Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dirty_gardener

Amaryllis budding all over!

dirtygardener
5 years ago

Usually, my Amaryllis don't bloom this early, but they all have buds already. Happily, the "mystery" amaryllis that a community garden friend gave me 4 years ago, have sent up one bud. He didn't remember what color they were, so I'm praying they're not something I already have. I love red amaryllis, but how many do you actually need?

Comments (26)

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Would love to see pictures when they do bloom

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Shuffles, beautiful! I grew some of those orange ones from seed, and one is blooming right now. Only 4 actually made it, so I'm hoping the other four bloom soon.

Glenn, will definitely send pics when they do. That red & white one I sent you should be large enough to bloom this year.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

DG I believe it is putting up a flower stock now

• Fred Biasella
    5 years ago

Shuffles,

What an incredible display!!! They look like xJohnsonii and very beautiful. I remember many years ago when my parents lived in Florida, almost all of their neighbors had these growing in their gardens and boy was it a sight :-))))

• shuffles_gw
    5 years ago

A neighbor gave me some bulbs decades ago. They are in a bed with my pineapples and require no care at all. I do mulch with oak leaves once a year. They put on a great show - too bad it lasts only one week a year.

• bluebonsai101
    5 years ago

It's amazing to see these growing in the ground. Alas, that is something I can only dream of in Pittsburgh (zone 6). I also look forward to seeing your flower beds in bloom :o) Dan

• suncoastflowers
    5 years ago

Only 1 of mine has bloomed. these are in a big pot because I am redoing their area. Well mostly I am just trying unsuccessfully to kill all weeds.. I am hoping some of the others send up something!

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Beautiful bloom today

• popmama (Colorado, USDA z5)
    5 years ago

I really enjoy seeing these growing in the ground. Like bluebonsai said above, I am also in a zone where we can only grow these indoors in pots. So it's really cool to see them putting on such a garden show!

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Glenn, That's the one I sent you! YAY! Mine have buds, but they haven't bloomed out yet. My red ones will probably bloom first.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

DG yes it is and right now it's the star of the garden. It's very pretty.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm so glad it bloomed for you. They multiply fast, so you'll have a nice clump in a couple of years.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Well, my orange seed-grown amaryllis bloomed, but the stem got bent. I taped it back together, and the bloom emerged, but it's sickly looking. I'm hoping one of the other four in the pot blooms soon.

Meanwhile, the others are taking their sweet time opening. Waiting for the buds to mature and opening is really frustrating.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Finally have one completely open. I love this deep red one. It has two scapes this year, so I'll get to enjoy it for awhile longer. The rest are just starting to break out and put out blooms. My mystery amaryllis is showing no red yet, so hopefully, it's not just another red one.

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Very pretty, DG, I wish they bloom all summer. There are two clumps of them in my front garden that where here when I moved in that never bloom. I was thinking about thining them it's the only thing I can think of as to why they don't bloom. Any suggestions?

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Glenn, yes, thin them. They stop blooming when they're overcrowded. You can do it any time, but I like to wait until the foliage dies back. I'm sure you can find a place for the babies! Plus, once they start to bloom, they like lots of water and fertilizer about once a week during the bloom period.

• bea (zone 9a -Jax area)
    5 years ago

Your flowers are just beautiful! Mine haven't sent out buds yet. I rescued them from the house next door before that lady sold it but I forgot to ask what color they are.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Bea, I have about 10 mystery amaryllis I got from a friend at a community garden. One ended up being a triple and one is about to bloom, so I'll see what that one is. The rest have not bloomed. I'm hoping they're just late bloomers.

• ibarbidahl
    5 years ago

Beautiful.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I have more to show, but I can't get the pictures to load right now.

• dirtygardener
    Original Author
    5 years ago

O.K., let's try this again. This is that "surprise" triple reddish-orange that first bloomed last year, but was eaten up by thrips. I put some Bayer systemic on it early, and it's just gorgeous with four blooms per scape, and it's put out two scapes this year.

• Katherine 10A
    5 years ago

Wow! I have hippeastrum all around the house. They are dark orange with white and are prolific! I have a couple of true Amaryllis and they don't seem so. The Hippeastrum seem to bloom under scrubs, in beds, even in grass where I decided to abandon a bed. Look like the ones Scuffles has. ???? I usually deadhead them but this year I haven't and I'm thinking maybe it's better if I don't. Opinions?? They've been blooming about 4 weeks.

• Katherine 10A
    5 years ago

Glenn try Bone meal!

• Glenn Jones(9b)
    5 years ago

Katherine I will thank you