Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sultry_jasmine_nights_fl9

David Austin's Eglantyne- Who Grows It?

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

I just got Eglantyne, Own Root from DA. I'm thinking I probably didn't research it enough and was seduced by visions of pink button-eyes and the description of it being one of DA's most beautiful roses. Upon searches of GW/Houzz, most of the photos of Eglantyne have a broken link so the pic no longer shows in the post.
Can anyone pease post photos and tell of their experience with her?
I am wondering how she is with black spot or if she is a weak grower on her own roots?
She is soaking now and will be going in a pot.

Comments (22)

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Hi !! I just searched through my emails to find out where my eglantyne came from and couldn’t. But I got it last spring. It’s already as tall as me (5ft plus ) . It’s been incredibly vigorous, and upright . It had lovely blooms and I remember loving them more than my st Cecilia . I am going to guess mine is grafted though.. I am not positive. It was healthy enough for me to not remember fussing about it . I really really love this one . I’ll look for photos later today . :)

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
  • sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Oh, thank you Lily, that is encouraging. I didnt realize she was a vigorous grower. I may be in for a surprise here lol. Mine is OR though. It is a nice sz OR comparable to the large grafted ones from DA. I would have preferred grafted but it was all they had.

I did a last minute order of Eglantyne and Strawberry Hill because I wanted a pair of super girly pinks lol. I already have SH as an OR from Heirloom but its still small and slow.

Original Author
    5 years ago

Krista those are beautiful flowers! That is the button-eyed look I want! She will probably black spot here too then since I don't spray either :/

• Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
    5 years ago

I have had her for about 6 years. My plant is vigorous and healthy, but she's been a very stingy bloomer for me.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Karen R. (9B SF Bay Area)
  • Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
    5 years ago

I have always wanted to grow Eglantyne , even more now that I gave seen your pictures

What a pretty pink

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Kristine LeGault 8a pnw
  • pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

I grew Eglantyne for several years, but removed it when I went no spray. Even when I sprayed, it had bs issues, but had a lot of trouble keeping foliage once I quit spraying it. Mine wasn't fond of our heat...didn't bloom much, if at all, during our hottest months, but the blooms during cooler months were very beautiful. These are the only pictures I'm finding from when I grew it. You can see some of its of bare canes in the second and third pics (same basic pic, but a day apart)

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked pat_bamaz7
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Karen, Its encouraging to hear Eglantyne is disease resistant in your zone. Too bad she doesn't bloom more for you. Her flowers are so pretty. I'm already having buyers remorse on this one but too late now lol.

Kristine, Let us know if you decide to try it and post pictures!

Pat, Your flowers are heartbreakingly beautiful! Your climate is probably the most similar to mine, plus, neither of us spray so I bet it defoiliates here too. I hope I get at least a few pretty blooms before it croaks. I wonder if it would do better on Fortuniana? Were yours grafted?

DA needs to come up with an Improved Eglantyne, that has the same pretty button-eyed flowers but better black spot and heat resistance and more blooms!

• pat_bamaz7
    5 years ago

SJN, Mine was grafted on Dr. Huey. It wanted to be tall, but not wide. I'm 7b or 8a depending on which hardiness zone source I go by. You probably have more cool months than we do...we go from cool to cold quickly, so too cold here for rose blooms December through at least mid-April. Then it turns from cool to hot quickly. If you're weather allows for winter blooms, Eglantyne might be happy to bloom those months for you. If you get enough of her beautiful blooms fall through spring, maybe you can over look her naked canes.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked pat_bamaz7
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Sultry, I've grown Eglantyne since the year she debuted---a total of five plants at two locations since then. Currently, I grow just one, due to lack of space. She's under terrible deer pressure and too much tree shade now, but still can have some good bloom production in spite of this. Last year, though, the deer ate everything she produced, plus canes, and she nearly died. Over the years, I've loved and hated this rose. For me, she is pretty tall and wide, but grows a lot of erratic canes that make her have a not so good looking growth habit. But not every year. She seems quite cold hardy, and loses her leaves the earliest of my roses, but that's not a problem for you. The blooms are lovely, and her scent is among the best of the Austin roses. Her repeat could be better (under good conditions). I still have hopes of transplanting this rose to a better spot, so her full potential can be realized again. Diane

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
  • nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Oops, all five of my E have been grafted on Dr Huey. I'm kind of thinking Eglantyne might need to be grafted. No diseases here, because we don't have BS here (except my BS) and other stuff. Diane

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Original Author
    5 years ago

Pat, thank you for the thorough explanation of your weather conditions. We can freeze as early as Thanksgiving but usually its around xmas. Then we might have many or no freezes depending on the year lol. This year we had a couple light frosts and that's it! The nights do bounce around in the upper 30's- upper 40's F and days 60-85F ish during the winter. Feb is usually the coldest month. Our last freeze is usually around 1st of March or so. That's normally when I pull all my tropicals out of the greenhouse. Our winters are normally dry and summer it starts raining and it all goes to h*** and its Gumbo Soup outside (as they say in Louisiana) lol

You are probably right about Eglantyne giving more blooms here in the winter.

Crown Princess is the same way and gives a nice spring flush. I really think she likes cooler weather than I have here. At least she isnt a bs magnet.

Diane, your Eglantynes are so ♡Lovely! Her fragrance must be delicious if you have five of her! She must also be extra tasty to deer. I recently saw deer here at night in the front yard near the house. None of the roses were touched, amazingly! I think they were after all the new green grass sprouting. Still. its making me nervous. I havent seen deer in our front yard ever and only a few at the back of the property when we first moved in and the place had been empty awhile.

Hey Diane, Guess What?

I just ordered Colette :) but as an own root plant. That place on etsy has her (freshgardenliving). I ordered from them last year and the rose was small but doing well still. I'm so happy, maybe my Colette will be as pretty as yours in about 5 years lol.

~Sjn

• Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    5 years ago

Sultry , I’m sorry I couldn’t find any photos that were as lovely as the ones above. I took some crappy pics last year! No excuse this year as I got a better camera.

I did want to tell you Colette will do wonderful for you own root! My pair came from roses unlimited. Going on year 3 and so much growth i wish I could fly Diane here to show me how to prune it !! I actually ordered Colette with my pitiful Sonia rykiel. Of course they are different types of roses but really such a big growth difference!!

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Lilyfinch z9a Murrieta Ca
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Lily, Hey, no problem, dont worry. I appreciate that you took the time to look!

I can't wait to grow Colette. I've been swooning over Diane's photos of her for a few years lol!

I'm glad she does well own root for you Mine will probably take a while to get going but I am still happy Post pics of your Colettes when they start blooming.

• the_bustopher z6 MO
    5 years ago

I have had an own-root Eglantyne for quite a while now. It has never been particularly overly vigorous. I think that the tallest that its lanky canes have gotten is about 5 feet, maybe 6 feet. It forms an arching bush, but it is quite susceptible to blackspot. The flowers are pretty and look like they are made from porcelain and have a pronounced fragrance. The posted pictures above give you an idea, but don't quite capture the porcelain look adequately. There are also not very many of them at any given time. It has, however, survived our miserably random order season sequences and has lived and bloomed to tell the tale. I don't know how it will do in Florida, but you might have a chance with it. My experience with the own-root Austins is that they lack the vigor of the grafted ones. That is not necessarily always a bad thing since they won't get as big as soon. Good luck with yours.

• nanadollZ7 SWIdaho
    5 years ago

Bustopher, I agree with you about some Austins not having as much vigor own root. I'm struggling with an own root Abe Darby that's own root.

Sultry, that's great that you're getting Colette, and I think in your warm climate the own root Colette should do well, and I don't think it will take anywhere near five years for results. Thanks for your comment about Eglantyne. This rose is not perfect, as I mentioned. I would choose Evelyn over her if I were forced to make such a choice. Watch out for those horrid pests, the deer. I hope they don't come back, but be prepared, if they do. Have some deer repellent on hand. I wonder if the deer had been feasting on hosta and other lush plants in your neighborhood, and were too full for roses. You were lucky.

Lily, my poor Colette gets about zero upkeep, so I wouldn't be much help with pruning advice. On another recent thread, I mentioned my method was "let her rip, and when it gets bad, whack back". I am getting too old to get up on stepladders to do real pruning of climbers. It's going to be a big problem. I'm glad your own root Colette is doing well. You are warm enough that the vigor of a grafted plant is probably not necessary. Diane

• daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    5 years ago

sjn, I have just planted one in a pot. We can compare notes as they grow.

Daisy

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked daisyincrete Z10? 905feet/275 metres
    Original Author
    5 years ago

That's great Daisy! I can just imagine how gorgeous she is going to be in your paradise garden! Such a lucky rose! Please post photos when she begins to show off her blooms.

~Sjn

• Dave5bWY
    5 years ago

I think Eglantyne has had plenty of vigor own root. Mine are 5-6 feet tall and bounce back well when attacked by deer or by me. She is susceptible to BS but where she is so hardy (not an issue for you, I know) and blooms are so beautiful - she’s a keeper for me. I have wanted to try her grafted just to test whether this makes any difference with her but DA only sells her own root now and I passed up the chance of getting her grafted at a local nursery but she didn’t look so good at the time.

I’m sorry your own root AD isn’t very vigorous, Diane. I have one grafted and 3 own root. The one own root that receives the best sun is the most vigorous (at least as vigorous as the grafted or more so) but the one that receives afternoon shade is the least vigorous. I hope yours perks up soon.

sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish) thanked Dave5bWY
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Thanks Dave. Its encouraging that yours is doing well. I hope to see beautiful flowers soon. Sorry about the deer. We have a few roaming around this year too. They are getting bolder now, I'm not sure why.