Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucillle

Experimental baking

lucillle
5 years ago
last modified: 5 years ago

A while back I bought some mixed grain flour and tried it 50/50 with regular bread flour to bake a loaf of bread in my machine. It was just OK, too dense for my liking. Today I tried using only 1/4 of the mixed grain flour and the result was amazing! It rose higher than my plain white loaf usually does but had delicious taste and texture with that crunchy nuttiness I was looking for.

Comments (4)

• arcy_gw
    5 years ago

LOL your title caught my eye. My MIL graduated with a BS in Experimental Cookery, 60 years ago from Iowa State. If she were still alive I bet she could tell you the chemistry.

• ritaweeda
    5 years ago

I should try it, I already do whole wheat bread 50/50 or if I use rye flour I do it in thirds. I'll be glad when things get back to normal around here, I haven't made bread in awhile now. Oh, yeah, we went to the new Longhorn Steakhouse that just opened up around here, they brought us a lovely loaf of whole wheat bread and it tasted OK (wasn't bitter like some are) but it was very dense, I guess it didn't have any regular flour in it.

• nicole___
    5 years ago

Cool! I have some Rye flour that needs experimenting with. I found bags of self rising King Arthur flour on sale, 50% off. I should try some together.

• DawnInCal
    5 years ago

Sounds wonderful, Lucille!

I love trying new recipes and experimenting with those I've made before. Sometimes it works out and sometimes not, but it's always a fun, interesting and educational experience.