0

Antique, engineered or regular hardwood?

riverrat1

We are soon to start building a new/old home in South Louisiana. It's time to start thinking about the floors. This home will be 2700 sq. ft. built on piers with a drilled shaft foundation. The house will be 2 and 1/2ft. off the ground. I really want to use antique hardwood for the look. But, I've read/heard it's not as stable as regular or engineered hardwood in a 3-4 inch plank? Whatever we get will be site finished. I have a designer and an architect that have recommended regular white oak hardwood or Antique Oak Thresher flooring.

Heat, humidity and rain are a real concern in this part of the world. We will have the dirt under the house turtlebacked for drainage. Gutters will be installed and we will have humidity control on the HVAC.

The house we have now has some minor buckling hardwoods and I want to eliminate that in the new house.

What size planks are the most stable? What kind of barrier should be used under the house to keep the humidity off the floor joist and plywood? I want to be informed and see if your recommendations are the same as the designers. Thank you from a person that really doesn't know a lot about hardwoods.

• nini804

We are in the SE, and also have a lot of humidity. Our crawl space is sealed and conditioned. We have 5” wide white oak site finished floors. They seem ok, but we also have a whole house humidifier/dehumidifier. I read somewhere that 3” or less are the most stable. If I were to build again (not at all planning to - eek!!) I would probably choose 3” or even 2.5” which is the most traditional size. EVERYONE in my custom home neighborhood was doing the wider planks when we built 8 years ago so we went with that as well. Now that I have an even firmer grasp of my aesthetic, I would choose the more traditional size, lol.

riverrat1 thanked nini804
    Oak & Broad

riverrat1 , we are just completing a project in Shreveport. Heat and humidity are real concerns in LA. Our client wisely opted for Engineered flooring although they are still finishing them on site so we are sending out the floors as unfinished. For your project there will be three important pieces to consider. Product quality, installation, and humidity controls. If you drop the ball on one of those you will have problems.

Educational Plank Flooring Examples · More Info

riverrat1 thanked Oak & Broad
  • riverrat1

nino804, thanks for your response. I do like the way traditional widths look so I'll look at the 3"-2.5" planks. When you say that your crawlspace is conditioned does that mean you have conditioned air (cool and heat) going to your crawlspace? I know that may seem like a question that should have an obvious answer but I'm not familiar. I don't know of anyone that has that and I'll make sure to discuss with the architect.

• cpartist

In your environment engineered will be more stable. I’m in SW Florida and would only do engineered

riverrat1 thanked cpartist
  • riverrat1

Oak and Broad, thank you for the link.

• riverrat1

cpartist, and your floors are beautiful! What width did you go with in the engineered wood?

• cpartist

Mine are 5" wide. I had wanted 3" but couldn't find any at the time with a decent wear layer or the color I wanted. At the time it seemed all they were showing were versions of gray or floors with lots of knots, wide plank or a combo of those. None of which I wanted. I wanted a more classic look and while 5" is not true classic it does work well in my house. :)

I didn't go with site finished because I didn't trust my builder could find someone to do it properly. (Ya think??? LOL)

riverrat1 thanked cpartist
    Oak & Broad

cpartist , thats one of the biggest reasons for prefinished. Local talent may be able to install the floors but they cant finish them. Thats why I always tell homeowners wanting to DIY their own finish it may be better to hire a pro. Its not an easy feat.

riverrat1 thanked Oak & Broad
  • cpartist

Oak and Broad, I can't even say they were able to install them at first since they didn't even bother to take a level to my concrete. Because they just laid it down on the concrete, my floors were off over 1" in 17' which then caused a 5 month delay. First because they couldn't find someone who could level the floor properly and then because the new flooring had to come on a slow boat from China. Literally.

Oak & Broad

Oh wow! Thats a real horror story. I'm sorry that happened to you.

• riverrat1

cpartist, I remember your nightmare vividly! I'm gleaning all I can from the forums in hopes that I don't have the same issues so many have with their installment. I'm so sorry that you went through that.

My designer sent an e-mail today saying the person she recommends will do the engineered site finished floors. He is dropping off samples of the antique, engineered and regular hardwood for me to look at. I've used him before to refinish some wood floors that we had in a previous house. He is very good at installment and finishing.

I'm leaning toward the engineered site finished floors.

Oak and Board, Shreveport has the same climate concerns we have in the lower part of the State, except we have a little more humidity and hurricanes. Thank you for pushing me over the edge toward Engineered wood. I think I'll be wise, too! ;-)

Oak & Broad

Sure thing! If you look for installers and finishers that have NWFA credentials it helps a lot to avoid problems!!

riverrat1 thanked Oak & Broad