Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_smith6287

Having a heck of a time choosing area rugs!

Jennifer Smith
5 years ago

I have spent hours and hours and hours poring through websites trying to choose area rugs for our small open living room/dining room. At this point I am utterly discouraged I could just really use some input and advice!

The photo is the fabric for the two accent chairs we ordered. At this point I am wishing I had stuck with solid colored furniture, because it feels like these chairs are super limiting what I can do with rugs. It is also a small space, and I feel like that factors in. Maybe in a huge room you could get away with mixing patterns more, but in our small home I feel like I need to be more neutral and understated (even though that feels so boring to me!).

Would you do a patterned rug with these chairs? Or should I play it safe and go with two matching solid rugs (living room and dining room)?

Here are some rugs I have considered:

Comments (35)

• everdebz
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Could use a 1-color accent - do you have a favorite in the house?

If not so much use of color, you could have sheen and shine of metal finishes, etc. // as though your chair is actually from Ikea, and make that a direction:

Versanora Arquer Arc Floor Lamp, 66.93", Silver Shade and White Marble Base · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/versanora-arquer-arc-floor-lamp-6693-white-shade-and-white-marble-base-prvw-vr~51969727

• everdebz
    5 years ago

If floors are warm, wood.... another sketchy pattern, and different than a floral:

Imax Glass Charger With Black Finish 83284 · More Info

Safavieh Natural Fiber Nf448A Solid Color Rug, Grey/Grey, 5'0"x8'0" · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-natural-fiber-nf448a-solid-color-rug-grey-grey-50x80-prvw-vr~75979953[(https://www.houzz.com/products/safavieh-natural-fiber-nf448a-solid-color-rug-grey-grey-50x80-prvw-vr~75979953)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago

without seeing the room or the furniture in it, it's all a guess.

but here are some that would work w/your fabric

• Sam Gorson
    5 years ago
    Search on Houzz for graphic black and gray rugs. There are many that would work, to my eye. Add color, if you want it, in sofa, art, pillows, or lamp. I like the fabric you’ve chosen.
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

It matters what style your chair is -- simple lines? would be nice if it had a grey or black wood frame to tie in with rug --

Analog Gray, Rug, 7'10"x9'10" · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/analog-gray-rug-710x910-prvw-vr~101848547[(https://www.houzz.com/products/analog-gray-rug-710x910-prvw-vr~101848547)

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to actually search out rugs and include photos! I love your suggestions.

We are totally starting from scratch. We just sheet rocked the room, painted the walls in the living room area blue-grey and the dining room a very light blue. The floors are refinished dark oak. We don't have furniture yet... but it is ordered. Grey sofa and the aforementioned chairs. Sofa and chair legs are dark wood. We did just find a dining room table on craigslist - dark wood as well, but the upholstery on the chairs is tan/gold (unfortunately).

So at this point, I am trying to build a design from the ground up, and pretty much basing it on those chairs. Everdebz, I love the idea of incorporating "sheen and shine of metal" to add interest to the room, even if I end up with very neutral rugs. As an accent color I'm in love with aqua and hoping to have pops of that around, maybe in a throw or side table.

I like the natural weave solids posted above. Maybe that is a direction to go with this... two matching rugs that don't compete, and then make other aspects of the room interesting with color and texture.

This is so hard. It is such a huge investment to make only to get it all in the room and hate it. (That seems how it usually goes for me!)

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Here is the chair style that we ordered. Legs are dark wood, not black as pictured.

• mandy_redworth
    5 years ago

Hi Jennifer - I like the rugs you chose, very pretty. I love the first rug but I think the second one would look better but to me they look a little too blue but that could just be my screen, There is a rug that I’ve been drooling over (affordable too) that I think would look great with your chairs. I also think a crushed velvety look would be pretty too. Here are some options..

my drool rug...i wish i had space for it!

Crushed velvety look

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Is chair fabric a thinner cotton, or somewhat thicker?

I like a very mixed neutral, sort of heathered. DR - is it very open to LR? With wood floor, even dark, it might be more interesting to layer a bit of warmth in rug [like wood floor].

Couristan 14070009710109T 7'10"x10'9" Hinsdale Contemporary Area Rug · More Info

[https://www.houzz.com/products/couristan-cape-area-rug-light-brown-silver-710x109-prvw-vr~78382528[(https://www.houzz.com/products/couristan-cape-area-rug-light-brown-silver-710x109-prvw-vr~78382528)

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Maybe for slight and neutral warmth - linen curtains, or a natural sort of color - with:

Safavieh Adirondack Collection ADR113 Rug, Ivory/Silver, 8'x10' · More Info

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Maybe they call the leaves a stylized design, and I don't like the rugs you chose, sorry. The rug could have a similar sketched look, as houzzers have posted. Not formal or dressy imo.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

m.r., I wasn't posting about your post, not at all.

The fabric matters - if elegant velvet [which photo doesn't seem idk] that's one thing, and if linen/casual, then that's another.

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Now I'm looking at what I posted and thinking... too much blue.
  • mandy_redworth
    5 years ago

I think they look beautiful! Good choices, very classy!

• mandy_redworth
    5 years ago

sorry everdebz, really - i deleted my post bc i was tired and being an idiot!

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

I think the key to selecting an area rug is to select a simple strong pattern or solid rug so that it doesn't compete with the fabric pattern.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Hey Mandy, I appreciate that...

You painted LR blue-grey - is it fairly soft?

and DR is light blue.

I like your blue rugs, and so I ask if you have plenty of lighting.

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    beverlyfladesigner... I love the second option you posted, the solid textured navy. Any idea where you found that?

everdebz- grey walls are soft, not too dark. Lots of windows in both rooms, so I think we are good on the lighting, but our floors are dark. I would go with a light grey rug in the DR except that our DR chairs have a tan-gold upholstery... afraid it would be clashy. But maybe I should forget about the chairs, go with a light grey rug, and make it a goal to replace them sometime down the road.

Maybe we can get some construction mess out of the rooms so I can take a photo soon!
  • PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    5 years ago

Jennifer, I believe that the second rug was a black jute boucle' rug. West Elm used to carry them. Not sure who might have them currently.

• RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Maybe I’m throwing a rock into a crowd here but have you considered changing the seat fabric instead of torturing yourself around 2 rug choices? If your chairs had a solid fabric, you could have more options to match 2 rugs that are near each other.
  • Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

RedRyder - yup, definitely considered that. But the furniture store made it clear that once order is placed and in production it is "very difficult" to make a change. And our order was placed 3 weeks ago, so I think we're out of luck.

So after probably 40 hours of online rug shopping, this is what I ended up ordering:

The two small squares under the leaf print are the accent pillows (middle) and sofa fabric (bottom).

I ended up finding these at Home Depot online, so the good news is that if we hate them we can return them easily, rather than having to package them back up somehow and ship them.

I think I just won't know until I see it all in the room.

I sure do appreciate everyone's input and steering me away from the oriental prints I was drawn to initially.

Hopefully I'll have some good news follow-up pics in a month or so!

• PRO
    Toronto Designers
    5 years ago

Seems like you really like your blues, so I would go for an overdyed rug, similar to this one, and the design will be classic with those chairs' style, at the same time as being trendy and traditional. It's the perfect mix. These overdyed rugs come in many different colours and are available at many stores, including Ikea these days! Good luck with the whole look of the space!! By the way, gold is coming back and is really nice with blues and navies, so consider mixing that all up for what is becoming the new trend again!... I mean if you love it. You have to first love it of course.

• judy1740
    5 years ago
    I like the black and white one that Beth posted but wonder what the rug is covering and size of the room.
  • RedRyder
    5 years ago
    Jennifer, I like what you chose. Once it’s all together, take a photo. Just keep tags on everything just in case some Houzzers have new ideas. I understand the dilemma of ordering early and then wishing you hadn’t....
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

How is it?

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I cancelled the order (third order I have placed and subsequently cancelled). Last Saturday I went shopping locally. I went to a carpet store with samples of our furniture upholstery which made it so much easier than trying to choose based on pictures online. I ordered a 10x10 piece of carpet to have bound, and then found a rug for the dining room at another store. I can't wait to see it all come together. I feel really good about all of our choices.

• PegLee Roberts
    5 years ago
    Separate but color matching rugs -what about striped?-but drm maybe round to give oomph?
  • everdebz
    5 years ago

Yeah! Neither pattern seems so prominent or large... neutral. I think they call the leafy "stylized" and not an "era" but softness.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

I glanced above and saw you might add sheen... Idk, but I'll post simple lamp cause it's interesting to me. Could 'toughen up' [or roughen] the leafy fabric just a bit.

Dimond Lighting D2239 Table Lamp · More Info

https://www.houzz.com/products/dimond-lighting-d2239-table-lamp-prvw-vr~10551597

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally! Rugs and furniture are here and in place! I am so totally happy with the end result. Now the fun part begins... accessories! Thanks again to all who provided input as I wrestled through the great rig dilemma. Your advice was a huge help.

• everdebz
    5 years ago

Nice.. I like the swoop arm style... what area, what part most needs 'something'?

• Jennifer Smith
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    Walls, side tables, lamps, shelves, books... we are starting over completely in this space. We are also broke after buying the furniture, lol, so I will be taking the process slowly, but I'm really excited!
  • ilesliemy
    5 years ago
    Love everything except the walls. They seem really dark.
Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer