Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alyssamkidd

Advice on updating curb appeal to distract from garage

Alyssa Kidd
5 years ago

We purchased a fixer upper a few months ago and are trying to decide how we can update the curb appeal to distract from the garage. The garage is the first thing you see when you pull up. Any suggestions?

Comments (14)

• PRO
    Beth H. :
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

paint it a darker tone. pull one from the brick. (your picture is blurry so it's hard to see the actual colors)

then paint your front door a lighter color

this type of door would fit the style better (but in a darker color) notice the carriage hardware and lights.

• Jen K (7b, 8a)
    5 years ago
    I would: Remove the palmetto palm tree to reveal the window and door.

If allowed (if you have an HOA), paint the door to draw the eye away from the garage.

Plant vertical shrubs on either side of the window (to the side section).

plant color... color color in the front bed and under the window. maybe a table or rockers in front of the main window.

provide you planting zone and house orientation so others can help select the right plants.
  • houssaon
    5 years ago

How about an arbor?

This is one instance where shutters would look good.

• calidesign
    5 years ago

I would paint the garage a darker tone - maybe the same color as the roof. Then paint the front door a deep red. Remove the small patch of grass between the house and walkway and add a variety of interesting plants there instead. I would also add shutters to your windows (same new color as the garage). The windows look too small for the space.

• NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    5 years ago

- Widen the walkway to at least 6’ wide so it pulls attention toward the entry.

- Remove some of the overgrown plantings near the door that add to the shadowy feel.

- Plant something bright but low-growing between the walk and the garage, about where the walkway turns. This will get rid of the need to mow grass in there and help pull a visitor’s eye toward the door.

• Alyssa Kidd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thank you for the ideas! Yes, we have an HOA but as long as we stay within "natural" colors, we are good. Our roof is brown so you would suggest painting the garage door and shutters brown?

We live in central Florida - Zone 9 for planting options.

Here is a close up of our front door for brick colors.

• Molly D. Zone4B
    5 years ago

What is existing house color? Can’t tell

• decoenthusiaste
    5 years ago

Of course, you can't eliminate the garage, but I was reminded of this transformation from Joanna Gaines. You might incorporate lighting, as shown here. Maybe a change of landscaping would help. I suppose painting the house white is out of compliance with the HOA. How about a new garage door? Here, sliding barn doors cover the glass entrance.

• PRO
    Dig Doug's Designs
    5 years ago

ideas:

• Alyssa Kidd
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Doug - what type of plants would you recommend around the base of the home?

• Olychick
    5 years ago

I'd paint the garage door a color pulled from the brick so it blends in, not contrasts. Too dark and it's just going to look like a big gaping hole.

A natural wood tone would look nice:

too dark:

• sheepla
    5 years ago

Can you expand the size of the sad little window above the garage?

• chloebud
    5 years ago

I would consider Yardvaark's suggestion.