Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rbains5

I dislike climbers

rbains5
5 years ago

Is it just me who does not like to work with climbers ? I find them scary when not in bloom , I mean winters..anybody else like me?

Comments (92)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

I love this thread so much but feel bad the original poster had no idea we would spend days trying to convince them otherwise. Lol they probably didn’t realize we would just try to fix their climbing issue , not just agree with them! Come back original poster! We just want to grow roses with you :)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    5 years ago

I think the Mermaid actually climbs..she digs her 'hooks' into anything she can get and up she goes! She could probably hook herself into a concrete wall. Barbed wire has nothing on her. I put a half round cattle hay bale feeder around her to try to keep her in. Im gonna have to get the other half on soon.

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

Yes Lily, I am rather convinced and looking for climbers to start with ..lol.. and trellis and space to put them in ground .. and I am here .. I was away for a few days .. busy getting more roses and ordering and setting up a new raised bed for my veggies ;)

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Lol, what an interesting thread. From cost accounting point of view, you got more blooms from climbers ramblers for your $$ ( cost per unit/bloom). :-)

rbains5 thanked summersrhythm_z6a
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I am actually feeling better about trying my Quicksilver on an arbor.

Ok, thoughts.

The arbor is 7 ft tall. Quicksilver is 7 ft tall but Im hoping for at least another foot so that it will start to go over the top.

Ok. White arbor, lavender rose. On the other side of the arbor I am not planting a climber and I may not plant a rose but if I do, here are my choices that are already ordered or here

Charles Renne Macintosh

Lavender Veranda

Plum Perfect

The Fawn

Any or none of the above ?

Under the arch will be a bird bath.

Maybe Quicksilver is to short for an arbor and needs a trellis instead

• dianela7analabama
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Ohhhhhh I love this idea. All your choices for the other side are very good. lavender verandas color will be in the same spectrum as quick silver which will be very harmonious. I have one and the color is lovely. On the other hand a bit of pink with the rich blooms of CRM would look amazing and the fawn is such a generous little rose. My fawn blooms a lot more than my lavender veranda here, but I have had it longer so it might not stay that way.

You are making this very difficult =p by having such great choices.

I think depending on how much space you have I would do quick silver with plum perfect on other side to repeat the lavender. Then the fawn in front. Whatever you do I am sure it will be wonderful and I will be looking forward to seeing how it turns out. The fawn can of course be tucked in anywhere (I Love this little rose). Depending oh how much you want the other side covered maybe CRM will be a better option since I expect the Austin’s can get larger than plum perfect, but I am not sure.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Kristine, I'm getting a Quick Silver, too, but I won't pick mine up from Edwards locally til the first week in May. This is a five gallon plant that I expect to be blooming, so the take off will be fast. I still have time to acquire a support, but I think I'll use a lattice/trellis, and squeeze her in somewhere. I hoping she isn't over 6-7 feet tall max, and I don't want to use a lattice any taller than 6 feet. Quick Silver is own root, and I'm not happy about that, so she might be slower and smaller than described. In your zone, QS will probably be about as large as the description, or larger. She may cover the arbor, but you might need a short clematis to meet her coming up from the other side of the arbor. I can't wait to see how your rose does. Good luck. Your plans sound lovely. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Summers, my larger roses seem to produce more blooms than any climbers I've grown. They bloom for a longer period and repeat better. I guess it depends on the specific roses you are comparing. No rose out produces blooms compared to my grafted Julia Child roses. Diane

5 years ago

I am trying to find a shorter arbor so that Quicksilver at least reaches the top center. It would look dorkey if it just made it up one side.

Dianela, I have sevetal options to work with. There is also white Pet in the mix and 3 Desdamona.

Now I just have to clear a whole bunch of weeds to get it planted

5 years ago

I have 3 QS. Two are OR and one is grafted. The two OR are actually doing well. They arent slow and I got mine from band size. Diane, I think your QS OR will do well for you, especially since you will be starting from a 5 gal size.

5 years ago

Sultry. How tall are your QS ?

5 years ago

I went out and looked. The grafted is close to 7ft. Of the two own roots, One is about 6ft and the other 7 ft. They both have about 3 basals coming up from the base. The grafted, I got last year and the other two the yr before. The grafted may get taller here but I think the OR will also do well. I have Rasperry Cream Twirl as an OR and it is pretty large now. These two seem to be growing about the same rate as RCT did.

I think all the QS will be taller than 7ft in warm zones. I'm betting closer to 12-14 ft

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Thanks, sultry. I'm in trouble in QS gets to 12 feet tall. I'm hoping 6-7', but roses get big here. Diane

5 years ago

Just wrap it around. The limbs arent too stiff when young :) I keep looking at the mature QS Chris posted on another thread. I dont know how tall hers is but she says QS can go on a obelisk or 7ft fence so maybe mine will start getting wider instead of taller lol..that what I thought about Poseidon (not) and kept cutting it back. Its easily 14ft. lol

[https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tell-me-about-kordes-quick-silver-pls-dsvw-vd~4500790?n=21[(https://www.houzz.com/discussions/tell-me-about-kordes-quick-silver-pls-dsvw-vd~4500790?n=21)

• jjpeace (zone 5b Canada)
    5 years ago

One of my garden dream is to grow climbing roses. Unfortunately, climbing roses are a challenge in Canada as a few of you has already mentioned. However a few years ago, my Teasing Georgia survived the mild winter and for the first time I was able to enjoy a "climbing rose". But I have to say pruning the following growing season was a lot of work. I was not happy to prune so many long canes...lol.

5 years ago

Ok Sultry, that sounds tall enough to grow on an arbor. Thanks for checking

• Seeingreen
    5 years ago

Sultry Jasmin the rose in the photo is Ash Wednesday

• R pnwz8a
    5 years ago

Beautiful pictures altorama

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Thanks so much!

5 years ago

What is the next to last pale yellow one ? I really like it ! Your climbers look great!!

oh and the apricot one above it too ! :)

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    5 years ago
    @altorama - please list all the names? They look great!
  • altorama Ray
    5 years ago

The second picture, is a rambler I don't know the name of. Next are Veilchenblau, Tausendonschon, Eden, Gem of the Prairies, Reine des Violetts, Alchymist, Ghislane de Feligonde, and at the bottom another unknown rambler.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Beautiful photos altorama! By any chance do you have May Queen? I am on the waiting list for 2 years and still not sure if I’d have one in 2020.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

I have about 12 others but unfortunately not May Queen, though I would love one!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

Your photos of Veilchenblau on HMF helped push me to order some!

• totoro z7b Md
    5 years ago

I keep hoping that my Alchymist will have a second flush this year.

Altorama, does your Alchymist get a secomd fall flush?

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

My Alchymist is a once bloomer.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

No it is a once bloomer for me, but after it finishes my Nymph Egeria, which is in front of it, blooms all season.

Jc, Veilchenblau is a great rose with healthy foliage. It also sets hips and can handle a clematis climbing on it. Very easy to train. I hope you love it!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Also they don't look so bad in winter, here is a comparison shot.

But before iI post it I wanted to mention Lillian Gibson, a very hardy rose which has red canes in the winter. Very pretty in bloom.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Lillian Gibson

Glenn Dale

E

EE

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Edmond Proust

Jessica

Rosarium Utersen

Lavender Lassie with Veilchenblau at my old house

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Sorry, here is Lavender Lassie

Nymphe Egeria

Jacques Cartier

I

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Wow is this site a PITA to post on! My other climbers are New Dawn, Seafoam, Blush Hip, DarlowsDarlow's Enigma, Mme Alfred Carrière, Zephirine Drouhin, a few small unknown Geschwinds, and Westerland. Oh and Gerbe Rose.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Wow altorama! They are beautiful!!! How much land do you have with all these ramblers? I have to move some of mine to the country, I am running out of room in the suburb lot. And some of the once bloomers I planted last year got really bad rabbit damage, not sure they are going to bloom this spring.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Not as much room as you may think. This pic is the only designated rose garden, iI would say that is about half of it. The others are planted in front of the house and on the side of the hoisehouse. I do not plant them too far apart from each other, 3 feet if they are lucky. Sorry for the typos. I hope your roses recover from the rabbits!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

Wow! That’s so lovely indeed!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Thank you!!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

A few more..

Unknown seedling

Lillian Gibson

Blush Hip

William Baffin at my old house

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Cannot upload William Baffin

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Sorry to be so obnoxious with the pictures! This one wants to be a climber, Glory of Edzell.

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

My goodness! How many roses do you have? :-)

My William Baffin is the pain in the neck, they’re so big in zone 6a, and I got 3 of them, not much repeat here.

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Haha which is why iI left it at my old house!

• summersrhythm_z6a
    5 years ago

I bought the last 3 bare root William Baffin at a farms market years ago for $3 each without knowing they are monsters! Lol

• oursteelers 8B PNW
    5 years ago

I love all the pictures! Post away! And you should probably tell me all the bad things about William cause right now he’s looking pretty good to me!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Well it is more like a tree than a rose, thorny, but hardy as Hell. Just give it lots of room. It is strong enough to support a summer blooming clematis since this blooms in the spring. I got sporadic rebloom in the fall.

• Ashley (Idaho zone 5b)
    5 years ago
    I'm zone 5 and grow lots of climbers.

Pretty in pink Eden, raspberry cream twirl (nearly thornless with soft canes), Eden, James Galway, top of the world, etc. nothing seems to suffer dieback. I even buy potted miniature roses from grocery stores and put them outside.
    5 years ago

Ashley and alterama , gorgeous photos !!! Climbers are my favorite class . So beautiful and big !!

• altorama Ray
    5 years ago

Beautiful Ashley!

• jc_7a_MiddleTN
    5 years ago

altorama, can you give details about how you trained the veilchenblau into the tree? I'm trying to do the same thing with several of them.

How vigorous is it?

How far away from the trunk do you have it planted?

Did you have to tie it to a branch as soon as it would reach?

What did you do with it while it was still small?