0

How would you furnish this screen porch?

VaLady

While we’re waiting on our Eze-Breeze windows to be installed on our new porch I’d like to get furniture and a rug picked out.

How would you furnish the space for a young family? We have three children preschool - preteen that we homeschool. The morning room is used as our dining room. I was originally wanting to make the porch a lounging area but I think we’re going to be eating out there quite a bit.

The porch is 12’x16’ with an 8’x12’ grilling deck. On the photo I’ve marked the doors in blue, posts in red, and house windows in green. The dashed rectangle is the nonusable pathway.

What size rug would you use? 8’x10’ or 6’x9’? Where would you place it?

What type of furniture would you use and how would you place it?

I really wanted a porch swing but I don’t think it will be the best use of space for us. I found this daybed glider that I love but wonder if it will be too big?

I think this with the table might be my best option.

Any help would be appreciate!

• VaLady

Conversation set dimensions

• nhb22

You will not have room for the swing. I wanted a swing, also. Had to choose between couch or swing. Plus you need empty space for movement.

Depending on how you like your flooring, you could go with the smaller rug in just the seating area while letting the floor show in other places. Or go with the larger rug to hide.

Although my porch is larger than yours (13 x 20), we have a similar lounging set, and our porch has multiple house windows and support post. We put our dining table on the patio. We went with a larger rug for the seating area and still have a good bit of the porch floor showing. I'd be glad to post photos for you so that you can get some ideas.

• Yayagal

The swing set is lovely but they are not comfy for your arms with the cold sides plus you lose space being that the glider needs room to swing. I have two sun porches and use indoor furnishings with a more casual look.

• VaLady

nhb22-that’s what I thought about the swing too :( sadly just not enough room.

Currently the flooring is brand new and lovely. I wouldn’t mind having it showing. I wasn’t sure design-wise which rug would be best.

A patio is in the plans but not currently completed. I figured when the patio was done I’d be able to either have a swing with canopy out there or move the dining set out there and then put a swing in the porch.

I would love to see some photos of your porch. As much as I like the conversation set I posted, I’m now thinking that it might not be enough seating for everyone.

• VaLady

Yayagal- good point about the arms on the glider! We’re hoping from what our builder has told us about the Eze-Breeze windows that we’ll be able to use the porch with a fireplace heater during the day in the winter. And those metal arms would not be pleasant I’m sure.

• nhb22

Could you put your table on the grilling deck?

I'll see what I can find in past porch photos. It is not set up for this season. Currently all under tarps from the pollen.

I'd like to see what your porch looks like when finished with the Eze-Breeze windows. every season, after cleaning up the pollen, we say we are going to have our porch closed in somehow for the winter and spring.