0

Appropriate walkway width to porch

Kathy Darling

My home is being renovated to expand the front porch (the front of the house sits sideways to the street) to a 7 foot depth (from 4.5' depth) and new driveway. There will be a walkway from the street to the porch (one step height) and alongside the driveway. The porch and walkway will be mortared flagstone and the driveway will be broom finished concrete. My question is how wide should the walkway be that will tie into the 7' wide porch? Should it be 3.5' or 4'? There will be a landing of flagstone (at the 7' width') at the beginning of the porch and the depth of the flowerbed (about 3') to allow access to the water faucet without standing in the flower bed. I drew a primitive picture to try and show how it ties together and another showing the framing for the new porch from the street view. The garage wall will be rebuilt with a smaller garage door. To the left of the walkway is grass and the orange lines in the dirt indicate the 3.5' line for the walkway. Thank you for any advice.

• Kathi Steele

I am for a larger walkway. If you have 2 people walking, 4' is better.

Also, if your driveway is going to be wide enough for 2 cars, please consider making the driveway as wide as the actual garage. It leaves room to walk around the vehicles when getting out of the car without walking in the grass.

Kathy Darling thanked Kathi Steele
  • Kathy Darling

Thank you for your comments and observations. The garage door will be replaced with a narrower garage door as the porch is being extended. We had already claimed some of the garage footprint for an indoor laundry and pantry. So a 2 car garage door was not necessary. There is only one car now, and the new driveway will be 19' wide, so that will be fine. As far as the width of the walkway, it will butt up against the driveway, so technically plenty of space for two to walk side by side. However, I wondered if the 3.5' flagstone walkway would look too narrow when it ties up to a 7' landing and porch.

• rinq

Golden ration still applies: 1:1.6 = 4.4:7 So I'd say at least 4ft wide. Or widen the path in a fun way, lines don't need to be straight, right?

Kathy Darling thanked rinq
  • Kathy Darling

Oh my gosh! Thank you for your comments. I totally forgot about the golden ratio! As soon as I read that, I realized that was why I was apprehensive about the 3.5' walkway width. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

• Brown Dog

The wider the better for a walkway. 2 people should be able to comfortably walk side by side. No such thing as a too wide walkway.

Kathy Darling thanked Brown Dog

^^ Agree 100%!! That is one of the constant issues that arises when discussing new landscaping or vamping up curb appeal - the walkways are insufficiently sized. I would consider 4' to be a minimum width.....5' is better. And if you are connecting to 7' wide porch landing, a wider walkway that expands or flares out as it approaches the landing to match the width is even better.

Kathy Darling thanked gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
  • Kathi Steele

Sounds like you have thought this out!

Good luck and post pictures when you finish!!

Kathy Darling thanked Kathi Steele
  • Kathy Darling

I am SO glad I posted as the framing is happening today! You all are confirming your agreement that a wider width is the best choice. I can't thank you all enough for your advice to me. I appreciate it so much!

• Kathy Darling

I will definitely post a picture of the final outcome. Thanks to all of you, I am avoiding a big mistake!