Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jen_7_5_1

What's wrong with my Oncidiums

Jen (Pennsylvania, 7a)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I have 2 rescue Oncidiums. The first one I have had about 8 months (all the pictures except the last one are of the 1st Onc.)

Problem one: the ragged leaves. It has had these ragged leaves since I got it and the raggedness does not seem to spreading. I have always attributed the raggedness to a moisture problem before I got the plant as the bulbs were shriveled and some of the leaves had accordion-ed.

Problem 2: (also with the 1st Onc) is the little black spots. They are new, can been seen from both sides of the leaf, do not appear to be spreading very rapidly and are about the size of a pencil eraser or smaller. There are maybe 4 spots total on the whole plant.

Onc. #2 is the last photo and is a new addition for me. Those little black dots are driving me nuts. I don't know what they are but they are not raised nor are they dimpled. They can only bee seen from the underside of the leaf, they can not be removed (they are not scale) and they are only on some leaves, most of the leaves do not have this spotting.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Comments (3)

• shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
    5 years ago

You will not be able to make much of a change to the old leaves. Nonetheless they are valuable and will add to the support of the new growth, roots, and flowers. Eventually they will die of old age and your plant will take on a healthier look in time. Most of it looks like some sort of trauma. The only one I am not sure of is the last pic. Keep that plant separated and see if the new leaves get the same. If so throw it out. Put it outside in a good location when the low is 50 or higher.

Jen (Pennsylvania, 7a) thanked shavedmonkey (Harvey in South Fl.)Z10b
  • arthurm2015
    5 years ago

The larger black spots are scar tissue from Fungus. The pinprick black spots are controversial, cause unknown, and damage to the plant unknown, strange that it only seems to occur on Oncidiums.

Jen (Pennsylvania, 7a) thanked arthurm2015
  • Florida_Joe's_Z10a
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I've bought many oncidiums that had those tiny black spots/freckles all over. I think it has to do with too high humidity in the green house they were grown in. Any new growth produced from them under my care is always free of the freckles.

Jen (Pennsylvania, 7a) thanked Florida_Joe's_Z10a
Sponsored
Custom Home Works
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
Franklin County's Award-Winning Design, Build and Remodeling Expert