0
ascsue

Thinking of spring! need help on colors of flowers to compliment new

Sue Brown
Hi all
We changed the exterior paint color after completing our addition. I buy tons of baskets and annuals each spring. What colors do you think would go with the reddish, dark brown, cream colors of the house?
We live in far west Chicago suburb

• junco East Georgia zone 8a

I would avoid pink and red. Yellow and purple would really pop. White would be more subtle. Have fun!

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Calls for the blue, purple, and orange color families in my opinion. Splashes of bright white.

Very gorgeous home, by the way.

• Embothrium

White, as already shown by the white trim. And silver foliage, like you already have left of the steps.

• Sue Brown
    Thanks for the kind comments. These pictures were taken late last summer. I think you all are right. Blues, purples, whites. Green. -3 here this morning in March. Dying for spring!
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri

My house is a darkish brown cedar. I have planted yellow perennials (Day lilies and coreopsis) and then add pots of bright white annuals, sometimes highlighted with purple or blue.

The yellow is really eye catching against my dark brown house.

In the back, I have several patches of silver artemesia - I see you have something similar.

• Sue Brown
    Any suggestions for which annuals and perennials I should choose in blue family?
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri

You and I are in similar planting zones so here’s some of what I have in blue: perennials - sunny border blue Veronica, Russian sage, nanho blue butterfly bush, royal purple smoke bush, jackmanii blue clematis, juniper blue star; and for annual pots my go-to’s are petunias, pansies and small silver grasses, maybe blue fescue.

I’ve recently gotten into hydrangeas - Endless Summer blooms blue and Limelight blooms green/white. I also have lots of hostas, especially green-and-white and yellows/golds.

Oh! And big fat plain white geraniums for big pots.

• Sue Brown
    Great ideas. Thanks so much! Now to figure out how to print this list!
  • rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

My all time favorite blue flowering plant is Angelonia...pest free, sun tolerant, low water requirement, no dead heading, hummingbird plant. They can be a traffic stopper.

Dig Doug's Designs

Great blue perennials: Leadwort, Million Dollar Blue Delphinium, Blue Agastache, Stokes Aster, Blue Daze (annual)