0
picnichome

Small garden area needs makeover

picnichome
last modified: March 4, 2019

Try to ignore the clutter, it is temporary!

We have this mulched garden space enclosed between the garage, front porch, and concrete sidewalk.

To be honest the huge Azalea bush looks pretty cool for about 3 weeks in the spring but that's about it. The flowers - tulips and something else (I forget) can be pretty, but are misplaced and bunched together. Finally, the evergreen bush is too large and bulky, and is getting to be out of place.

I've been going back and forth on what to do with this space for awhile, and how to make it more friendly and enjoyable. Some things I've thought about:

1) Clear the whole thing and lay down stone, make it some kind of patio, with a bench or table in the center, surrounded by potted plants.

2) Clear the existing plantings and replant all new. Maybe focus on plants that attract birds, butterflies, and other such cool things so you can be greeted by them as you walk up to the door.

3) Repurpose it for planting of herbs (we don't have a dedicated space for this now).

Do you have any ideas on this? Thanks for your insight!

• Christopher C Nc

Nice rock. I like it a lot.

This does not look like a space for a patio with tables and chairs that people will actually use. What I can see of the railing for the front steps and porch make using it for that purpose even less likely. A patio should be on one level with the front door to make sense from what I am seeing here.

I'm not seeing an herb garden by the front door either. If this area is facing due south and depending on what you do, it may to possible to incorporate some herbs like rosemary and lavender into a new planting.

What I do see is a simple Zen themed garden that greets you and visitors with a calming peaceful vignette. Think of this space as one thing like a painting or a sculpture. The object is to create an evocative scene. That can go in all kinds of directions.

Here is one scene: Remove the big square shrub on the right by the steps. Keep the azalea in place. Plant the entire bed with a groundcover of liriope. That may be a clump of it by the leg of the bench. Roll the dinosaur egg forward. Transplant the sedum, plant in right front of picture, so it is the back drop for the egg, You could do a drift of gravel as flooring instead of solid liriope to add more interest.

If you are far enough south you could throw in a Zen twist by planting some bulbs like rain lily - zephyranthes, oxblood lily - Rhodophiala, right in the liriope. They will be surprise blooms over the summer to early fall.

In essence keep it simple, calm and sculptural.

Since I have not see anything else about your house, this idea might not fit in to the bigger picture. In the tiny snapshot shown, it is a concept to explore.

• picnichome

Interesting perspective and you may be right on with a seating area being out of place. I would agree it should ideally be an inviting and warm scene. I will find some time to google for those plants and put together a concept. Thanks!

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    I think a picture showing your house and front yard would really help to give a better idea on styles, planting, etc.
  • littlebug zone 5 Missouri

Back up and take another picture. I can’t get a sense of what’s what here. Maybe take the picture from the street so we can see at least half the house and how the bed relates to it, the driveway, and the sidewalk.