0
jessicaolivera49

Furnish living room and dining room

jessicaolivera49

HELP!!!We just moved into this cute 1300 sq foot home. I'm asking for your help and advise for furniture, dining room and decor ideas. I got rid of all my old furniture and looking to start fresh!! Its just my husband, 4 year old and me. I'm not looking to spend a ton of money. Thank you all in advance:)

• jessicaolivera49

I'm digging the longford dining chairs. I would llove to pair it with a round dining table.

I would LOVE to go with white, but

I dont think I'm brave enough. I'd be having to wash them everyday. My 4 year old and dog are not the tidiest LOL!!!

I do love the aqua with yellow. Do you think maybe a gray sofa will look nice?

• pink_peony

Yes a gray sofa would work. The biggest issue you’re going to have with gray is getting it to look great withthe carpeting which On my screen looks peachy? I would be remiss if i didn’t ask how much of an investment are you making here? You got rid of all your old furniture ......are you wanting Furniture that will just work as long as you’re in the rental? A year ? Two? Etc. Or are you planning on investing in furniture for the long haul?

• jessicaolivera49

The carpet is a cream color. Since all got rid if all my previous furniture, I'm looking for something that will last well over a year and you can coordinate with other colors in the future

• jessicaolivera49

I know I said no sectional but this one keeps calling my name LOL!!!

I would like to add some accent

• groveraxle

Do not, I repeat, do NOT, buy a living room set. Unless you want your space to be boring and look like a furniture showroom, that is.

• jessicaolivera49
    Yes, I know made that mistake in the past.
    I'm not interested in the sets, Just an idea for sofa and love seats that I've been looking at
  • groveraxle

Also, since you seem to be looking at budget furniture, look at Ikea. For the price, their sofas will be much better quality and look better for longer than anyone else's.

• pink_peony

I agree with Ikea. The one you pictured are not a farm house style 1. 2. They have a box store style . You would be better going with Ikeas Ektorp or their slope arm one here. This one pictures is comfortable and deep and probably their most expensive looking one IMO based on style alone.

Where is your TV going? Let’s decide that and then we can help you with layout. Idealy above fireplace? Float sofa facing that with a sofa table behind it and then bring in some occasional chairs for seating with a nice coffee table. Do you have an Ikea near you? You can also pick up some great looking linen like drapery panels to flank you windows with.

Glo European Windows & Doors

Have you checked out Sixpenny furniture? Their sofas are gorgeous with a hint of the style you're going for. Plus, they're down filled.

Neva Sofa

• jessicaolivera49
    Kulrn, ok so I'm going to go with that sofa. That's exactly what I was looking for and fair price too. Thank you
    The tv will be placed above the chimney.
  • pink_peony

Here are some pillow ideas that will help you incorporate the yellow, gray and aqua discusseD.

Cotton Slub Textured Accent Pillow, Yellow Finish 22"x22" · More Info

Luxury Floral Pool 16.5" Throw Pillow, Aqua/Gray/Yellow · More Info

Society6 Mustard Yellow Mod, Throw Pillow, Indoor Cover, 18"x18", Pillow Insert · More Info

Huberta Floral Pillow, Yellow Blue, 18"x18" · More Info

• jessicaolivera49
    I have a pair of slipper chairs with the same design as the 3rd pillow. Shall I buy both the sofa and loveseat and incorporate the slipper chairs?
  • pink_peony

Can you share a picture of the chairs Jessica?

• jessicaolivera49

I also pulled a rug I was going to donate, and this yellow cabinet. Thoughts?

• groveraxle

Slipper chairs are not comfortable for the living room. You really need chairs with arms. The yellow cabinet is cute. I think the rug may be too small and it also looks a bit too cool against that carpet.

• pink_peony

I think the chairs will work for accent chairs and additional seating when guests are around. If you do a love seat and sofa as your main seating I think those would work scale wise with the Ektorp and not block doorways. I think the rug is nice but it is fighting with the carpet color on my screen. The cabinet is cheery.

• jessicaolivera49
    Ok, rug will go in the donation pile Sofa and love seat it is.

How about dining table? I'm not looking to spend over 500 on a set, since the sofa and love seat will be a little over a grand.
    I do have 2 chairs that I was using I'll attach a picture in the comments.
  • sushipup1

Chairs look uncomfortable.

• kulrn

You could check your local craigslist or similar for a table or set. May be the angle, but those chairs look like bar stools. They are nice, uncomfortable or not :-)

• Laura Villar

following

• groveraxle

No loveseat. Get two armchairs instead. People don't like to share loveseats unless they're actual lovers, so chairs will be more useful and versatile.

• groveraxle

Those chairs do look more like counter or bar stools. That said, most of those Tolix-style chairs are actually reasonably comfortable. But if they're counter or bar height, they won't work unless you get a pub table which I don't recommend.

Check Ikea for tables and chairs.

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie

I like the ektorp sofa, and the slipcovers can be replaced down the line, if you move or change up color schemes.
    While you're at IKEA, take a look at their Ingatorp dining table. 43" diameter, with a leaf that hides away to expand seating when you have guests.

• jessicaolivera49
    IKEA order was already placed yesterday afternoon for the sofa and love seat. I didn't bother going into the store, since it's a distance away and I'm busy unpacking and organizing. Just paid extra for shipping. They should arrive on the March 14th.

I did find an inspirational table on Instagram
    I will post it in the comments. And it's from Walmart the chairs included are pricey so I'll have to look for alternative ones.

As far as the counter stools I'm using them temporarily as pictured below.
  • jessicaolivera49

I know they're too low, but they've been working to eat comfortably Lol

• jessicaolivera49

Thoughts??
    I really like this dining table.
    The table is from walmart and the chairs are from world market (too expensive for me)

• jessicaolivera49

Thoughts on new rug? Since my rug went in the donation pile.

• pink_peony

My thoughts are you are really quick to throw things out that may work elsewhere for you. Just something to think about since you are on a limited budget. I understand your anxiousness to get things done but i think you need to step back and slow down before you get rid of things that need to be replaced which equals more money that you could be putting towards other things. As far as the table and chairs ...... which can’t you afford? Did you look at IKEA as others suggested? They sell wicker chairs very similar to those and great round tables. Also if you are interested in World Market i would going their shopping club. It’s free. They send out great coupons weekly for savings. The metal chairs. Somehow I’m lost on if they are bar stools or dining chairs? You only have two? I assume you need four dining chairs?

• groveraxle

Since you're on a budget, skip the area rug. You have carpet, so you don't need it. And if you do a rug in the future, look for one that won't disappear into the carpet underneath.

I agree with pink. You need to slow down. I see you already ordered the loveseat. I hope you don't regret it.

• jessicaolivera49
    I do admit I have been under lots of stress and anxiety lately When I say donation pile, I mean a pile in the garage that will eventually will be picked up by a donation truck.

The round table posted is within price range, it's the wicker chairs that are too pricey. As I mentioned before I don't want to spend more than 500 on a dining table and chairs.

The counter height chairs pictured, I've just been using as back up to have somewhere to sit and eat.

I'm open to suggestions as you all been helping me tons. It's appreciated!!
  • pink_peony

Deep breaths ;-). Sometimes with a tight budget buying a table and chairs as a set ends up being less pricey. These are all on Way fair.

This one might be fun with the aqua to tie into your color story.

• pink_peony

Oops last two didn’t post

• groveraxle

Jessica, exactly which sofa and loveseat did you order and in what colors?

• jessicaolivera49
    Groveraxle, I purchased the Ektorp sofa and love seat in gray.
  • groveraxle

OK, thanks.

• jessicaolivera49

So I went on Wayfair and saw a few i like.
    I'm just not sure which one will go more with my sofas I purchased.

Pink, I really, really like the agua table. That's on my top 5. LOL

• jessicaolivera49

What are your thoughts on buying a 3 piece dining set and adding the slippers chairs to the set? Just a wild thought

• pink_peony

The slipper chairs as in the print armless chairs you have ? Those are too low to be used as dining chairs.

• kulrn

If you have a rooms- to- go near you, they have better prices on sets too.

• jessicaolivera49

I got them!!!
    Now for the placement. I just got home from work. IKEA just placed them like that.

• pink_peony

Place the longer sofa facing the TV. It makes the most sense for viewing the TV. I would place a console behind the sofa with its back to what i assume is the entrance. Place the two slipper chairs side by side where the sofa is in front of the window .

• groveraxle

Your last arrangement is right. Looks like the loveseat could shift a bit closer to the sofa. Can you watch the TV from there without killing your neck?

• leslieap10

If you live in a decent size metro area, CRAIGSLIST! and patience :)