0
maire_cate

Looking to upgrade my iPhone 6 - anyone have the XS? 8?

maire_cate

My iPhone 6 works fine for my purposes but I'm interested in a better camera. I have a separate camera but seldom have it with me. In a few months I'll be welcoming my first grandchild and in July I'm heading to France. Using my phone to snap photos will be much easier and the face recognition seems to be faster . I looked at the XR and liked it - but it's really a little too large for me.

Any thoughts?

• jmck_nc

I have the 8....works fine for me. But for a really great camera, my husband and son have Samsung and it really is amazing.

maire_cate thanked jmck_nc
  • Bestyears

Just upgraded to the XR from a 6. I too was worried about the bigger size, but now I'd never go back. I truly love it. Apple has a good comparison feature for the differences between models. For example, you can not use the finger touch to open a locked phone on the XR. I really liked that feature but have adjusted to the facial recognition and using PIN when necessary.

maire_cate thanked Bestyears
  • OutsidePlaying

I have the 8+ and love it. Really great camera and the battery life is much improved over the 6s I had previously. I think you have to get the plus, not the regular 8 to get the better camera. The X models weren’t out when I got mine.

maire_cate thanked OutsidePlaying
  • Fun2BHere

I upgraded from the 6+ to the XS Max, so from one large format to another. I see some improvement in the camera, but I think most DSLRs still take better pictures. Like you, though, I usually have my phone, but never my camera, so...good compromise I guess.

maire_cate thanked Fun2BHere
  • diane_nj 6b/7a

Fried my 7 while in Cairo three weeks ago, bought an XS last Friday. Getting used to some changes in the controls (closing apps, shutting down apps, Face ID), but so far, so good. Took almost no time to restore it from the backup on iCloud, and the Apple Store team was very helpful. I haven’t used the camera yet.

maire_cate thanked diane_nj 6b/7a
  • maire_cate

Thanks for all of your replies.

I went back to the store today and the sales manager urged me to reconsider the XR. I thought the XR was as big as the XS Max but I was mistaken, it's only slightly larger than the XS so I'm going to take a second look and spend a little time reading some of the reviews.

• Sueb20

I have the XS and my DH has whatever the one is that’s slightly bigger. Maybe it’s the user, but his photos are way more impressive than mine. Pics from

his phone:

maire_cate thanked Sueb20
  • gsciencechick

Both of us have the 8 and we like it. To me, the plus is just too big. I've had mine about a year, and DH just got his last week after his 5 died.

maire_cate thanked gsciencechick
  • maddie260

I have the XR and like it. My friend, a pro photographer, said the camera is a major upgrade in the XR model- esp the portrait mode, etc. She was demonstrating the difference between a 6 and the XR to a group of us on a walk and it's pretty impressive. The one annoying thing for me is the size is uncomfortable for talking. If I'm going to be talking for any length of time (seldom), I use the earphones provided with the phone. The battery life is very good. The controls are different, but didn't take long to get used to. I'm pleased with it.

maire_cate thanked maddie260
  • maire_cate

Sue - Your Frenchies would be adorable even if photographed through cheesecloth.

I wonder if your DH has the XR, it's only slightly larger than the XS. The XS is 5.8, the XR is 6.1 and the SX max is 6.5

The sales associate said the 2 main differences is the XS has a dual rear camera while the XR has one, and they have different displays.

I'm not sure I could discern the difference.

Maddie - that's a good point. When I go back I'll have to hold it like I'm talking on it. I don't use my phone for very long periods of time the way my kids do and the earphones would be helpful.

And to make this even more confusing for me - my son just gave me an iWatch - it's the series 4 with cellular. Verizon had a special offer for 2 weeks - buy one iWatch and get a second one for half price. It was a wonderful gift, especially since DH has had several health scares and now he can reach me even if I'm in the pool at the gym ----but now it means I have to learn how to use 2 new pieces of technology. The only thing that would be worse would be if I had to get a new car too.

• dedtired

Anyone using a larger phone that is harder to grip might like a Popsocket . Of course it doesn’t solve the problem of your phone not fitting in your pocket. Popsocket

maire_cate thanked dedtired
  • cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)

I upgraded from my 4 (pathetic, I know, but if something works, I am loathe to dump it.) to an XS. A tech site said the cameras are the same on an XS and an XR which sounded good to me. Also, I prefer a smaller phone bc I am small, so opted for the XS. I love it. Photos are great. So happy with it. Love tracking my activity through the day, too.

maire_cate thanked cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
  • Fun2BHere
    Photo left - 6+. Photo right - XS Max

maire_cate thanked Fun2BHere
  • maire_cate

Thanks for the photo Fun.

Tomorrow is decision day. I wasn't able to stop at the store all week and I've read so many online reviews that I figure I can't go wrong with either the XR or the XS.

I'm hoping the decision will be easy once I hold the phone and see how it feels in my hand. I do have small hands so I'll see which model seems the best fit.

Thank you for all the replies.

• mtnrdredux_gw

I got used to the size in no time. Love my XS Max.

maire_cate thanked mtnrdredux_gw
  • diane_nj 6b/7a

The XS is only slightly larger than a 7. Size was my primary requirement.

maire_cate thanked diane_nj 6b/7a