0

Weed ID help please

I tried to Google it, but I must be using the wrong search terms. It is not growing upwards like the picture with the ruler shows, just sprawling on the ground like the first picture.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)

Consider Scleranthus annuus.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Well. Wow. May I ask how you would come up with this? And what search terms I would use to google this? I feel I am asking a lot of questions here, so looking for a way to figure more things out on my own.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

Since searching the very knowledgeable database of minds that frequent here is out of the question, you'd start by searching "weeds North South Carolina" and you will find THIS from NC State. You would look at each pic until you found a match. In this case it was the common name of "Knawel".

tj

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

That’s great, thank you! Searching the great minds here is never out of the question, I just don’t want to overstay my welcome by asking too many questions.

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱

No such thing as too many questions. And you are right. By asking here, it is performing a search.

tj

The Logician LLC

The plant ID people are just as eager to field questions as the insect people are in that other forum, Iris.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked The Logician LLC
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

Yes, we enjoy these questions.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
  • party_music50

I love the things I learn here! and I had no idea there was an insect forum. Off to look... lol!

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked party_music50
  • jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)

Iris, your excellent photos show many mature flowers with stamens evident. These plants are weedy, but interesting. Their stems are sometimes erect, but more often prostrate. Flowers are sessile to subsessile, with 5 greenish sepals that have scarious margins. Flowers lack petals and have 2-10 stamens each.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

Embarrassingly, I didn't recognise this even though it is a British native. I've never seen it and it is on the decline here. Seems not so in N C.

Iris S (SC, Zone 7b) thanked floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK
  • Iris S (SC, Zone 7b)

Thank you all so much! I am reading here often, have gotten answers for some plants by the answers you have given others. My lawn is a big part weeds. With all the rain we have had, mowing is still not possible, so a lot of these plants are getting the chance to flower. They will probably end up in the flower beds sooner rather than later. So I will be spending a lot of time on the weed website and ask questions here...Just a picture to show how little grass there actually is in some places.

• jekeesl (south-central Arkansas)

For me, that kind of yard is much more interesting than a uniform covering of grass.

• floral_uk z.8/9 SW UK

More interesting and infinitely better for biodiversity. More invertebrates and hence more birds.