0
wgmccarthy99

Indoor wooden planters

Warren McCarthy

I'm making some small wooden succulent planters that I wanted to use for the indoors, but I wanted to know if I would end up having problems with the wood molding/rotting. The planters I made are from red gum eucalyptus so it is more rot resitant than regular wood, but I'm wondering if there is anything I can treat the inside of the planter with that won't hurt the plant. I was thinking maybe some walnut oil but let me know if there is anything else that would work.

tapla

Try: https://www.google.com/search?client=ubuntu&channel=fs&q=wood+waterproofing+safe+for+plants&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I know root exudates and leaf litter of eucalyptus are allelopathic (toxic) to a wide range of plants. I don't know if the wood is, or if the allelopathic effects are diminished as volatility of the causal compounds decreases with time as the wood dries down. Just a thought.

Al

• SoCal Stewart (San Diego, Ca Zone 10A/10B)

i recall reading that, too. My understanding is that it is a way to keep down competition so that no other plants can grow near it.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Can you find pots that will fit into the wooden blocks and use them as cache pots?

• Warren McCarthy

Floral- I would really like to be able to find something, but the hole is already only 1 1/2 inch. I got a very small leaf sedum that I wanted to grow in them becasue the guy at the nursery said they would do fine in a small hole like that. I've thought of making my own ittle pot for them though somehow.

Al- Thank you very much for that bit of information. I might just try it anyways and see how it works, or just go with Floral's idea on putting a pot inside the block.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

I didn't realise they were so small. What about cutting up the plastic inserts from some sort of packaging? Cut up an ice cube tray? Bottle tops? Make your own from modelling clay?