0

How to accentuate high ceilings? Drapery? Lights?

80sgirlatheart

I want to accentuate the high ceilings in this room. I was going to do wood beams but they are very expensive. I have been told to raise the window hardware to near the ceiling and to add fabric to the bottom of my drapes. Also pretty expensive. Any other thoughts? Would a dramatic light on a downrod instead of a fan that is flush with the ceiling do the trick? Thanks for any input!

• shadylady2u

Just want to say, since your curtains are the same color as the wall and blend in, raising the rods would do much of nothing. Then you would also have that excess wall showing between the rod and the top of the windows, which I personally don't like.

• 80sgirlatheart

Hi shadylady2u. Thanks for your response. The walls are actually a gray color and the drapes are a tan color. The picture didn't differentiate them well. In real life, they don't blend together. :)

• mzloolue

I raised the curtain rods and put in longer drapes in two room and it made a huge difference. Truthfully I was amazed.

• pennydesign

I think that by having a darker color than the ceiling you're actually making it look a bit lower.

One light color on both would look amazing...

Look at this one, compared to yours...

• 80sgirlatheart

@mzloolue- How high did you raise them? It was suggested to me to have the hardware practically at the ceiling. That seems so high to me.

• Bunny

My vaulted ceiling might be higher than yours. My walls and ceiling are all the same color (SW Antique White). It makes for an all enveloping space with less areas of demarcation, similar to pennydesign's second image.

• 80sgirlatheart

@pennydesign- I feel as though the ceilings disappear in those pics. And that the cabinetry does as well since it is really the same color as the walls. The room I posted a pic of leads right into the kitchen and our cabinets are also white. I would be afraid to have such a light color with them. IDK. Everyone has different thoughts I guess. :)

• groveraxle

Raising your curtains to the ceiling will make the biggest difference.

• groveraxle

Those are beautiful curtains, BTW.

• 80sgirlatheart

@groveraxle- What program are you able to do that in?! That helps so much. I am not good at visualizing what it would look like in my head. :)

BeverlyFLADeziner

Raise the drapery panels.

Lower the fan

Select a less clunky solution for your TV

• 80sgirlatheart

@groveraxle- Please look at some of my other design dilemma posts and help me if you have time. Would be much appreciated!

• pennydesign

You're welcome...

RL Relocation LLC

Unfortunately, you cant just lower a fan unless the electrician left a bunch of lead wire, which is hard to do with the mounting hardware used to install a fan. That being said you seemed to say "expensive" so what is the budget? I light new light fixture would not be "cheap" per say either. I don't think false beams would help you here much anyway, raising the curtains will provide height. I'm not sure you need a new light as it would start to feel crowded in there I think.

• jay06

I would raise the drapery panels at the height pictured by groveraxle, but I'd invest in white drapes. The lighter color will raise the eye. As is, the darker drapes blend with the darker walls (despite the color difference) and you'll lose the visual effect.

• 80sgirlatheart

I feel like raising the drapery panels brings more attention to our windows, which are nothing special. Just builder grade. What about a fan or light that hangs on a downrod and a nice piece of décor to go above the window in the triangle section?

• decoenthusiaste

Keep decor below window frames; at the 8-9' level. No big box store iron doo-dads anywhere! Get some white sheets and painter's tape and tape them as grover has shown to get a better sense of what white curtains would look like. Light paint, light ceiling and light curtains will enlarge your room tremendously. I prefer people admire my furnishings and decor rather than how high the ceilings are.

• Kim

I can't believe that I'm saying this but in your room I would not raise the curtain rods. During the day, when your draperies are open, it will show that large gap between the top of the window and the curtain rod. I agree totally with pennywise's suggestion to paint your walls so that they don't lower your eye and weigh down the room. I also think a fabulous light fixture at the appropriate height would draw the eye up.

Shakuff

Hi! Since you have plenty of natural light, maybe a small lighting fixture would help to continue to create dimensions in the room. Perhaps like some of our below projects? We'd love to help you here at Shakuff. Please contact us at inquires@shakuff.com or (212)675-0383.

• Yayagal

I'm with Jay, raise and make them a white linen if possible.

Flo Mangan
    While raising drapes would work, that is pricey fix. I would select a new lighter paint color and paint walls and ceiling same color. Right now the contrast in color from walls to ceiling is your biggest problem. Maybe consider raising the rod on far end only. Everything depends on how much money you want to spend in your room? I would look for a “fandolier” for this room. These provide the “look” of a chandelier but also incorporate a fan. Many new styles now available. I will post some examples. Bbl
    Flo Mangan
    Fan/chandelier combo.
    RL Relocation LLC

^^dust catchers.

Flo Mangan

lol-everything in house is a "dust catcher" and regular fans are too, so you pick your choices. There is already a fan in this room, so no significant change, IMO.

• Amanda Smith

I agree that the paint color is weighing down the room....

Flo Mangan

btw, beams make ceilings look lower, so no need for beams.

• pennydesign

I believe I mentioned paint color upthread....can we see the other side of the room?

I'm also one who detests curtain rods hung up high....

The fan/chandelier issue really depends on if you use your fan...if you never use it, then why not have something prettier? If it gets used, then stick with it (consider using a white/light one though, so it's not so in-your-face)...

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

If by "accentuating the ceiling" you mean that you want it to appear higher, then you should definitely paint the walls and the ceiling the same color. Having 2 different colors chops up the space and brings the eye down. I think the room would look wonderful with a dark color on both ceiling and walls!

• 80sgirlatheart

Thanks for all of the advice! I am thinking that we may just get a fandelier or nice light on a downrod to start and see how that goes. Raising the drapes or even getting new ones is going to be rather pricey. Can probably get a nice light or fandelier for less than $700 I am hoping. Any ideas for lighting? @Flo Mangan- love the fandeliers. We looked at those for our great room that are on another thread. :)

• celerygirl

I always vote for drapes from ceiling to floor. If you want to get great look go for it. Do not save a penny. Grover did a good job. You do not need to get expensive curtains . All other efforts ...would not get you this fabulous look. One you done with curtains, you would enjoy of look all the time.

• cherylbmusic

I vote for the drapes as high up as possible - floor to ceiling. Recently did this in my own living room & it was a game changer. My wall color is also a gray with the drapes in a warm white linen color. Ceiling height is 18' and I found someone on Etsy that made 2nd story drapes. They do not function, just for looks. :-)

• decoenthusiaste

Another option but still an outlay if you want to add texture via shades instead of drapes.

• 80sgirlatheart

@pennydesign- You asked what the adjoining rooms look like. Here you go! The room leads right into the kitchen and great room. Excuse the kitchen table, it's being replaced soon. Also deciding on light hence the wires hanging down.

Another thing to mention. What we have are drapes that close. Not panels. We like being able to close the drapes at night for privacy. The drapes were in the house when we moved in and are worth 2-3k I am guessing. Would be hard for me to get rid of them. We are going for earthy tones in this room since we have nature on three sides. I agree that white would look great but I am not up for replacing the drapes. If we raise the rods, we are looking at $1200 for additional fabric. Eek.

RL Relocation LLC

don't put a fan-dalier in every room. now that I see how close the two rooms are to each other.........

Here a thought what if you either painted or replaced just the rods? So they are not oak, they stand off the gray walls, if they blended more you might not notice the "break" in the wall?

https://www.wayfair.com/lighting/pdx/union-rustic-52-lilith-3-blade-led-ceiling-fan-with-remote-unrs4248.html

• 80sgirlatheart

@RL Relocation LLC- We've thought about painting the rods. We would have to paint all of the drapery rings too. Not sure how easy that would be. I may look into it. Perhaps a paint sprayer would be good.

I have been looking at that exact fan! :)

I like to get stuff on wayfair that is well reviewed that one for is for sure!

Diana Bier Interiors, LLC

Just make sure you price out the fan at a local store before you buy it on Wayfair. They don't always have the lowest price, even thought they want you to think they do. I just purchased 4 Tropitone chaise longues at a local high end outdoor furniture retailer, and the price was $235 less PER CHAIR than the exact same make and model on Wayfair. AND I got incredible customer service and a customized frame and sling choice. Unbelievable.