no longer profit from the greenspace. So how do I give back and help make any community I am in a better place for all? Volunteering and speaking up on subjects that matter. When I see opportunities for improvement I have a hard time ignoring them.

Not sure if you have followed the multiple threads concerning this message board platform, but you should. I am not the only one frustrated by the reluctance for change and being ignored by Houzz staff when asked direct questions.

And yes, I am still 100% interested in purchasing Gardenweb is its for sale. Simply to put it on proper Forum software, create moderators and allow several members here to run it and make it the best it can be without money and advertisers being a concern.

"And yes, I am still 100% interested in purchasing Gardenweb is its for sale. Simply to put it on proper Forum software, create moderators and allow several members here to run it and make it the best it can be without money and advertisers being a concern."

You must have some majorly large trust fund or other source of substantial cash readily at hand!! Not only would the website run you multiple (hundreds?) millions to acquire (based on previous disclosed sales data) but running it costs a bundle as well........money is always a concern. These things don't run themselves for free!

All in all, that is one of the sillier propositions about this website I have heard!!

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

You're confusing this message board with Houzz as a company. Two entirely different things.

• Stefan

If you do, please try not to turn it into that cesspool cactiguide....

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
    My only interest is taking this awesome house, with so many fun people at the table, and getting it on a solid foundation.

Hopefully Houzz is willing to admit they took a misstep with tier coding, and they too see the value in fixing it.

Otherwise we spend a couple hundred dollars on forums software, a few grand on a developer to transfer it all over, and then band together as a community and run it cleanly. See? It doesn't cost millions, or even hundreds of thousand... It's literally a $5k process max. How do I know? I've been part of integration and advsiroy teams for stuff like this in the past. :)

This is a place to share information, learn and conversate a little too. I'm here to learn personally. The current state this message board is in makes that difficult for me and others.

"You're confusing this message board with Houzz as a company."

No, I am not! The last disclosed purchase price of the GardenWeb forums website only was multiple millions and that was back in 2006!! I'm sure Houzz coughed out as much.

$5K max???? Lol!! You are smoking some serious stuff!!

"This is a place to share information, learn and conversate a little too. I'm here to learn personally. The current state this message board is in makes that difficult for me and others."

Well, it doesn't seem to be too complicated or awkward for most of us :-) Otherwise there wouldn't be several thousand new postings every day!!

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)

Then again, no one is forcing you to stay here, if you find it so unpleasant ...

You can conversate all you want, I'm happy to converse.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Conversate - Kamloops-area kitty approves of non-standard verbs!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Perhaps they could put lynx to related topics?

tj

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)
    It's a word and was used properly. I appreciate the banter surrounding it though.
  • tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)

Treegeek: Your expectation of how much GW will cost and how much it will take to redo everything from scratch is way off. The value of GW is in its user base and the many millions of postings. No one is going to hand over all that data for cheap. I would consider a million dollar to be dirt cheap for that data. Second, you under estimate the effort required to transfer all that data to a new system by a big margin. Even after transferring one will need at least one full time equivalent engineer to maintain, test, backup, develop on an ongoing basis. Not to mention one will also need several beefy cloud based servers with extremely good, fast and reliable internet connection with fail-over provisions.

I am a tech designer and developer. In my free time I am creating a new forum for our local bonsai club - we do not have any. So it is from scratch with no historical baggage and even then it takes inordinate amount of time just to make sure it works.

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked tropicofcancer (6b SW-PA)
  • Barb in Eastern North Carolina, zone 8

How about instead of buying Houzz you just start a wole new C&S forum? I hear there are free ones, like ProBoards. I bet others here would happily join. Houzz sure has problems now. JMO

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Barb in Eastern North Carolina, zone 8
  • cpartist

Get rid of it. It's annoying as anything. If you insist on keeping it, at least put it at the bottom of the thread and not in the middle. Why do you keep on insisting on making houzz worse with stupid stuff that no one wants?

• Emily H

Hi there, Just want to let you know that I've spoken to the team about this and they are working on ways to make this better and less disruptive. I'll let you know when I have specifics to share!

Karen S. (7b, NYC) thanked Emily H
  • Karen S. (7b, NYC)

Thx for trying Emily, perhaps a compromise for now would be to put it at the END of the thread, where I seem to recall it had been, other than down the right side which was OK w/ me & actually FAR preferable, now that I think of it.

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

Emily,

I went on the goose chase you suggested, as anticipated its a bot answered service. Cute.

How about speaking with the team and fixing the issues on the mobile platforms and app? And the desktop issues, tat have been mentioned for years? It would make this entire platform that is hodge podged together more useful for all involved.

• Treegeek Z6a (Boston)

Barb,

Never mentioned buying Houzz, not sure where that keeps coming up from?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Karen,

I sent Emily, per your request, a post requesting cleanup about the FAQ, among other tweaks there. I tagged it with 'Using Houzz (grrrrr)', C&S and Houseplants. I don't see that post anywhere. Does it get edited when it goes there? Is it lost in the ethernet?

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Barb,

Treegeek offered to buy only the GardenWeb portion of House, not the whole kit and kaboodle.

Karen,

Created another question about cleaning up the FAQs, submitted it under the same three Forum tags, and still nothing visible. I'm thinking it's gone to purgatory.

Yes, I did mean GardenWeb, not Houzz. I did go back and see where he said that. Sorry Treegeek.

• Karen S. (7b, NYC)

Give it a couple of days pls Jeff. My original post took 3 days to actually appear, I'd kept a copy just in case. So I added to someone else's thread while mine was MIA, then it appeared on its own 3 days later.

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Gave it five days - not displayed. Just created still another message (much simplified) asking for FAQ cleanup. It doesn't display at all, either.

Emily, is this 'Using House' forum only for certain people, but not for others?

• Emily H

Hi Cactus - No, this is for everyone! I didn't see your post. I'll go look through and see if it was somehow caught in our filter accidentally.

I agree that our FAQ sections need some clean up after the addition of multiple topics on threads. I'll speak to our product team about this and see what we can do to prevent this issue moving forward as well as how we can clean up what is there now. I appreciate you bringing it up!

• cactusmcharris, interior BC Z4/5

Emily, I didn't want to nag (too much), but please delete the first and the last - the second one is the keeper. And thanks for the response.

Jeff