0
ltlwillie1280

Dining room remodel almost done...table no longer matches :(

Matt

I'm almost done with our dining room remodel minus some touch up work so we moved our Amish made table back in. I knew it likely wouldn't go with the new look, but now that it's officially in there it looks even worse. Kinda stinks since this is our single most expensive piece of furniture we own and it's quality is superb.

I suspect there are no styling/design tricks that can make this somehow less obtrusive?

If not, i guess it's off to craigslist to try and recoup some of our money.

• Amanda Smith

No to Gray Soectrum. It’s all gray. You need to tie in the orange of the chairs.

• Amanda Smith

Meant Spectrum.

• Angel 18432

Probably not the pattern you want, but this is the coloring you need to be

looking for. The orangey brown.

• csevene
    Gray Aria has the colors of furniture as well as some white and gray pulling it all together .. very nice IMO.
    Once accessories are also in the room you won’t only see the dining set as you do now.
    Maybe try having just 4 chairs at the table putting other two elsewhere until needed...just a thought.
    I think this furniture will work fine once some other elements are added.
  • CLC

keep the furniture and try out some different rugs. Add some art and window treatment to tie in the colors.

• Matt
    @Groveraxle....where did you find the one that is second from the bottom? What’s it called?
  • groveraxle

Matt, second from the bottom is called Cleveland. Might not come big enough though. https://plushrugs.com/mat-the-basics/nile/cleveland/#88095

• groveraxle

Here are the last two from kulrn. They seem to have just enough of the warm almost-orange to bridge the gap.

• lindahambleton

The first one of the last two from Grover is the one. IMHO. :)

• Kathryn P

I agree that the first from grover's last pairing looks great. It's predominantly the same color as the floor, so doesn't stand out, but ties the gray and orange together.

• shead

I don't think you really need a modern style rug in the room nor does the rug have to have exactly the same color as the wood. You just need a visual break between the floor and the table and with your room's style, I'd lean more toward a traditional/oriental rug.

For instance, I think a rug like this would be lovely:

https://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Safavieh-Sofia-Vintage-Oriental-Light-Grey-Beige-Rug-8-X-10/11740704/product.html

• groveraxle

Here is shead's rug. It looks good, but I still think a bit of warmth in the rug would tie things together better.

• groveraxle

A Persian, just for kicks:

• shead

I really like that Persian, groveraxle! Very classy and fitting for the style of the table and the room itself :)

• kulrn

Ooooh, that's what the room needed Grover! I do like the others I posted, but the Persain adds class!

• Angel 18432

Sorry, I disagree The Persian bring another "style" into the room and we are trying to mesh the two that are there already. Just my 2 scents.

• Amoeba-meba

I also like the Persian that Grover found. The colors are what the room needs. The reds complement the warm tones of the dining set. The grays echo the wall color. I especially like the blacks that tie back to the chandelier. If the style isn't to the OP's liking, I think the colors could be used as a guide.

• Vee Zee
    Sorry to say it but you need to get a new table and chairs. You will never be happy with the way it looks if you don’t. Beautiful set but your aesthetic has changed.
  • anne_estes027

I agree with the suggestions to get a different chandelier, soften and warm the paint color and get a rug. It's a very cool dining set, and not something you see every day. Unless you are 100% married to the dark grey wall space, I think you can make it work and I think it's worth the effort.

• pkpk23

Persian rug not a “style” - considered a neutral classic that goes with any style. The colors are exactly what your room needs if you want to keep furniture.

Even better choice would be get that rug and change gray wall color.

• anne_estes027

I can also see a very neutral piece of carpeting in a greige under that table. No pattern, just a piece of carpet. Then what if you put up a couple of Roman shades in those windows using orange or yellow or purple or whatever. I know the advice has been to not introduce another color and not to introduce more geometry. But I think this room needs to break some rules. Sorry I don't know how to make the picture of the greige carpet smaller.

• Matt

Well, all the rugs from esale arrived and sadly all of them are going back. I ordered the Aria, Spectrum, Solaris, Trellis, Outdoor Modern and Harvest. None of them fit look of the room in person and none of them made the wife go "Oh i like that one...".

So back to the drawing board....and a call to esale to figure out how to send back all of these unrolled rugs :(

• Rachel Nye
    Sad you are covering beautiful new floors with rugs. All these pictures with the rugs make me think of the saying "putting lipstick on a pig". Sorry! I would be spending time looking for a new dining set. Can you use this one in another part of your home?
  • Rachel Nye

Something like this would fit look of room. Not too bad of prices and could finance. This is Haverty's. Our table we bought from our old landlord, I went to sell it and like you realized it was worth a lot of money. I just changed chairs to meet the style of my house.

• tartanmeup

Sorry to hear the rugs didn't work out for you. I can understand if your aesthetic has changed and you want a new dining set. I wouldn't replace this set with something made in China though. FWIW, this is the kind of colour I was envisioning for your walls. Doesn't have to be this dark. Similar colour in Grover's Persian rug, I think.

• kulrn

I just got this rug from rugsusa.com. Has quite a bit of gray and orange in it. One side is pretty blue, but it's a nice rug, https://www.rugsusa.com/rugsusa/rugs/rugs-usa-obscure-rosette/Ivory/200KHMC35A-P.html 40% off now, but I got it at 55% bargin for 9x12...

• Me Ora

This is what I would do, I would turn the table so that the person sitting at the head of the table is facing view from the home entry. I would pair this with a nice large China cabinet/hutch with a counter space behind for a nice space to have decanters and near the glassware, the hutch should be in a complimentary wood to the table and glass to compliment the glass of the chandelier and black iron hardware too. And then I would pair it a black iron centerpiece to mimic the design of the chandelier, actually I would do 2 on either side of the table and leave the chandelier centered, kind of like the ones I'm posting, with glass encasing for the lights. Two chairs on either side of the hutch, in a soft fabric which may be used as the same materials for some seat cushions for the other chairs. Once you find a rug color combination that will help you find the curtain color, and the rods would be in the same finish as your chandelier. And then some art in the wall space between the two windows

• Matt

We actually have a hutch/china cabinet thing from my great aunt that i was going to craigslist that is a similar color, but not so much in style. I'll snap a pic of it tonight.

I just don't know if i want to add more of that orangey wood to the room.

I like the idea of turning the table...that's how the previous owners had their table which i didn't realize until a posted that realtor photo further up this thread.

• Me Ora

Actually now that I have looked at your space more I was thinking the table doesn't need all the chairs constantly there two can serve as the accent chairs. And then since you have a smaller space for art between the two windows instead of a big art piece an iron wall hanging might be nice if anything there at all. If you don't want to add more of that wood in the house if you did want to place a buffet table in there similar to the spot where the previous owners had you can place some art above it and also go with an iron piece. Sort of like the one I'm posting and that's a spot you could place the decanter and such in case your cabinet doesn't have a counter space.

• Matt

I built this table out of some old barn wood I found and some black iron pipe. It’s currently in our kitchen but it’s going to be eliminated as part of that remodel. Wonder if that would work in the dining room? I could easily sand and restain the wood if that color doesn’t work for some reason. I could also repaint the iron to a black or something vs. the current pewter’ish color.

It’s about 3’ long and 12-14” deep.

• Rachel Nye
    that's nice and you seem handy. Have you considered staining table and painting chairs/or slip covers for them? I am painstakingly removeing all orange wood from my house. I just finished my stairs myself. It was a project but one a mom with three small kids was able to accomplish. We had our orange cabinets professionally painted with a spray lacquer. Next step removing orange wood hallway. You can see my eyes have a real aversion to the orange wood;)
  • Matt

Thanks! I don't really want to consider refinishing the table and chairs. I'd be concerned that the all natural finishes the Amish use will be tough to get out and could possible react with the new finish. My wife and i grew up with nothing but plain white walls and orange cabinets...hence why we are so anti-that nowadays!

• Rachel Nye

similar chairs to your's painted white

• Rachel Nye
    Is there a local Amish place that would perhaps do it for you?
  • talaveran

It's a hand-rubbed finish that is made to last years and has for various family members and myself. I'd really caution against that idea. The table has a classic design that shouldn't be altered.

• Rachel Nye

If stuck on keeping set. I would do a neutral rug, chair covers and set the table.

• Amanda Smith

True, honey oak had its heyday in the 90’s but I don’t understand the absolute hatred of it, especially the finely made pieces like your dining set. I would love to see a plan that can integrate your dining set into a fresh design plan for today. A design challenge to be sure. I’m just tired of the cookie-cutter rooms that I’m seeing again and again...

• Rachel Nye
    If you did full length chair covers you could omit rug all together. wWhich I am in favor for as a rug in dining room no different than carpet there. It seems the rug is covering most of the floor. If the space was larger perhaps a rug would work.
  • Me Ora

That's why it's so hard to work existing furniture into the remodel. Of course it's best to start with the structure style your going to go with for the whole house, and it's nice to keep it consistent especially if you move and take your stuff to the new place it's almost easier to just start over if your pieces don't even work in the spaces. So I think it is a big question about this piece is this the woodwork your going with for the whole home, because I thought we we just going to contain it to the table and hutch, is the black iron used through out the home or just this space. It'd be nice to keep a flow, instead of throwing a bunch of pieces together and ending up with regret. If you have the money and energy to continue jumping on each new trend that arrives okay or maybe you want to decide your style and do the best at that, no matter what trend and style it is you have you do it right for you and your home for it to then have a timeless look, if you think your moving from this place, do what you want for now, if this is your forever home you might want to decide on a look that in the future you will still love and not want to fuss with.

RL Relocation LLC

My first issue with the room was the light fixture if you got something a little more period to the table, and used filament style light bulbs it would help a lot. the black is a bit staggering and really does nothing for the lines of the table or the room.

• Amanda Smith

Honey oak looks good with black. How about trying a black table runner?

• Amanda Smith

I like your existing light fixture. I would try the black tablerunner and possibly white chair slip covers on the two head chairs.

• Amanda Smith

Modern brass decor might work on the table.

• Amanda Smith

Honey oak can be integrated into a modern design. It just takes some thought....

RL Relocation LLC

Hmm guess my post didn't go thru yesterday. But I believe part of the problem is the lighting, it doesn't really go ..