0

Jasmina and Cloud 10 dead to the ground AGAIN!

lkayetwvz5

It is horrible to walk around the gardens and see roses with total black canes again this year. I even mulched this year as Moses suggested (surrounds filled with pine bark nuggets). I haven't removed this yet but I don't see anything green in poking around the top. Even Morden Sunrise is brown and showing no red leaf buds and only two canes of John Cabot show any life. These two only got hay around the base. Someone was discussing Honeymoon climber here on the forum and I went to HMF for more info. However it just looks it might be a repeat of my Jasmina and Cloud 10. This will be it's fourth year in the ground and again it is dead down to the mulch except for one cane which I will expect to be dead when real growth starts around here. None of the Kordes small climbers appear to be very full and a gorgeous picture of Honeymoon on HMF clearly shows at least three plants make up the bush. Is this the only, albeit expensive way to get a decent look if only one or two canes survive on each plant?

• Lilyfinch z7 mid tn

I’m so sorry to hear that .. but maybe some green will be in the mulched area? It must be so incredibly frustrating.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

I found gardening in Alaska (z 3) for 33 years, I could not beat the zone by protecting plants long term. Planting well within your zone, like zone 4 in your case, would give you so much more living plant to work with each Spring.

• vaporvac

Sheila, you could write a book for cold zoners! I really wish the marketers would divide zone hardiness into root, cane and tip categories, especially for the climbers. That must be so frustrating.

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

That is exactly it, vapor. Plants that barely stay alive are not differentiated from tip hardy as it stands now. University of Minnesota did study this and publish what percent of hardy roses stayed alive over winter. This information would help. Tip hardy would be nice I'll have to say wherever we are as far as roses are concerned.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

I’m really sorry to hear that too. I just couldn’t “like” that. Two really lovely roses. I’m hoping there will be something that springs up for you! :-)

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    If it's any consolation, almost all of my roses are dead to the ground except a couple Canadian roses. I just hack them all back to their nubs and see what happens as the season goes. I have given up on the idea of climbers because of our weird winters. But on the plus side, many of my shrub roses grow from a few inches in spring to 3-5 feet by October. So there is still hope of a good season!
  • Dingo2001 - Z5 Chicagoland

Have you even had warm enough weather yet for buds to start pushing? We are just getting a few days here above freezing. Mulching the base won’t do zip for the canes. Most of my die back too.

• bella rosa

As much as love the Kordes climbers, I find that they are not winter hardy in my Zone 5b garden. Most of them will have quite a bit of dieback and are able to bounce back well with new growth. This is why I stick with primarily Canadian Explorer roses. They are able to survive our harsh winters with very little dieback.

• vaporvac

Bella, you can join Sheila in writing that book on Cold Zone roses! Yours are so beautiful. Sheila, do you have pictures of your garden in Alaska?

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    @dingo - I thought the same thing. We still have snow on the ground & it will be at least another month until I can see how winter really treated the plants. In zone 5 we still have a long ways until growth starts!
  • Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Vapor, here are a few.

• HalloBlondie (zone5a) Ontario, Canada
    @Sheila- those look lovely! A very different style than your current garden. Have you always had large properties to work with?
  • vaporvac

I didn't think you could top your current home, but gee. Not better, just different and equally astounding. Which roses are pictured? You are really an artist.

• Perma n’ Posies/9A FL

Wow, Sheila—just stunning!! :-)

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Thank you both! I had an acre and a third in Alaska bordering on a State Park. Here I have almost five acres. Roseraie de l' Hay above. I'll add Wasagaming and Snow Owl below. I've gotten all three here too. The climate dictated the style change.

• bella rosa

your blue poppies are stunning!

vaporvac, btw, thank you for the compliment! we need more zone 5 and folks to chime in.

• totoro z7b Md

Stunning garden, Sheila!

• Sheila z8a Rogue Valley OR

Thank you all. I bought an Astilboides Tabularis recently and hope he likes it here. I do miss my Alaskan Astilboides, clematis, and rose William III I left in Alaska. My Martagon lilies and delphinium were so happy there.

Astilboides is adorable.

Martagon lily Claude Shride
    English Delphinium I grew from seed.
    Rubus oderata. I really need this here too.
    Jim should get these Rubus oderata instead of roses.
    They are wonderful in person.
    These early small flower clematis were so cheery.
    Look at the baby leaves on Astilboides.

• seil zone 6b MI

Please, don't despair everyone! It's way too early to know what will live. I've had roses that I was just sure were dead come back to life as late as June. In a thread somewhere else Beth has found that a lot of roses she was sure were dead from the fire are now starting to leaf out again. Roses are very good survivors if you give them the chance.

• vaporvac

After last year though I know to be on it and put up any weaklings to give them a better chance.