0

Tile design: should I lay this wall tile with a half or third offset?

Fatima

I'm doing 2 opposing walls of the bathroom with this white (lightly lined with gray) tile, and the shower and opposite wall with this black/gray striped tile. Both will have 1/8 spacing, the black/gray tile will go vertically and will sit straight (no offset since it already has a pattern) and the white will be horizontally. I'm torn, should the white sit with a 1/2 offset or a 1/3? The bathroom isn't the largest, and I'm going for a good contrast between black and white, I don't want it all to look too busy, yet I know there are non-aesthetic benefits to a 1/3 offset (like hiding any lippage). The floor will be the square floor tile version of the white wall tile. Please help me decide!

1/2 set offset for the white tile
1/3 set offset for the white tile
Straight, no offset for the white tile
Another option/change something else, please comment

Skippack Tile & Stone

I did not vote, but pick another tile, it will not look good. If you look on the last photo from the link, you will notice they don't even show any of them together; they added another material between the rows to break it up. I'm guessing it's because visually it does not work.

• kudzu9

Since those tiles are 12 X 24, even 1/3 offset will not hide lippage, just minimize it some. Have you checked to see if those tiles are dead flat?

JAN MOYER

I don't love then together.

Me either IMO that wall tile will not be pleasant to look at when it is done in a shower .

• Fatima

I appreciate the candid feedback on the black tile. Just to clarify only one of the shower walls would have the black/gray tile, not the entire shower...that would be pretty dark. with the unanimous “no’s” I’m thinking about this more

• roar11

As others have said, these don't really go together. You're taking two circa 2011 trends and mashing them together.

• kudzu9

Fatima-

Glad you are reconsidering. I think in the abstract the tile looks interesting, but in a real world application I think it would make an overwhelming wall, especially in a smaller room like a bathroom. And you would probably get tired of it quickly.