Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palomalou_gw

refrigerator advice

palomalou
5 years ago

Anybody with a good one who has had it for 10ish years and likes it, problem-free? Considering junking this 7 years old lemon Kitchenaid.

Comments (9)

• M
    5 years ago

Our SubZero lasted somewhere on the order of 25 years before we replaced it during our remodel. The brand has a reputation for longevity and for appliances that can be repaired for a long time. You do pay for this though. Cheaper mainstream brands cut corners and change their product lines constantly, so even if you wanted to repair them, you frequently have a difficult time getting replacement parts after only a few years.

• miatadan roy
    5 years ago

Maybe I just had good luck with mainstream brands, My GE range ( smooth top ) has had no issues, self cleaning always worked perfect, Whirlpool fridge basic ( top freezer, no ice maker ) model , basically noise free, no issues, everything works well. Both purchased in 2005

• Anne Duke
    5 years ago
    I’ve had a KA for five years. Gaskets around the doors aren’t great, I’ve got a couple duct taped, but cooling and freezing have been flawless, the plastic parts are intact and it’s a breeze to clean. Every time I buy an appliance I drive myself crazy reading reviews, etc... and then I follow instinct.
  • wdccruise
    5 years ago

Consumer Reports consumer surveys returned different reliability ratings for different types of refrigerators (top freezer, bottom freezer, etc.). You can check its ratings.

• dadoes
    5 years ago

Consumer Reports last I knew instructs subscribers responding to the yearly survey to include data on appliances 5 years old or newer. That skews the data. One could have a refrigerator that had a problem at 3 years and never again for 20+ years and that wouldn't be included in the ratings (unless the owner of it fibbed and answered the survey anyway).

• jalarse
    5 years ago
    Bought my Sub Zero in 2002. Still going strong. (Knock on wood).
  • wdccruise
    5 years ago
    Consumer Reports has likely determined that data on old appliances is not relevant to calculating the reliability of new ones. I had a GE washer that was still running after 35 years; that's not relevant to the reliability of a new GE washer (and GE is a Haier brand now) though it would be nice if it were as I recently bought a new one!
  • dadoes
    5 years ago

CR is mass marketing to the uninformed consumer. I have seen errors in their reviews and product specification information. I once brought a couple errors on a product to their attention, they did not acknowledge the communication and did not correct the errors. Bah.