0

Add a wall niche in new built home? Cool or outdated?

jmw

We're completely rebuilding our home & my husband wants to put a wall niche with light for an art piece or vase (he doesn't know what type of art yet). Something similar to the attached photo. I'm apprehensive to put something like that in our new home as I feel like it's a bit outdated & doesn't go with the style of the home (modern/contemporary). Ideas or suggestions are welcome!

• lyfia

I think with modern/contemporary that would work. In a traditional my answer would be no. In a modern more so. Contemporary has so many different meanings so your mileage may vary.

jmw thanked lyfia
  • mmilos

Find the art piece first. And then use that as inspiration to design the niche.

jmw thanked mmilos
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Niches are nice!

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
    Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design

Niches can work, but if you don't already have a piece of art in mind I'd skip it.

jmw thanked Sina Sadeddin Architectural Design
  • cpartist

I loved the niches in my bedroom in my last house.

Well I was going to upload a picture but it seems uploading pics isn't working right now.

jmw thanked cpartist
    Mark Bischak, Architect

I thought you said sneetches.

Mark Bischak, Architect

I vote to find the artwork first.

jmw thanked Mark Bischak, Architect
  • drsaj

I closed in all but one of the niches while remodeling our new home because I didn't want the niche to dictate what I put on a wall. I agree with another poster who said find the art first and then build the niche.

jmw thanked drsaj
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Yep...art first, niche second. But if the niche is large enough, one can always change and rotate the art.

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • pennydesign

I wouldn't do a niche for a painting, but I would for something sculptural...so it could only be a specific depth and height---

I wouldn't do this if I didn't have the piece first. You should only build a "home" for something you love...

jmw thanked pennydesign
  • jmw

Thank you all for your input. I agree that it should be built around a specific piece & not just a random niche. If we do it, it will be on a wall that will be about 3-4 feet wide, 9 feet tall and will be in a walkway between our living room into our family room. If we don't put a niche with some art there, we would hang something on the wall. I agree that we should decide upon what art will be there first & design the size of the niche around it. Now to decide which piece to choose......

Virgil Carter Fine Art

A niche, with switched (dimmable) lighting is perfect for a single (preferably large) painting. But, if deep enough, it could also be ideal for 3-dimensional art pieces. One way to achieve added depth is to finish the niche with a sill piece painted to match the wall or trim.

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • drsaj

This is the only niche I kept out of multiple niches. It adds some interest going into the master suite.

jmw thanked drsaj
    JAN MOYER

No. Buy a great pedestal, and spare yourself a drywall project later on. I beg you NO.

Especially with art that is less than collector quality or at the very least ORIGINAL. Even then? skip it. Why? Great art doesn't need a niche. : ) That's why.

jmw thanked JAN MOYER
  • arcy_gw

I always assume when I see them the first owner had art s/he wanted/ NEEDED to display. You don't have art--so it makes no sense to me. In every case posted here second/third owners are lamenting about the dang niches. Doesn't matter if it is 'in' or not you don't NEED one.

jmw thanked arcy_gw
  • Mrs Pete

I'm going against the crowd here: Doesn't matter if you have the piece of artwork. You're likely to want something new /different after a couple years anyway. If you want the niche, plan something that will work with multiple pieces of art. Similarly, if you resell, you'd want a niche in which the new owner could see his or her own items.

jmw thanked Mrs Pete
    BeverlyFLADeziner

no niches, Spend money on effective lighting

jmw thanked BeverlyFLADeziner
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Bad lighting ( a single wall washer with two large paintings) and a terrible ceiling. And 1950s drapes.

Otherwise, wonderful.

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • jmw thanked Yayagal
  • clt3

We just had the 2 in our dining room drywalled over. I don't like how they dictate what size art you need to use. Also one was behind where the china cabinet goes. I would skip them.

jmw thanked clt3
  • One Devoted Dame

We're completely rebuilding our home & my husband wants to put a wall niche with light for an art piece or vase (he doesn't know what type of art yet).

Is he like most guys, and doesn't really have very many "requests" for interior stuff?

If he's a typical guy, and is mostly letting you pick whatever you want, I'd put in as many niches as he wants.

If he's atypical, and has opinions about everything going into the house, I'd (again) do as many niches as he wants, because in the grand scheme of things, niches aren't worth marital discord.

[My personal bias: I submitted to my husband's desire for a quick tract/production house, even though I strongly wanted to stay in a rental, and work on going full custom. I have not died yet. lol]

jmw thanked One Devoted Dame
  • worthy

It's important that the niche is adequately sized.

Yes.
    Over-reaching.

jmw thanked worthy
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Or, as others have previously pointed out, it's a good idea to first pick out the art and make sure it's worth a niche...!

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
    Virgil Carter Fine Art

Well...it's seems worth pointing out, that if one is going to create a niche for art, it should be placed in an appropriate location, and not simply plopped into the near-middle of a wall, in some random fashion, in some room or other...

I just Googled "wall niche", and after looking at the images, I'm ready to change my mind about the advisibility of having a wall niche.

I know...it's a crazy way to look at things...at niches...!

jmw thanked Virgil Carter Fine Art
  • IdaClaire

Niches are wonderful, provided they display something worth displaying. Here's where my snobbery comes out, as "worth displaying" does not mean in my estimation a collection of random stuff picked up at Home Goods, TJ Maxx, and the like. What resides in a niche should be special. Special doesn't have to mean expensive, but unique and original (if at all possible), and if it conveys something about the people who live in the house, that's even better.

jmw thanked IdaClaire
  • pennydesign

Visit your local college when they have a student showing. You will make some budding artists entire year...and you'll feel good about doing so...

jmw thanked pennydesign
  • IdaClaire

My favorite large paintings were done by a college art student who delivered them to my previous home in the back of his pickup truck about 15 years ago. He's now in NYC with a thriving art career. Excellent suggestion from pennydesign.

jmw thanked IdaClaire
  • jmw

Thank you to all of you for your input. @Worthy, that's exactly the type of niche my husband would love! Thanks for the laugh ;-) When I said that my husband didn't know what he was going to put in it, I meant that he has art from around the world (paintings/pictures as well as 3D pieces) but that he hadn't chosen which piece he would feature. BUT.......we had a meeting today with the architect, contractor & designer & they all agreed that we should forego the niche in the location we were planning on. I was surprised that my husband was OK with that. I appreciate all of you taking the time to respond!

• bluesanne

If the artwork is worthy of a niche, it doesn't need one.

On the other hand, I always loved the telephone niches in older houses...but I suppose those are now totally obsolete!

• Angel 18432

skip the niche and put the art where it best fits. Been there, done it, and wouldn't do it again.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

I always loved the telephone niches in older houses...but I suppose those are now totally obsolete!

Good place for a charging station for cell phones?

• One Devoted Dame

Dang it, Miss Anne, you know, the phrase "totally obsolete" just makes me want one.

...With operable shutters on it.

lol

• tatts

"The Bucket residence! The lady of the house speaking!

No, that's boo-kay."