Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daneejela

Need help with making attic apartment cozy

daneejela
5 years ago

Hello everyone :) I have learned so much from you guys about layout, colour, proportions etc, but I still feel clueless when comes to my space, which has pretty unusual architecture and many challenging obstacles.

It's an open space in the apartment for two (me and hubby at the moment) with small kitchen opened to dinning and living room area. Open space feels great in many aspects and suits our needs at the moment, but it's ten times more complex to layout and decorate then divided rooms.

Please forgive me, some things are not yet finished (missing doors, windows sills, stair railing, upper elements in kitchen etc, but should arrive soon). We haven't bought any furniture yet (except sofa), I wanted to hear your thoughts first. :)

I wanted it all white, and while I still like it feels like it's a bit too bright and white, specially where two tall white walls connect. I would like to avoid to paint it all one more time, since it's just have been painted few days ago, but I was thinking about painting maybe one wall (behind couch) or adding a wallpaper there.

What do you think - should I paint a wall behind couch? In what colour? What colour would work for window treatments?

My overall style - I like light and cozy places, mostly Scandinavian design with some unexpected vintage or even rustic details. I like balanced spaces which are not neither too warm nor too cool in colour.

What I love about our space architecture is that it has a lot of natural light and with that height feels very open. Our budget is pretty tight, so I am aiming more for charming then glam. :)

P.S. sorry for my English :)

Comments (32)

• suero
    5 years ago

Please provide a rough layout of the space with the future doors noted on the layout. How high are your ceiling(s)? You can delineate spaces in a open plan with rugs and vertical elements. Rather than painting a wall, you could get a cozy look with large artwork, or better yet, a quilt on one wall.

daneejela thanked suero
  • daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

Here are some pictures:

Floor layout:

View from living "room". Fireplace column will be covered with brick. Chairs, table and rug are old , just temporary here, that goes out. Kitchen missing hood and shelves. Stair rail is old and will be replaced with wrought iron rail.

View from bedroom door:

(Balcony needs to be fixed, so that ugly brick wall should be replaced with pleasant view)

Living "room" (tv will be mounted on the wall):

Tall wall (we still need to fine tune the lighting):

Wall connecting living and dinning "room":

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Sorry if I wrote a too long post or too many pictures, I wanted to illustrate whole place...my main concern at the moment is the living room space, how to make it cozy, warmer, welcoming?
    I plan to buy some shaggy rug, coffee table, armchair, window treatments, but I wonder if it would still feel too white and sterile?

What kind of window treatments should I go for?
    What color for rug and window treatments? Would some light beige work with the gray sofa?

• J Williams
    5 years ago

looks less like an attic, and more like a second floor..I thought “Scandinavian” style often meant white or light walls, or very neutral, so it looks like you already have that, do you have inspiration pics?

daneejela thanked J Williams
  • daneejela thanked J Williams
  • daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

It actually was an attic that we raised a bit, so it's pretty high now.

The overall space I like, but that living room corner I am afraid that looks too white and sterile, and I wonder how to change that - will rug, art and window curtains be enough to soften it?

What rug color would work with the sofa and flooring - I was thinking about something creamy/light beige...would that clash with the sofa?

Also, at the moment I am struggling with the window treatments - should I go with curtains or shades? Or combined?
    If I go with curtains - on this wide window I need to set the rack under the beam, would it be too low?

• localeater
    5 years ago

It’s a beautiful space. I am pretty minimalist when it comes to window treatments but privacy is not an issue where I live as it is rural. I think a natural woven shade on the kitchen window would be lovely. I wouldn’t want to cover the door to the patio so I would do something to add privacy to the glass, probably with rice paper. I might do a pattern on the two living room windows or repeat the same and save the patterns for throw pillows.

The white is great and when you have hung art and added plants you will love it.

daneejela thanked localeater
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Whatever happened to this plan?

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle

Thank you for your comment! I've read many of your posts and you always have amazing and helpful suggestions!

Regarding old plan..hubby would like to have a comfy armchair (not the one on the picture, we still need to buy one), so we decided to ditch the idea of two sofas and instead have one sofa, armchair and maybe some informal seating like a stool, or small ottoman or maybe just 2,3 stacked cushions for when we want to just sit near fire.

What do you think, should we buy that armchair also in a neutral color or should we go with something bolder?

I like the colors in the rug, but I am a bit chicken with rugs and color, plus it's hard to find here anything colorful and nice in that size, so I was thinking to go with a calmer, maybe even monochrome, textured (shaggy) rug and incorporate colors through art, accessories and smaller furniture (like maybe that armchair)..

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Because this area is so small, I'd skip the rug.

Don't skip the art, though.

daneejela thanked groveraxle
  • daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

localeater
    Thank you! I love minimalist window treatment too...if we were living in the countryside I would probably leave most of the windows without treatments, but unfortunately, we have very close neighbors and also a street (on the side with three windows) so I have to put something...

Balcony doors need the least privacy, but it's one place where I would like to put some light sheers...I like the idea of open doors in spring and summer with soft sheers framing the doors.

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Daneejela, what armchair are you thinking of buying? And where are you located? (Obviously, everything I sourced above is from the U.S.)

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle Thank you!!
    Woow, it looks ten times cozier with art and plant!
    I was just experimenting today with the red and pink pillows (those are just my t-shirts over the pillow) but now I am starting to really like it with an accent chair like this! The plant there looks great...I was previously thinking of putting a tall one in the corner next to the sofa.

And I like the shades too.
    Would it look weird to have shades on short windows and curtains on full-length windows (the big window next to it and balcony doors)?

Do you have any advice on the tall wall where the tv is - should I put some art there too? Would it be too much? There are recessed lights light-washing that wall (at least they should after we buy right bulbs :) ), so maybe something subtle that would make interest with the light?

One more time, thank you a lot!

• rinked
    5 years ago

That's a lovely apartment!

Please don't brick the chimney! I like the concrete look! (If you don't, maybe plaster or tiles, but not brick!) And the table looks fine, just add nice open chairs. And all white looks great too, furniture and the flooring adds warmth.

One sofa is a great idea, since the 'living room' is tiny and scandinavian style leans toward minimalism. Personally I'd keep it easy on the artwork, pick a few statement pieces. Use a rug for the lounge, not the dining.

daneejela thanked rinked
  • daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rinq
    Thank you! I love the photos you've posted!

Brick (old brick) is hubby's wish that I have a love-hate relationship with, I've seen some places where it actually looks cool but I wouldn't mind (or even prefer) if we just leave the concrete look or just paint it light gray.

Current rugs are just old, low-quality rugs in bad shape that we used to protect the flooring during sensitive works, they'll be removed.

The table is actually my desk, it's too small for comfortable dining, so we'll get another table for dining and this one we'll put on the other side of the chimney, next to stairs, where would be a work "corner".

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle

I am in Europe, Croatia...I like the airy light chairs similar to what you have mocked.
    I'll try to find one from the local stores..

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

A chair like this would be perfect for this room:

I would totally skip the rug in here. It will make the space feel smaller.

• rinked
    5 years ago

Don't center the tv, by the way. This way it doesn't become the focal point ànd there's enough space for an armchair. Wanted to place the armchair diagonal, but Paint won't let me ;)

With bench I mean this type:

Oslo Bench · More Info

Ikea chairs:

daneejela thanked rinked
  • groveraxle
    5 years ago

Well, you have plenty of furniture stores in Croatia. I know; I just spent some time at some of them online. Of course, I couldn't read anything, but the pictures suggest you should be able to find anything you want. ;-)

• grdnbeth
    5 years ago

Those floors are too pretty to cover up!

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rinq

Thank you for the layout suggestion! It makes a lot of sense and I am too going back and forth between suggested layout and current with the sofa on the adjacent wall (relative to tv). I'll try to rotate the sofa to see how does it feel in the room this way.

groveraxle

Thank you for the effort! :) There are a lot of options, I'm still searching for the right one.

You are great with the mocks, would it be too much if I ask you to mock blinds on short window and curtains on the full-length window?

If too much trouble, please just ignore and don't bother :)

• rinked
    5 years ago

Blinds on a small window and curtains on a tall window right next to it, won't look 'off' :)

I speak from personal experience! The roller blinds are the same white as the window frame and the curtains are natural cotton/linen. So my advise would be to have either the curtains in the same color or the blinds the same color as the window frame, like I did.

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

rinq That is very useful advice! I like the idea of blinds the same colour as window frame, i.e. white, and curtains in a subtle colour like light beige or light gray, or maybe even subtle blush. I actually think that might work. Thank you!

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

Curtains on this sliding door will have to stay inside the recess which will cover much of the door, even when they are open. I show this and two other options, as well.

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

groveraxle

Thanks a lot!! You are so skilled with editing! I think you should get paid by houzz since you're giving an awesome contribution to design dilemma discussions. :)

Although I like how the 2nd and 3rd look, I think I'll go with the first option - for the convenience - it's easier to open/close that doors and in summer I can leave them opened and turn over curtains to have protection while opened.

I think I'll try to extend it out of frame despite that nasty beam...funny thing, a year ago I would put curtains as low as I can because I haven't know better, and now when I do know, I can't, lol :)

• groveraxle
    5 years ago

My concern with the curtains outside the alcove is the awkward look of the rod. I show it below. If you go this route, I would look for the most unobtrusive curtain rod you can find.

• rinked
    5 years ago

Idea: Make an upside down window sill to hang your rails on, so it can be completely opened outside the window frame. Up in the recess, but with corners sticking out (15cm at least). Either a clear coat on natural wood or paint it white.

Because I do think a rod right over the recess might look a bit strange..

daneejela thanked rinked
  • daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I agree that rod over recess looks strange.
    I just did some measurement and, since the beam is angled, with 2.5 - 3" clearance from wall rod actually sits a bit above the window frame. Not much, like half an inch, but still a bit above. So maybe it can work. :?

rinq

I love out of the box ideas! That sounds like a good idea, the only thing I am concerned about is if it would accentuate that area with the awkward beam, but definitely worth considering. Thank you!

• daneejela
    Original Author
    5 years ago

I'm considering this Ikea cotton curtains:

https://www.ikea.com/hr/hr/catalog/products/20410888/
    They feel light and airy and inexpensive enough that I can not beat my self up if I make a wrong decision :)

I like both that light beige and this light rose:

I don't need heavy drapes to block light completely since we have outside roller shutters for that. The main concern is privacy during the day.

• rinked
    5 years ago

If the rod itself hangs right in front of the recess edge it could work.

Have you taken into account the rod itself or also the rings/fabric? A centimeter is just a centimeter.. There are rod holders that can extend, but they're also less sturdy.

• rinked
    5 years ago

And be it either rod or rail, you could hang it offcenter, so when you open the curtains, they're completely under te beam.