0

Need help with ideas for tall fireplace wall

80sgirlatheart

We just removed a giant mirror from our fireplace wall and replaced it with a combination of artwork, stikwood, and barnwood (for frame). The wall still seems to need something other than paint. Any ideas? Maybe wallpaper? Adding tile to the wall? Thanks in advance for any input!

Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

I'd remove that random piece of trim at the top of the fireplace. It's cutting it awkwardly.

• Claire Larece
    You need some accessorizing on top of mantle
  • spiritflower

Can you take a picture from further back showing the entire space. From what you posted I'd drop the artwork to be closer to your mantel and I agree with Sina to remove that trim piece at the top.

• groveraxle

I agree with removing the trim at the top. Then I'd replace the "artwork" with something more interesting.

• rrbot

I’d definitely drop the art a few inches. Then add sconces on either side or interesting mod candle sticks maybe on the mantle

A piece of art with some life would be a huge improvement

• jay06

I like the artwork. I find it interesting, which art should do. I also think you should leave the piece of trim above it that others have suggested removing. I like that it centers the art and makes the wall less...huge! The only thing that's needed, in my opinion, is a few items on the mantle, maybe two of something on one side and one on the other side.

RL Relocation LLC

To do a combo post. Paint your railing the same color as this trim and fireplace surround. Yes to removing the random trim. Wish I would have been around when you were picking out lights, I would have hung something a bit more interesting and lower into the room. .... thought. If you redo the sitting room, you could put this fan combo light in that room, and beef up the fixture in this room. Tho I dread enclosed fans and lampshades together, (they get grubby), especially when they are out of cleaning reach.

• 80sgirlatheart

@ RL Relocation LLC- we put fandeliers in this room and hung them 6ish feet down from the ceiling. I rather like them. :)

RL Relocation LLC

I cant wait for you to paint the railing! you should wait to decide on the art over the fireplace until you have the railing painted and the built-ins decorated. I'm glad you are happy with the lights! your house is lovely.

• Claire Larece
    I actually like the art above the fireplace it is truly a conversational piece different from others...like seeing that sometimes. But I do think you should remove the crown above it.
  • 80sgirlatheart

@RL Relocation LLC- I have a company coming out next week to give me a bid on painting the stairwell and the trim. When the walls were a beige color, the trim was fine. Now that the walls are gray, we are going to paint them white. Thanks for the compliments. Everything is coming together slowly but surely.