0

What do you think of this chair?

Paul f

I've put off finding another chair for my living room long enough, I'm back on the search. I brought this blue chair home from HomeGoods because the shape was interesting and it was $250. I didn't notice the back legs stuck out so far so this is the only place it can go in the room otherwise I would kick the legs all the time... I did it two times already and just brought it in. It's going back but I thought I'd post it to get opinions on a blue chair in the room. Should I go with a wood armchair or modern swivel instead? Any opinions about anything are welcome and would be appreciated! BTW, facing the TV is a non-issue as it's rarely on.

• drdeb1234
    And I’ve said it before, but I really love this room.
    Paul f thanked drdeb1234
  • shwshw

I like all of your colors. A very happy room. Will your chair be used much?

Paul f thanked shwshw
  • Aphaea

If you really like the blue chair--and I do--why not see if you can get someone to replace the legs with ones (straight, Queen Anne, etc.) you like?

Paul f thanked Aphaea
  • LK Boken
    I really like it. It isn’t common, color is great, it goes with the aesthetic of the room but isn’t predictable. And really, what would you put behind the chair anyway? Other than a plant to give a bit of height
    Paul f thanked LK Boken
  • Paul f

Thank you! I thought for sure the first comment would be "too blue!" or "keep looking!". The chairs are used when I have people over on occasion.

Beth H. :

love your colors and decor.

while I don't mind the chair, if it's going back, what if you did a darker aqua shade to coordinate w/that wall color?

or more of a peacock shade?

pillows that work w/your colors

Paul f thanked Beth H. :
  • Paul f

I can definitely change the bolted on legs so I can move the chair around I guess. Good idea.

• Joy Peace
    Thumbs up. I love the room!
    Paul f thanked Joy Peace
  • Paul f

Thanks Beth, those are backlit frosted glass... I can change the color. Although the aqua looks great. There's lots of light on the chair now not sure that it's a true representation.

Beth H. :

ah, well alrighty then! the French blue is nice. you could use just about any color you like there. what about the purple one? if you trade w/the blue one, how's that look?

Paul f thanked Beth H. :
  • lefty47

HI -- I like the chair and it looks very comfortable and has a good color . Take it back and get one you will be totally happy with . Maybe a mid-century style chair like the womb chair or a swivel tub chair or a modern open box chair in the new gold or chrome frame . Houzz has lots to choose from and Wayfair is good I'm told. Your room is beautiful ..Luv it !

Paul f thanked lefty47
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Compared to all your other selections the blue chair IMO looks cheesy. I don't like the blue or lavender in this room. I would stick to the colors you started with. Your gray chair is the 'star' in the room and don't do anything that detracts from that. Can you get another gray chair?

Confine accent colors to the art and accessories. Consider replacing a cabinet for beneath your RV that floats off the wall. Not difficult to hang and not expensive.

I'd also rearrange your gallery wall . I like the picture shelves but the arrangement isn't artful yet.

Paul f thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • drdeb1234
    If you have the chair in that location, are the sticking-out-back-legs still a problem? Cuz I think that location is perfect for it.
    Paul f thanked drdeb1234
  • Paul f

Thanks Beverly! I am seduced by the $250 price that's for sure. A matching chair is too spendy right now but I can look for a gray version of this chair. I struggle with the art wall visually because some of the pieces there are major artists and I feel funny about crowding them as I have art collectors come over sometimes. I try not to treat the art as decor, if you know what I mean. I have thought about painting that wall gray forever.

This is what I am getting next TV I buy. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY-_6bH0GoA

• Paul f

No problem where it is! Any other place and its rear metal legs are dangerous. I know this looks tippy but it's not... I was able to unbolt the legs and turn them around.

• Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    I love the chair . I love, love the room. but, I don't love the chair in the room...
    Paul f thanked Oliviag/ bring back Sophie
    BeverlyFLADeziner

I understand about separating out the art. So don't include it on a gallery wall and devalue it. Lots of places for art in a home.

Paul f thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • LK Boken
    And upon a further look, I think the thing that is clashing the most is the aqua surrounds by the fireplace. That really fights the chairs. Dark gray? White? But the aqua is throwing me
    Paul f thanked LK Boken
    BeverlyFLADeziner

Chairs from Target How about selecting a chair that works with the green next to your fireplace?

Paul f thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
  • Paul f

You don't hide your best small scale art! You hang them salon style like a box of chocolates on the wall where you'll see them the most, with no overlap. Some collectors do crowd them for my taste. The art wall is seperate from the design and color scheme of the room for me.

LK, the areas on either side of the fireplace are back lit glass and the color can be changed with an app on my phone... lime, purple, white, yellow... aqua, you name it.

• Paul f

A high back chair there would obscure too much behind it I've found. I do like the idea of a round chair but with more contemporary flair. The green is an LED light that can change color, if you missed that.

• ilikefriday

Paul your art wall is amazing. Please stick to your guns and don't change one thing about it.

As for the chair, I like it but I am not in love with it. Yes, your space is over the top amazing even with the chair. How do you find so many great items at Home Goods?

I think a planter chair would look great, is that what they are called??

Paul f thanked ilikefriday
  • drdeb1234

Almost. Platner (although I had to override my autocorrect!)

Paul f thanked drdeb1234
  • tartanmeup

I like the look of the chair but I'm not sure about its particular blue. Hard to tell on my monitor as I'm getting three different renderings of the colour from your pics. If you find the chair's colour isn't optimal in your room (trust your eye), keep looking. I think navy might look better. I also like the look of the soft green Beverly posted and would also consider camel, burnt orange, charcoal and black. The aqua Beth posted looks great as well. What about a soft yellow or gold? I could see certain reds as well. I understand about not wanting to use art as decor but there's nothing wrong with being inspired by it to create a harmonious palette for the room. I love your violet chair and would consider it along with the current neutral ones when choosing a chair.

Perhaps it's a texture thing? Maybe you want to introduce a different material for this chair? I like ilikefriday's suggestion of a Platner.

Paul f thanked tartanmeup
  • NHBabs z4b-5a NH

I like it in your room and if it is comfortable to sit in, keep it. But I would plan to change the light color behind the frosted glass to a very pale blue or very pale purple to go with the purple chair or even a color that is one of your pieces of art.. I like the whole room as well.

Paul f thanked NHBabs z4b-5a NH
    Norwood Architects

It goes nicely with the color scheme and with the other furniture pieces.

Paul f thanked Norwood Architects
  • babophz

Hi Paul, nice to see your room again! The blue chair is nice enough but I think you could do better. In fact, I like your idea of a wood armchair. How about something like this one by &tradition?

It's a tad (ok, a lot) more expensive than your Home Goods chair, but hey, so is a Platner ;-)

Paul f thanked babophz
  • houssaon

i really like your chair. It looks super comfy!

Paul f thanked houssaon
  • ilikefriday

Babophz - I have seen more than a handful of posts where the Paul has found a spectacular buy at Home Goods. If anyone can find Platner there it's him :-)

Paul f thanked ilikefriday
  • Joy Peace

Great price ! Navy!

Paul f thanked Joy Peace
  • Chris T

The height of the chair is throwing me a little. I think it needs to be closer to the height of the other chair.

Paul f thanked Chris T
  • tqtqtbw

Aah! The awesome cat window house! Yes, you have great style. I like the blue chair.

Paul f thanked tqtqtbw
  • Paul f

Ha, at one location of HomeGoods the manager hugs me when she see me.... that's how bad it is. The quality of sofa and upholstered chairs is usually not very good. This chair is an anomaly and I hoped I had a winner. Perhaps I need to try a varieties of styles here before I decide solely on the thrill of a great price. It scares me to buy furniture online because of quality issues when I'm so picky about seams, padding etc. I'll start scouring the furniture stores in the coming week as see what I find... including styles like babophz and ilikefriday suggest. Thank you all for the feedback.

• Joy Peace

This is drool worthy. I'm sure you will find the perfect chair for your Fab room.

• Paul f

OMG, the legs were bolted on wrong... back legs were on the front! The whole thing sits differently now so if I kick the back legs it my own fault. I think I need to live with it for a few days... it's a lot of style for $250.

• drdeb1234
    I think the chair is great and am surprised by the tepid reviews. But frankly, I preferred the not-so-matchy lighting. (Cool feature though - maybe show a bunch of options??)
    Paul f thanked drdeb1234
  • shwshw
    Good news. It is a very cool looking chair. Enjoy!
    Paul f thanked shwshw
  • Anna A

wow - beautiful room... will keep this in mind for when kids are off to college!

Paul f thanked Anna A
  • Paul f

Then of course there is this. Frankie likes it!

• Aphaea

Oh, well, if Frankie likes it . . .

Paul f thanked Aphaea
  • Anne Duke
    The Bengal reigns.
    Paul f thanked Anne Duke
  • Jora

I'm in the minority here! I love your room (especially in love with that Art Deco gray chair), but I do not like that blue Home Goods chair at all. I would return the chair (remember, you only have thirty days to get your money back or you end up with a credit! ;) ;) ), and get a lime green chair - same color as your shaggy pillow on your sofa! :)

Paul f thanked Jora
  • kulrn

Love your house! Have you tried swapping the two chairs?

Paul f thanked kulrn
  • tartanmeup

Even your cat has über-style and great taste. :)

Paul f thanked tartanmeup
  • ilikefriday

Tartanmeup you nailed it. This home oozes style.

Paul can you give me some pointers on my space??? I want to ooze style too. Lol

Paul f thanked ilikefriday
  • tartanmeup

Um, friday, I've seen your space....you don't need any tips!!!! lol Goodness, your place is oozing as well.

Paul f thanked tartanmeup
  • babophz

Paul, you have tried quite a few chairs by now and the difference in height compared to the grey one always seems a problem. I understand you don't want to obscure what's behind the chair, so what if you opt for a chair that is high-backed but also "see-through"? With spindles

or woven

or only half a back (wouldn't this look awesome in your room???)

Paul f thanked babophz
  • drdeb1234

Cool options Bab!!

But I actually am ok with the different height chairs. And I think this blue one is substantial enough to hold its own, but not so "look at me" as to compete unnecessarily.

Paul f thanked drdeb1234
  • ilikefriday

Tartanmeup - you are kind but there is lots of room for improvement and fresh ideas!

Paul f thanked ilikefriday
  • Jan
    Have you tried swapping the chairs. Your room is beautiful and I’m more traditional. Color looks good to me.
    Paul f thanked Jan