Your shopping cart is empty.

Bathroom vanity: how far is too far for a light to extend over it?

hydeparkgirl
4 days ago

Hello, everyone!

We're making a second bathroom in our 60's ranch house, and we plan to have a 48" vanity, something like this: white, lots of drawers. We don't have lots of room for storage, which brings me to the question.

I'd like a medicine cabinet to s one is more like 9.5". Either would be over the vanity (more or less), although at the sides. Would having something protrude that far be annoying? Will we bump our heads? Do you have lights that are this deep, and if so, is it an issue, or is it just fine?net.

This light comes out 11.5". This one is more like 9.5". Either would be over the vanity (more or less), although at the side. Would having something protrude that far be annoying? Will we bump our heads? Do you have lights that are this deep, and if so, is it an issue, or is it just fine?

Thanks for any advice you might have!

Comments (5)

• Nancy in Mich

What is behind the med cab in the wall that prevents you from recessing it? You can get 3.5" or more that way. How to Install a Recessed Medicine Cabinet

hydeparkgirl thanked Nancy in Mich
  • hydeparkgirl

It's on an outside wall, so there is the stone on the outside of the house but nothing else - and it seems that insulation between that and the bathroom will help the bathroom keep its temperature better!

• Nancy in Mich

Yes, you are right. Some will put a mirror on that wall and then a smaller med cab on the side wall at the end of the vanity. Is this an option for you?

See the 5th picture on this reveal thread. Vanity with med cab on left wall.

• hydeparkgirl

The vanity will be in the middle of the wall, between the toilet and the shower, so there's no side wall, unfortunately. And sorry about the text - it wouldn't let me edit for clarity, so I might just redo the thread. Thanks for weighing in!

• hydeparkgirl

For anyone who might read far enough: this had said that the medicine cabinet would be mounted on an outside wall and would be 30 - 36" wide and about 5" deep, if that helps!

Need help with an existing Houzz order? Call 1-800-368-4268 (Mon-Sun).