0

Flooring Pro? Installation Question

happilywander
Hi! We are having vinyl plank installed in our whole downstairs, 1,000 square feet, including kitchen, bathroom, and laundry room. The flooring store where we purchased the vinyl recommended that we also purchase transitional pieces (baby thresholds) for between the kitchen and laundry room even though we are continuing the same flooring. They have indicated that this is needed because of the weight of the washer and dryer, and that it will help to keep the flooring from eventually buckling years down the road. Our installer does not seem to think that this is necessary. I would love to know what others think!

• suseyb

What do the installation instructions say? I would follow those before I did what the installer or the store required.

• happilywander

Thank you, suseyb! The installation instructions do not say anything about square footage maximums or about transitional pieces.

• suseyb

Have you called the manufacturer?

• happilywander
    I have called but am not having luck getting anyone on the phone so I thought I’d ask here. The product is Coretec made by Shaw.
  • SJ McCarthy

Floating floors traditionally require t-moldings through doorways or through pinch points (like a narrow breezeway). CoreTech has slightly better "long run" numbers that most floors but they still require transition strips through doorways. They still "move" a little throughout the year. A doorway is a pinch point that can cause big issues down the road. If the floor wants to "move" and the doorway prevents it from moving as it wants, the floor will simply rip itself apart...at the doorway. And once it does it, it will always do it. You can repair that thing until the cows come home and the next season the EXACT thing will happen again, and again, and again.

So the answer is to put the t-molding in BEFORE there is an issue so that you never have an issue. And this will be the rule of thumb for ALL doorways. All of them. Regardless of what floor is on the other side.

In other words the flooring store is correct, but not in the way that they say. Washer/dryers usually aren't heavy enough to anchor a floor (if a fridge and a dishwasher can sit on the floor, so too can washer/dryers). The only time the weight would be too much would be a STACKED washer/dryer combo (pounds per square inch would be very high, thereby requiring the floor to be cut out from underneath the combo).

I've seen installers ruin floating floor installations because they "didn't think" something was needed. If the flooring store recommends t-moldings through doorways with a floating floor, then I HIGHLY recommend you stick with the plan. Their reasoning may not be "sound" but the end result is appropriate = t-molding through doorways.

happilywander thanked SJ McCarthy
  • happilywander

SJ, thank you so much! This is exactly what we needed to know. I really appreciate the information and the level of detail that you provided. Have a great weekend!

• suseyb

Is the floor SPC or WPC?